Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SILS with Dr. Hector Perez - Oasis Hospital - Tijuana

It's lengthy, but I hope this helps someone.

Hi everyone, I am 11 days post op and wanted to share my complete experience in hopes of helping others since I couldn't find much info on Dr. Perez or the single incision gastric sleeve (SILS). SILS is where they only make one incision through your belly button and use a port to do the surgery. Less scarring and better recovery. I started at 191 lbs and a BMI of 35. My doctor was Dr. Hector Perez, hospital was Oasis of Hope in Tijuana Mexico. I did as much research as I could, even verifying licenses, board certifications and checking for malpractice claims. The doctor had great reviews, as did the hospital. I booked through Renew Bariatrics. My coordinator was Stella. She was knowledge and generally responded within 30 minutes of a call or text and still responds even though I'm post-op.

I decided not to tell anyone but my best friend about this procedure. I was sure of my decision, but just wanted it to be private. I arrived by myself in San Diego and was picked up by their driver. He allowed me to take a pic of the vehicle plates and his identification to send to my best friend. There was another American patient. Driver took us to the hospital in Tijuana, which was a 25 min drive. Hospital is small by American standards, but very clean and modern looking. It is a fully equipped facility. Looks like a normal hospital but with tan nurses. There were also many other patients there for cosmetic, cancer and other treatments. The room itself was large. There was a hospital bed, futon, side table, closet and marble tiled bathroom. Room came with ROKU tv and free calls to US. The staff was incredibly nice and gracious. Like you've never been treated this good at a hospital before. Their English was good and I never had a problem (I speak Spanish but demanded that all convos are in English, since that's my natural language).

Pre-op screening was labwork, physical exam, EKG and x-rays. There is a dietician on site, as well as a coordinator. I had an allergic reaction to something they gave me. My whole lower body got incredibly itchy. The response time was quick. I had a team of nurses and doctor at my side within a minute, literally a minute. After that they made sure to take extra care of me.

Day of surgery started with a visit from Dr. Perez. He answered all of my crazy questions and took his time with me. His English is perfect and he is very personable. I was taken into the pre-op waiting area outside of the surgery room. It was a small section. I was a little annoyed with the surgical assistant and nurse flirting in Spanish feet away from me, but small issue. Anesthesiologist talked to me. They rolled me in a wheelchair to the OR and had me get up on their table. I did get a good look at the ER. Looked like an American OR. Then I was out. When I woke up, I was in recovery. Since I was alone, the coordinators did a great job of keeping my bestie informed through the whole process. So thankful for that!

Recovery was tough, no joke. The pain wasn't so bad, but the gas discomfort was severe. So much that I almost regretted it. Pain killers don't work for that. You have to get up and walk. So I did, as much as I could. But boy oh boy was it terrible. That day was horrible. I had these terrible uncontrollable rapid-fire vomit burps. Pain and nausea were there and controlled with meds just fine. They kept me well hydrated. It took about a day and a half for the God awful gas to go away. I stayed in the hospital two nights and had a couple leak tests and diagnostics there. I had a drainage tube on the side of my abdomen. It was a yucky feeling getting it removed on day 2. Wasn't happy thinking it would leave a scar but it was so small and looked like a scratch and now its completely gone.

The third night, they put me up in a very swanky hotel in Tijuana. Then our driver took us back to the airport the next morning. Took 3 hours to cross into the US! I decided to walk very slowly through the airport. I needed to walk anyway. I had packed super light and had a very small under seat bag with wheels, so no lifting needed. I put on huge loose fitting dresses and comfy shoes. Remember, comfort over style! I hung out in the AIrspace lounge before the flight, comfier seats and away from the crowds. I flew first class so that I'd be more comfortable. Flight was fine, no issues coming back other than I really wished I could've enjoyed some of that first class drinks and lunch they were serving! I managed to slowly walk through the airports just fine.

I was very nauseous for the whole week after. I had my surgery Saturday and was back at work Wednesday. Not ideal, but didn't have the time to take off. I have a desk job and would just lay down in my car during breaks. After work, I just rested and nothing else. First week is tough cause you're nauseous and still hurt. Also I had some smelly gas which I was told is normal. I'm back in Houston and still get daily texts/calls from the coordinator checking on me. I have the doctor's email and personal cell phone as well. I've skyped with him.

Now I'm 11 days out and down 14 lbs already. Holy smokes I can hardly believe it! My underwear even fit again! Ha! Diet has been ok. I do wish I could eat solids but I'm terrified of causing a line leak so I'm patiently waiting.

