Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I have a half glass of Wine with a steak

I am 7 weeks post op and wanted to go to my favorite restaurant and have a steak with a half glass of Pinot wine. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Best to consult your team when it comes to timing of alcohol and moving forward on your plan but either way at seven weeks post op you are going to nurse the drink or meal heavily as both may be surprisingly unpredictable to tolerate now. Enjoy!

I have had an occasional glass of wine with a meal. IMO, that's not a big deal. But at 7 weeks steak + wine might be hard on your stomach. Just be prepared for that

Having a blood thinning barbiturate so soon after any surgery is a bad idea. This is a question you should really ask your surgeons office.

3 minutes ago, BigViffer said:

Having a blood thinning barbiturate so soon after any surgery is a bad idea. This is a question you should really ask your surgeons office.

Alcohol is not a barbiturate. As for blood thinning, considering we get blood thinners post surgery, and blood thinners are not an uncommon medication, this seems a bit over dramatic considering we are talking about a 1/2 a glass of wine.

My surgeon said no alcohol for 6 months. There's a 4th of July party, I really want a glass of wine, I'm 3 months out then, I'm toying with it but I'll probably behave. I was warned by other veteran WLS people that IF you decide to drink in public, try one at home first, you never know how it will effect you.

I’d be more concerned with steak at 7 weeks... holy moly 🤢

Good luck!

30 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

Alcohol is not a barbiturate. As for blood thinning, considering we get blood thinners post surgery, and blood thinners are not an uncommon medication, this seems a bit over dramatic considering we are talking about a 1/2 a glass of wine.

Well then I sit corrected. Alcohol is a depressant that acts similarly to a barbiturate in the fact that it suppresses the central nervous system. And it is famous for lowering inhibitions. Now I am not saying this patient will be dancing on tables with a lamp shade on their head, but the loss of sensation in the stomach inherent post op coupled with the relaxed inhibition could make it more likely to over eat.

I had not heard of people being prescribed blood thinners post op. That sounds odd to me. However, if someone is on a blood thinner, then I would imagine that any alcohol while on said thinners would be yet another reason not to drink alcohol.

Dramatic or not, it makes no difference to me if someone wants to drink a glass of wine and eat steak 7 weeks post op. I merely suggested they ask their surgeon instead of asking people on the internet.

Just now, BigViffer said:

I had not heard of people being prescribed blood thinners post op. That sounds odd to me. However, if someone is on a blood thinner, then I would imagine that any alcohol while on said thinners would be yet another reason not to drink alcohol.

I was speaking about prescribed to the general population, not specifically to WLS patients. I though had several heparin injections while in the hospital. I'm currently doing a lot of research on plastics, and oral blood thinners or injectable heparin is very often prescribed. My point being that it's not as if being post surgical and blood thinners are incompatible.

I have to admit, I miss a good steak with a good glass of wine. I dine at steakhouses frequently for work. I never order a steak because I can't justify the cost (even if I'm not paying), to only eat 2 oz. So I just look on enviously while I have my Soup or appetizer! (I know I can cook a steak at home, but it's just not the same IMO)