Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@cosbourne I like Protein 2O. I have only been able to find it on Amazon. I tried the berry flavor (no thanks) and the coconut flavor. The coconut flavor is my go to. It is 15g of protein for the bottle, so not too bad. It is definitely a strong flavor, which is fine as long as you like it. I do not think it is sweet. I have not tried the clear Premier Protein. A lot of other clear Protein Drinks that I have tried taste like straight Protein Powder :65_mask:. With the Protein 2O, I do not taste the protein at all.

I’ve lost 68 lbs since May 10. No complications. Although, better than the weight, in my opinion, is that right after surgery all of the inflammation in my back and joints disappeared. Like poof, totally gone. That has allowed me to walk an average of five miles a day and weight lift 5 days a week. Before my surgery I would try to get healthy but it hurt so bad to exercise because of all of that inflammation.

So losing that, more than anything, was worth having the surgery. My wife says it has made me a brand new man as I work on the house and do things I’ve needed to do for years but avoided.

I seriously feel like I am 25 again.

I need to whine/vent for just a minute.

I have been semi stalled/slow for the last 3 weeks (.8, 1.8, .4) . I have lost 20 lbs since surgery (the last 6 weeks/ Surgery 5/29).

Yes, I know to look at the big picture. Yes, I know that stalls and slow downs are common and I need to be patient. Yes, I am getting 90 g of Protein a day, just about 800 calories (low carb, low fat), and 64-100 oz of Water. I am also exercising at least 30 min a day (2 days a week with a personal trainer). No, I am not a lightweight (272 on surgery day).

It will happen soon, and I will wonder what I was complaining about and all that, but that isn't stopping me from being annoyed right now.

My surgeon said I should expect to lose about .5 lbs a day. I suppose looking at the 20 lbs I lost over the last 41-42 days, this looks about right. I cannot help but feel like I am missing out on some of that sweet honeymoon period weight loss though. It hard not to compare myself to others on here and other sites and feel like I am a little broken lol.

I am not necessarily looking for a fix, just understanding/sympathy. I think my family and friends are getting tired of hearing about it from me. I figured you all would understand more than anyone. Is anyone else on this struggle bus?

8 minutes ago, SueperGal said:

I have been semi stalled/slow for the last 3 weeks (.8, 1.8, .4) . I have lost 20 lbs since surgery (the last 6 weeks/ Surgery 5/29).

Yes, I know to look at the big picture. Yes, I know that stalls and slow downs are common and I need to be patient. Yes, I am getting 90 g of Protein a day, just about 800 calories (low carb, low fat), and 64-100 oz of Water. I am also exercising at least 30 min a day (2 days a week with a personal trainer). No, I am not a lightweight (272 on surgery day).

It will happen soon, and I will wonder what I was complaining about and all that, but that isn't stopping me from being annoyed right now.

My surgeon said I should expect to lose about .5 lbs a day. I suppose looking at the 20 lbs I lost over the last 41-42 days, this looks about right. I cannot help but feel like I am missing out on some of that sweet honeymoon period weight loss though. It hard not to compare myself to others on here and other sites and feel like I am a little broken lol.

I am not necessarily looking for a fix, just understanding/sympathy. I think my family and friends are getting tired of hearing about it from me. I figured you all would understand more than anyone. Is anyone else on this struggle bus?

What are you complaining about? I am 2 months post op today and I have lost just 22 pounds. It takes time. I have been able to only get down 2 quarts of Water per day.

8 minutes ago, SueperGal said:

OMG SuperGal. I just emailed one of my program's nutritionist with almost the same vent/concerns as you. I almost mistook your post for my email, thinking I posted my email here by mistake when I glanced at your comment!

I also had surgery on 5/29, started at a very similar weight to yours, and have lost 20 pounds since surgery. And only 6 pounds in the last 3 weeks.

I had expected a few more pounds lost. I'm trying not to get stuck on the numbers, but it's hard not to when you see others having greater losses.

Right? We all have different struggles after our surgery which is why I posted. I figured I was not the only one struggling with this particular issue. Two months ago I would have just eaten these feelings. I cannot do that now, so I am attempting to figure out different ways to deal with them. I figured sharing would be a good first step. I know this is not the end of the world and I know it will pass, but dealing with these feelings all day and week is bringing me down. It is good to know I am not alone and I know it will be worth it for us in the long run.