And in case you're wondering.....I have NO visible scars. My boyfriend has seen me naked and didn't even notice anything different about me. I'm pretty sure I could wear a bikini and no one know I had this done! It was a little scary going to Mexico to have an organ amputated. But overall, the doctor, hospital and staff were great. The recovery was tough. The gas discomfort was extremely horrible, but only lasted less than 2 days. All I can say, is walk, walk, walk, walk even if it hurts. It's the only way. I'm pretty much back to normal at this point, just still on the special diet and so looking forward to the new improved ME :)

Thanks so much for this. I’m scheduled for the SILS TOMORROW!! I’m also in Tijuana, Mexico but I scheduled with Dr. Ponce. You really helped prepare me. God bless and great results! 11 pounds in 14 days! Keep it up and please keep posting. Hopefully when I’m done we can compare notes.

@newlifeat41
Im also scheduled with Dr. Ponce the end of August. I would love to hear your experience with him. Are you at INT? Im debating between the SILS or regular. What are your thoughts? Worth the extra money? Do you mind sharing the cost?

14 hours ago, Mtgirl said:

@newlifeat41
Im also scheduled with Dr. Ponce the end of August. I would love to hear your experience with him. Are you at INT? Im debating between the SILS or regular. What are your thoughts? Worth the extra money? Do you mind sharing the cost?

Hi there. I’m going to be fair and honest on my review of Dr. Ponce and the INT hospital where I had my sleeve done. I’m now almost 5 weeks out and I’m very happy about my decision. You will be well taken care of. The staff at INT are excellent. The nurses are top notch. My only complaint was that many did not speak English but were very accommodating. I downloaded google translate which helped a lot. Dr. Frayre will the surgeon who will meet with you and check up on you throughout the entire time. I never got to meet Dr. Ponce although they told me several times I would. This is the only thing that really bothered me. I felt he should have taken the time to meet me even briefly but I neither spoke to him or saw him AT ALL. He was the main operating surgeon though as they give you a DVD of your surgery to take home. So I’m sure that he does exist and performs surgeries, lol.

Now about the SILS, I’d definitely pay the extra for that. I had a SILS kind of because they had to add an extra incision due to my weird anatomy as Dr. Frayre explained it. He told me my liver was in the way although I followed the preop properly which he acknowledged was evident but my liver apparently was too long so I needed an extra incision. Anyway, even with one extra incision the healing was very quick. I don’t have any marks or scars except for a small one from the extra incision and a tiny minute one, maybe 1/2 a centimeter from the drain. Both are very, very light and are not noticeable at all.

I think their care and staff was very good and their follow up is as well. I still email Ana with questions and she answers right away. I also went alone and never felt scared at all. My only complaint was Dr. Ponce not taking time to see me. Otherwise I’d totally recommend. I’m a lower BMI so I know the weight will come off slower but I’m down 22 pounds since my preop diet.

Go for it and good luck!!!

My doctor was Hector Perez and I can't say enough good things about him. He even gave me his personal cell phone to contact him directly after surgery (and yes he answers). SILS is definitely worth it. Cost was an additional $1,000 on top of the regular $4300 fee, which I understand is a lot but think of the long term benefits. I didn't want pot hole scars across my tummy. One incision is also easier to recover from. Overall my experience was good. But it is so incredibly important to let your body heal! There were a few times that I overexerted myself or ate something I shouldn't have and it was bad. I am 6 weeks post op and just now starting to feel normal again.

On 07/31/2018 at 09:18, newlifeat41 said:

Hi there. I’m going to be fair and honest on my review of Dr. Ponce and the INT hospital where I had my sleeve done. I’m now almost 5 weeks out and I’m very happy about my decision. You will be well taken care of. The staff at INT are excellent. The nurses are top notch. My only complaint was that many did not speak English but were very accommodating. I downloaded google translate which helped a lot. Dr. Frayre will the surgeon who will meet with you and check up on you throughout the entire time. I never got to meet Dr. Ponce although they told me several times I would. This is the only thing that really bothered me. I felt he should have taken the time to meet me even briefly but I neither spoke to him or saw him AT ALL. He was the main operating surgeon though as they give you a DVD of your surgery to take home. So I’m sure that he does exist and performs surgeries, lol.

Now about the SILS, I’d definitely pay the extra for that. I had a SILS kind of because they had to add an extra incision due to my weird anatomy as Dr. Frayre explained it. He told me my liver was in the way although I followed the preop properly which he acknowledged was evident but my liver apparently was too long so I needed an extra incision. Anyway, even with one extra incision the healing was very quick. I don’t have any marks or scars except for a small one from the extra incision and a tiny minute one, maybe 1/2 a centimeter from the drain. Both are very, very light and are not noticeable at all.

