Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I have a half glass of Wine with a steak

21 minutes ago, BostonWLKC said:

I’d be more concerned with steak at 7 weeks... holy moly 🤢

Good luck!

Agreed. If you must have the steak take one small bite, chew it extremely well and wait ten minutes to see how you do. I am 9 weeks out on friday and I can't do beef yet. It feels like you are eating rocks. Be careful.

I had my sleeve a week before you. Since being allowed solid foods 2 weeks ago I have tried chicken, fish, shrimp, and deli ham. It will be a while before I try red meat since so many have issues with it. I am not a wine drinker but I have tried alcohol (Crown Royal/water and tequila) on a few occasions with no negative effects. I personally would not go to a restaurant and try a couple of new things for the first time since surgery because I would be humiliated getting sick in a restaurant but that is just me. Proceed with caution would be my advice.

4 hours ago, apositivelife4me said:

I am 7 weeks post op and wanted to go to my favorite restaurant and have a steak with a half glass of Pinot wine. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I was told to wait until 3 months post op before introducing alcohol.... some programs have you wait as long as 6 months. Follow your plan.

Im nine months post op and I could not possibly enjoy a steak. If I ate one it would probably be 2-4 ozs at best and it would sit in my stomach like a rock. As for having wine with the steak, are you practicing no drinking 30 mins prior and 30 after your meals. During my support group sessions this topic is brought up frequently . The best course is not to drink. If you want to then its recommended you do so at least six months post surgery.

Not doing what's popular just doing what's Right.

I tried steak at 3.5 eeeks out. I took 5 bites before I was full. Each was approx a 1/4 inch cube. I chewed it until it was like purée/stage one baby food. No probs! It was awesome. I was done (tired of chewing and full).
We’re all different. Let your body guide you. Please take small bites and chew the heck out of everything. It slows you down and gives your stomach a break.

I can tolerate wine, and steak. But I have to drink the wine first, then eat. A few bites and im too full for the wine (for hours).

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

20 hours ago, BigViffer said:

Well then I sit corrected. Alcohol is a depressant that acts similarly to a barbiturate in the fact that it suppresses the central nervous system. And it is famous for lowering inhibitions. Now I am not saying this patient will be dancing on tables with a lamp shade on their head, but the loss of sensation in the stomach inherent post op coupled with the relaxed inhibition could make it more likely to over eat.

I had not heard of people being prescribed blood thinners post op. That sounds odd to me. However, if someone is on a blood thinner, then I would imagine that any alcohol while on said thinners would be yet another reason not to drink alcohol.

Dramatic or not, it makes no difference to me if someone wants to drink a glass of wine and eat steak 7 weeks post op. I merely suggested they ask their surgeon instead of asking people on the internet.

I will ask my Dr.

Sh!t... Enjoy yourself

Ive polished off a few drinks since surgery, just don't do it everyday cause this surgery makes you a light weight.

I had my first beer the other day when I went to Bimini, drank 3/4 of the bottle and got full lol messed up my lunch and added calories to my day but couldn't pass it up with the beach view.

Enjoy your date

Edited by AASosa

I am 12 weeks post op and had steak for the first time last night. It went down ok, but not as easy as chicken or fish. I definitely could not eat as much as other foods. I think if the steak has been more tender, it would have definitely helped.

As for alcohol, I doubt a small glass of wine will hurt you. I’ve had a couple of small drinks by the pool this summer. I just stick with one small one, and I am just fine. We are heading to the beach in three weeks so I wanted to experiment with alcohol before I went, lol.

Your stomach is a lot smaller and still healing. I was told 6 months as I also like to sometimes have wine with dinner! The wine will hit you quicker than you think so hope your not planning to drive! Most people who have had the sleeve think they can drink like before. Wrong, in fact people who attempt to, normally get their first DWI after have WLS and drinking. If I were you I’d check with your doctor and see what he/she thinks.

2 minutes ago, Dmantei56 said:

Your stomach is a lot smaller and still healing. I was told 6 months as I also like to sometimes have wine with dinner! The wine will hit you quicker than you think so hope your not planning to drive! Most people who have had the sleeve think they can drink like before. Wrong, in fact people who attempt to, normally get their first DWI after have WLS and drinking. If I were you I’d check with your doctor and see what he/she thinks.

I dont have a car and dont drive. I take the bus.

I'm 3 months out and steak still scares me. lol! I was told no alcohol until 6 months.