Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared abd Undecided

I've read a little about the gastric sleeve surgery. I have had the Lap Band back in 2007 and lost 100 lbs. I got pregnant and had to have all the Fluid removed from my band. My son is 5 years old now and I'm back at my starting weight before I had the band. I can't seem to get back on track with my eating or anything to loose so I can have fluid put back in. I am thinking of having the gastric sleeve and feel like it would be an overall better option for me. I look at myself in the mirror and I'm disgusted. Help! Tell me how the sleeve is done. I've read so many things on complications of leakage and so forth. I'm scared now. LOL

Reality:

Even with the risks associated with sleeve....staying fat is much more dangerous and more likely to kill you.

I suggest having this discussion with your PCP first. You don't seem to have enough info to make an informed decision at this point. I'd be scared, too if I didn't do the homework. In the end your decision will be based on a rational, educated, calulated risk assessment, and your PCP is your first team member in that process. Everything has pros and cons in relation to your individual health and emotional situation. I wasn't ready for this surgery 5 yrs ago. Today I am ready and have no doubts or misgivings. You can begin by researching gastric sleeve on google. Even watch surgery on youtube. Reading posts here can help, too.

I agree with Nibble, IF you have a PCP you like and trust, if not I would talk to someone else or get a referral and go to the informational session. I had a great PCP that was totally on board with me, but I wasn't ready yet and my PCP retired and I got a new one and she was not helpful or comforting. Thankfully I found another one. People here are really helpful too. I can tell you that in my experience I was nervous and took me awhile to make a decision but it was a really good one.

And it is not impossible from that info session you might be directed to a new sympathetic PCP. Yes that is backwards the way it usually happens. One of my new girlfriends had an unsympstheti PCP well unsympathetic wasn't so much as apathetic, told her I don't care if you seek out WLS or not. She asked her bariatric program if they knew of a PCP who they had worked with well. They kinda looked at her funny, gave her a list of 5 in her town , she lived in adjoining to the main city. Doctor #2 , after she and Doctor talked were a perfect match and she says Dr Doris will be hers even after surgery.😝

I was scared too, just choose a good surgeon. Mine went through belly button and trained most other Dr's, his leak rate was less than 1/2 precent. I chickened out for a year 1/2 and gained 3lbs then decided to just do it

My practice doesn’t offer the band, they don’t feel it is good for the patient. The surgeon said you are still hungry but can’t eat. They recommend the sleeve for most patients, and then the bypass. I’m so pleased with the sleeve, though I’m only 50 days out.

@cledwards Hi. As you know, any surgery can be terrifying. Like you, I was concerned about leaking. I was worried that my gut would leak and I wouldn’t know it was leaking. And, as a result, I wouldn’t know to get help.

My surgeon, Dr. Gail Wynn in Newark, DE, told me that I would know if I had leakage. Fortunately, I didn’t. There are risks and it’s smart to consider everything before having surgery.

You’ve rec’d some great suggestions about starting with your PCP. An information session may be great to attend just to learn more. I imagine you attended one for your Lap Band.

I was expecting pain similar to a C-section and I was pleasantly surprised when it was much less pain than that. I had no side effects from surgery - trouble swallowing, sore throat, inability to drink Water after (it is hard too get much in at a time initially though), nausea, nor vomiting. I had nausea and extreme fatigue the third week. Probably from low calories.

My abdomen was badly bruised and very sore following surgery. I found an ice pack helped (I have an abdomen-sized one). Had severe gas pain first couple of days. It can travel, I learned and I felt it in my shoulder and back. Awful. Heating pad on that. Used a squishy pillow pushed under my stomach so that I could kind of sleep on my side. I usually sleep on my stomach. A solid pillow is great to take to the hospital on surgery day for the trip home. Press it against your stomach to help reduce pain from bouncing on ride home.

I am so happy I had the sleeve. I’m losing more slowly than some (and one person on the forum was quite rude about my weight loss when I posted my stats per request on an update on December sleevers.) I was 287 at surgery and, now at 6 months, am 218. I have fibromyalgia and arthritis so I have difficulty maintaining my exercise routine.

Anyway...fear is always reduced with knowledge and you came to a good place for that. I have a feeling that you are going to be just fine. 🦋

2C82D143-0DDC-4057-AB3F-A32D1D8DCBAD.jpeg

B59B4399-F4A4-47A1-8FF7-EE6FFEFDFF1B.jpeg

40337A7E-8984-4959-8CD7-E84A3E754B5E.jpeg

Edited by KatFight
Punctuation

@KatFight you look like and are one class act. You,look so fine!😝

You should find a Baiatric doc and consult. My doctor won’t see you till you attend his seminar. It was like 2 hours and he had patients there to answer questions. As for fear. I won’t lie, I’m 4 weeks sleeve, and it’s hard. I’m terrified to eat something new out of fear to hurt myself. I know it will get better. If you are scared, I encourage you to do research, find the doc, go to a support group and ask questions, watch my 600 pound life on TLC. Go with your gut, no pun intended.

one day it will click like me. Mine, at least was a 6 month process. Weigh ins, tests, etc. it’s not like you say ok, and have surgery. I would make sure it’s a program like mine. The 6 months was a good psych up to help.

5 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

@KatFight you look like and are one class act. You,look so fine!😝

Thank you. 🌺