I think their care and staff was very good and their follow up is as well. I still email Ana with questions and she answers right away. I also went alone and never felt scared at all. My only complaint was Dr. Ponce not taking time to see me. Otherwise I’d totally recommend. I’m a lower BMI so I know the weight will come off slower but I’m down 22 pounds since my preop diet.

Go for it and good luck!!!

Wow!! I cant believe you never even seen Dr. Ponce? ! Have you actually watched the surgery to make sure he is doing it on your body? That is so disappointing. Did you speak to Ana or the hospital about that? Thank you so much for replying to me. It really helps me so much! My BMI is 30 so im so curious how my weight loss will be? What was your BMI? Ana has has answered my 1 million emails quickly which has built my confidence up. I worked with another coordinator briefly that books for Ponce as well. But she was not very good and didn’t follow through with any of my questions. How much did the sils cost you? Did they still charge you since they had put another port in? Im worried if they will be able to do sils on me because I have had 3 c sections and a Tummy Tuck. Did you fly in the same day as surgery or night before? What time did you have the surgery? Was Ana with you during your stay and check up on you throughout? Could you give me all the advice you have to offer up! Lol
Anything you wish you would have different? Even stuff you brought for surgery. Were you sick after? I think its amazing you have lost 22lbs so far!

On 07/31/2018 at 09:32, All_Sleeved_Up said:

My doctor was Hector Perez and I can't say enough good things about him. He even gave me his personal cell phone to contact him directly after surgery (and yes he answers). SILS is definitely worth it. Cost was an additional $1,000 on top of the regular $4300 fee, which I understand is a lot but think of the long term benefits. I didn't want pot hole scars across my tummy. One incision is also easier to recover from. Overall my experience was good. But it is so incredibly important to let your body heal! There were a few times that I overexerted myself or ate something I shouldn't have and it was bad. I am 6 weeks post op and just now starting to feel normal again.

Thank for that information! So why isn’t Perez as well known? How was the hospital? Do you mind me asking your stats? How did you about your surgeon? Do you wish you would have stayed longer to recover? So you paid $5300 for everything? Sils?

11 minutes ago, Mtgirl said:

Wow!! I cant believe you never even seen Dr. Ponce?! Have you actually watched the surgery to make sure he is doing it on your body? That is so disappointing. Did you speak to Ana or the hospital about that? Thank you so much for replying to me. It really helps me so much! My BMI is 30 so im so curious how my weight loss will be? What was your BMI? Ana has has answered my 1 million emails quickly which has built my confidence up. I worked with another coordinator briefly that books for Ponce as well. But she was not very good and didn’t follow through with any of my questions. How much did the sils cost you? Did they still charge you since they had put another port in? Im worried if they will be able to do sils on me because I have had 3 c sections and a Tummy Tuck. Did you fly in the same day as surgery or night before? What time did you have the surgery? Was Ana with you during your stay and check up on you throughout? Could you give me all the advice you have to offer up! Lol
Anything you wish you would have different? Even stuff you brought for surgery. Were you sick after? I think its amazing you have lost 22lbs so far!

Hi. I’m going to answer as many of your questions as possible, lol. Yes Dr. Ponce does actually perform the surgery but rarely meets the patients, a few others on this forum have also stated this. However, his reputation in Tijuana is very good if not probably the best if that is any consolation. He gets called by other docs to handle difficult cases. I did make a complaint to Dr. Frayre and to Lana (the driver who picked me up and sent me to the airport— she checked up on me not Ana) Ana coincidentally had the sleeve done the day after I had mine. My bad luck I suppose but otherwise I think things would have gone smoother.

I had surgery the same day I flew in even though my flight was delayed and I did not arrive at INT hospital until 3-4 PM. (I should have arrived at 10:30AM and had the surgery late afternoon. I wanted to get it over with to be honest with you and needed the following two days to recover before my trek home. So I insisted they still operate and I think the docs wanted to have the weekend off (I arrived Thursday—surgery Thursday night at 10PM, hospital Friday and Saturday, hotel Saturday to Sunday, went home Sunday morning.)

