Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can losing weight put you at a higher risk for depression?

I thought that dropping pounds and becoming healthier would make me happier. But why do I feel the opposite? What is the matter with me, what should I do?

4 minutes ago, Numbheart said:

I thought that dropping pounds and becoming healthier would make me happier. But why do I feel the opposite? What is the matter with me, what should I do?

It will, but it takes time. Fat causes hormone imbalances etc. that can cause issues with mood. But there is another part of the process that most folks don't fully understand.

We can become addicted to an emotion. So, we have to undo all the addictions to the negative emotions. So, the process of losing weight, requires changes that adjusts not only the hormone balances, be we eventually start to feel better about ourselves and that will cause more changes in our emotional addiction. What should you do, start being nicer to yourself, start forgiving yourself, start being proud of yourself. It will take time. But just keep doing it, day in and day out. It is worth it. This is a short excerpt from a movie called "What the bleep do we know" The movie goes into how the emotion generates peptides and Proteins that cells then create more of that 1 type of receptor when they split, so someone that is sad often, their cells will request more chemicals produced when the brain pumps out the "sad" peptides, proteins etc. It's worth a viewing.

Beware the hormone shifts. They can be insane after surgery. Some are caused by the surgery, some by losing fat (which stores hormones). On top of that, there are a lot of mental issues that you will be processing like your changing relationship with food, body image issues, changing relationships with friends, etc. Many of us find it helpful to meet with a counselor after surgery for a while to help with all this stuff. If not a therapist, maybe a pastor or someone similar. Although it does help to meet with someone with either bariatric or eating disorder experience, imho. Good luck and keep posting here. You will get a lot of support.

I am going through this right now as noted in the thread I made.

Hi. It’s not uncommon to feel depressed post-surgery or while losing weight. The lifestyle changes and new habits (like not reaching for food to ease emotions) may bring that on. For some people, professional help may be needed.

I’ve struggled with depression for years. My nurse practitioner was on high alert, particularly following surgery, but I’ve been doing well. Eventually (in the long-term), depression may ease greatly.

@Numbheart and @BuzzVSG wishing you all the best. Please reach out if you need to talk with someone about how you’re feeling. 🌻

I agree with everyone’s comments about the hormones.

I feel like my whole life, I believed things would be perfect if I lost weight or got to a certain size. This isn’t true. I’ve gone from a BMI of 50+ to 29ish, but most of my problems are still the same. It’s not a magic wand. Anyone who had suffered depression has probably dealt with someone telling them to snap out of it. There’s no easy cure for depression. The reality is that I will battle depression and my weight my whole life. They are conditions that you can treat or live with but I don’t think they can be completely solved.

My surgeon mentioned that a lot of people remember the last time they were healthy weight and they think that everything will be the same if they lose weight through surgery. But losing weight won’t make you 20 again. It won’t give you perfect relationships. It doesn’t “fix” everything. If you blamed all your problems on the fact that you were obese, you could be in for a surprise when you’re no longer obese.

If you need help, get it. Surround yourself with caring people. Be kind to yourself.

Being obese is correlated to a massive increase in the incidence of mental health issues, including depression, anxiety and personality disorders.

It's a popular misconception that obesity causes depression and anxiety....when in fact, depression and anxiety can cause obesity. It's a slippery slope of chicken or egg...and sometimes very hard to figure out.

Regardless of why you're depressed, the thing to do is to seek help.

Talk to your therapist.

Also, exercise is powerful medication for depression. You have to push yourself to get out there and do it, but it really will help.

Good sincere advice, 🏆Thank you CreekImp!

You may be going through surgical depression. If it is lasting more then a month I would talk to your doctor. Your body has been through a big change.

I said 20 years ago if I could lose weight, I would still be unhappy. Now I've lost the weight, I find out I was right. However, things are definitely much better. My savior has been exercise. I hate to do it but I always feel better after I've finished. As previously posted, start exercising and see a therapist. It really will make a difference.

On 7/2/2018 at 5:30 AM, animallover1247 said:

I said 20 years ago if I could lose weight, I would still be unhappy. Now I've lost the weight, I find out I was right. However, things are definitely much better. My savior has been exercise. I hate to do it but I always feel better after I've finished. As previously posted, start exercising and see a therapist. It really will make a difference.

I've been reading and researching about depression so I could understand more what I'm going through. I came across this site https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/depression/ and learned a lot.