My BMI was 33 when I started preop and 32 when I actually had the surgery. I was charged $6000 total which originally should have been $6500. Now the reason I was charged that was b/c originally I was considered a revision because I had an ESG (similar to gastric plication but they go through the mouth so no incisions) but that was a complete failure because I lost no weight and began to gradually gain. When the surgeons went in they said my stomach looked completely normal as if nothing had been done so they took off the $500. (That showed their honesty in my opinion b/c I had no clue). I still had to be charged the extra $1000 for the SILS because they used the special equipment required and they did discuss with me beforehand that one extra incision may be necessary but once the special SILS apparatus is used they charge. I didn’t mind the extra amount because otherwise I’d have four to six incisions instead of just one and a minute one from the drain. I had 2 c-sections and they were still able to do the SILS but I don’t know about a Tummy Tuck. Just ask Ana she is very helpful and answers you super fast.

The only advice I can give you is download google translate if your Spanish is as bad as mine, walk ALOT after surgery—it’s the only thing that will get rid of the awful gas you’ll have, which honestly by day 2 was so much better. I have not vomited at all since the surgery. I felt really nauseous the first ten minutes after I woke up from surgery and dry heaved but no vomit yet 🤞🏻🤞🏻Thankfully! I did not experience much pain at all just soreness where the incision was (I felt no pain at all at my belly button) and the drain is uncomfortable but they take it out by 2nd day and you’re good to go.

No worries the staff and everyone there take really good care of you and your surgeons are top notch. Just be prepared for slower weight loss like me because we have less to lose. The restriction however is fabulous.

Once again best of luck and please let me know how you made out!!

On 07/31/2018 at 18:47, newlifeat41 said:

Hi. I’m going to answer as many of your questions as possible, lol. Yes Dr. Ponce does actually perform the surgery but rarely meets the patients, a few others on this forum have also stated this. However, his reputation in Tijuana is very good if not probably the best if that is any consolation. He gets called by other docs to handle difficult cases. I did make a complaint to Dr. Frayre and to Lana (the driver who picked me up and sent me to the airport— she checked up on me not Ana) Ana coincidentally had the sleeve done the day after I had mine. My bad luck I suppose but otherwise I think things would have gone smoother.

I had surgery the same day I flew in even though my flight was delayed and I did not arrive at INT hospital until 3-4 PM. (I should have arrived at 10:30AM and had the surgery late afternoon. I wanted to get it over with to be honest with you and needed the following two days to recover before my trek home. So I insisted they still operate and I think the docs wanted to have the weekend off (I arrived Thursday—surgery Thursday night at 10PM, hospital Friday and Saturday, hotel Saturday to Sunday, went home Sunday morning.)

My BMI was 33 when I started preop and 32 when I actually had the surgery. I was charged $6000 total which originally should have been $6500. Now the reason I was charged that was b/c originally I was considered a revision because I had an ESG (similar to gastric plication but they go through the mouth so no incisions) but that was a complete failure because I lost no weight and began to gradually gain. When the surgeons went in they said my stomach looked completely normal as if nothing had been done so they took off the $500. (That showed their honesty in my opinion b/c I had no clue). I still had to be charged the extra $1000 for the SILS because they used the special equipment required and they did discuss with me beforehand that one extra incision may be necessary but once the special SILS apparatus is used they charge. I didn’t mind the extra amount because otherwise I’d have four to six incisions instead of just one and a minute one from the drain. I had 2 c-sections and they were still able to do the SILS but I don’t know about a Tummy Tuck. Just ask Ana she is very helpful and answers you super fast.

The only advice I can give you is download google translate if your Spanish is as bad as mine, walk ALOT after surgery—it’s the only thing that will get rid of the awful gas you’ll have, which honestly by day 2 was so much better. I have not vomited at all since the surgery. I felt really nauseous the first ten minutes after I woke up from surgery and dry heaved but no vomit yet 🤞🏻🤞🏻Thankfully! I did not experience much pain at all just soreness where the incision was (I felt no pain at all at my belly button) and the drain is uncomfortable but they take it out by 2nd day and you’re good to go.

No worries the staff and everyone there take really good care of you and your surgeons are top notch. Just be prepared for slower weight loss like me because we have less to lose. The restriction however is fabulous.

Once again best of luck and please let me know how you made out!!

You are a freaking wealth of knowledge!! Im so very appreciated for your in depth explanation. I have to know everything and Im a total research nerd 🤓 cant believe your previous ESG was a complete failure. Not on your part of course. Not even a sign of surgery or stitches? I would want a refund! Thats awesome they took off the 500. Definitely honest. So you didn’t have surgery until way late. Did you really not eat or drink any Water since the night before at 10pm? Im worried about traveling and not being able to even have a drink before surgery. I would get sick and dehydrated. So I was planning on coming in the day before and having surgery first thing in the morning. But like you said you just want to get it over with. Which is how I’m feeling now. So let me know how you handled that. Were you hungry after surgery? When did the desire to eat start to come back. Im also worried about getting hypoglycemia from not eating or drinking. Maybe the body just handles that after? But I can’t fast with out getting shakey and super grumpy. So you did 5 days of pre op diet plus an additional 3 days of yogurt and water? How was that? Not sure If I will handle that very good. How has their service been post op? Did you get good nutritional and supplement advice. She sent me a paper buts it’s not in depth and very vague. Are you taking Vitamins if so what kind and how is that going? Sorry for all the questions!
What food should I have when I get home?

9 hours ago, Mtgirl said:

You are a freaking wealth of knowledge!! Im so very appreciated for your in depth explanation. I have to know everything and Im a total research nerd 🤓 cant believe your previous ESG was a complete failure. Not on your part of course. Not even a sign of surgery or stitches? I would want a refund! Thats awesome they took off the 500. Definitely honest. So you didn’t have surgery until way late. Did you really not eat or drink any Water since the night before at 10pm? Im worried about traveling and not being able to even have a drink before surgery. I would get sick and dehydrated. So I was planning on coming in the day before and having surgery first thing in the morning. But like you said you just want to get it over with. Which is how I’m feeling now. So let me know how you handled that. Were you hungry after surgery? When did the desire to eat start to come back. Im also worried about getting hypoglycemia from not eating or drinking. Maybe the body just handles that after? But I can’t fast with out getting shakey and super grumpy. So you did 5 days of pre op diet plus an additional 3 days of yogurt and Water? How was that? Not sure If I will handle that very good. How has their service been post op? Did you get good nutritional and supplement advice. She sent me a paper buts it’s not in depth and very vague. Are you taking Vitamins if so what kind and how is that going? Sorry for all the questions!
What food should I have when I get home?

Hi there once again. I hope that everything goes smoothly with you and you don’t have the flight issues I did. When my flight was delayed I immediately emailed Ana to inform the lady Lana who was picking me up. Ana then told me at around noon to one in the afternoon to eat a yogurt and drink water but then nothing else so I could have the surgery that evening. I really didn’t feel faint or weak at all. It was not that difficult not to eat or drink on the flights (I had two flights going and coming, the flights were short and they only served Snacks and drinks). I think you’re too excited, nervous, anxious while you’re going to feel hungry or dehydrated really. When you’re coming back you won’t feel hunger after surgery. You will only feel like eating out of habit, mental hunger not physical nagging hunger at all. After surgery you won’t feel hungry they way you used to at all. I did the same preop you described. The first few days were rough adjusting to healthy eating and it’s preop so the hunger is still there but after that it was smooth sailing. By the time I got to the three day yogurt and water days I was fine with just eating yogurt and didn’t feel too bad at all. Plus I lost like 7 pounds on the preop so extra bonus!! Their postop care is good. I email Ana and she answers right away. They will also give you detailed instructions at the hospital for your postop diet up till 30 days postop. You will get a clear idea of what you an eat. Stock up on low sugar juices, broths, chamomile teas, and sugar free Jello for the first ten days postop. For Vitamins they only require you take a Megared, sold at most pharmacies and Target, and chewable Biotin. I do take my vitamins daily and so far so good.

I hope I answered everything. Let me know if any other question pops in your head.

Hi there Mtgirl. I just wanted to check up on you. How did it go? I hope you are recovering well. Please update us. I hope to hear from you real soon.

On 08/06/2018 at 10:29, newlifeat41 said:

Hi there Mtgirl. I just wanted to check up on you. How did it go? I hope you are recovering well. Please update us. I hope to hear from you real soon.

Hey! Surgery isn’t until the 31st. It feels like its dragging by 😭 Im so OCD I can’t think of anything else!! I’m so worried that this surgery might not work for me or take forever to lose the weight. Also stressing about about having severe acid reflux after. Its like my brain won’t stop!!

7 hours ago, Mtgirl said:
20 hours ago, newlifeat41 said:

Hey! Surgery isn’t until the 31st. It feels like its dragging by 😭 Im so OCD I can’t think of anything else!! I’m so worried that this surgery might not work for me or take forever to lose the weight. Also stressing about about having severe acid reflux after. Its like my brain won’t stop!!

7 hours ago, Mtgirl said:
20 hours ago, newlifeat41 said:

It will give you time to prepare yourself. It will work if you follow your doctor’s instructions. Just believe in the process. Good luck and I look forward to hearing from you after the 31st.