I need to whine/vent for just a minute. I have been semi stalled/slow for the last 3 weeks (.8, 1.8, .4) . I have lost 20 lbs since surgery (the last 6 weeks/ Surgery 5/29).

Oh my goodness, me too!! I was sleeved on 5/14 and have only lost 25 pounds (and 9 lbs of that was in the first week). It’s beyond frustrating when I’d hoped to see HUGE results at least the first couple of months. I don’t really complain about it and try not to be disappointed every time I step on the scale. On a positive note my body shape has changed significantly. My old clothes are very loose and I’m wearing smaller sizes. The best part that outweighs it all is that I definitely see and feel a difference. No more daily pain and that alone is so refreshing.

My husband was sleeved 5 weeks ahead of me and has lost over 100 pounds. I definitely Celebrate his successes and that helps me stay motivated. He now has energy like he did 15 years ago. We even broke out of bicycles and took a bike ride for the first time in 20 years.

What I’m reminded of is that this is a long term commitment and I try not to beat myself up because the weight loss is happening slower than I expected. Good luck to you! I’m excited to hear more about your journey.

I had surgery on 5/3/18 and I’ve lost 36 lbs so far. I had a little delay with working out because i got an infection which lead to an incision needing to be opened and not healing until the middle of June so my surgeons office wanted me to wait to work out until it fully closed. Right now tho I’ve been in a stall for about two weeks but it also didn’t help that i got sick again due to everyone else being sick so once again no workout for a week. I have a good feeling now that I’m back on track things will come back to me and i will begin to lose again

On 7/7/2018 at 7:18 AM, MeanSleevedMachine said:

I’ve lost 68 lbs since May 10. No complications. Although, better than the weight, in my opinion, is that right after surgery all of the inflammation in my back and joints disappeared. Like poof, totally gone. That has allowed me to walk an average of five miles a day and weight lift 5 days a week. Before my surgery I would try to get healthy but it hurt so bad to exercise because of all of that inflammation.

So losing that, more than anything, was worth having the surgery. My wife says it has made me a brand new man as I work on the house and do things I’ve needed to do for years but avoided.

I seriously feel like I am 25 again.

This is awesome. I too suffered frequent pain from inflammation in my back and neck and that had eased considerably post surgery (lucky too, since I can't take ibuprofen anymore).

To those sad with slow loss, don't panic, it will vary for everyone. I know it's hard when we see some people (especially those with bypass) lose massive amounts in the first month, some of these people are starting from a much higher BMI, and some just seem to be lucky, but slow and steady losses still gets us there. My first stall was at 2.5 weeks, and again at about 5-6 weeks. The scales will stall sometimes and that's no reason to panic. Just remember, if you are eating less calories than your basal metabolic rate (the calories your body burns just existing/functioning all day, usually less than 1200 calories should be safe) and you are getting enough Protein to prevent muscle/organ breakdown then your body has no choice but to burn FAT to make up the deficit. It won't always be reflected on the scales straight away because of the variance in retained Water and waste as you process and use the stored fat, but long term your fat is reducing and your weight has no choice but to follow.

Best of luck to everyone moving into their second and third months post sleeve. :)

Hi. I’m new here. I was sleeved May 7. Everything has been going good. Struggle with Protein and Water but have been feeling great. Except for the gat 5 days. I get these waves of nausea throughout the day. I can barely eat two bites of food at a time. Doesn’t matter what I eat, when I eat and when you drink. Could it be heartburn? There is no pain or burning sensation in my throat. Just a nauseous feeling in the middle of my stomach. Anyone else feel something like this?

SueperGal:
Vent away!!! I can relate. I was sleeved on 5/2/18. My progress has been slow with a few stalls. I have been stuck for 17 days around the same weight (187). My surgery weight was 205, with my highest weight being 222. I am 5’4”. I am so scared that I won’t drop any lower than this weight because in the past, this is the lowest weight that I have been able to reach. When frustration kicks in I self sabotage and make bad food choices while beating myself up. I didn’t go through all of this and have the surgery to fail. I can’t quit on myself. This week has been rough. I have made some poor choices but I am aware and working on them. I am going to go to an Overeaters Anonymous meeting for the first time at noon today. I need support and help before I completely derail.

@hopeful333 I am very sorry that things are feeling crappy right now. I went to OA for a while a few years back, and it did seem to help. It sounds like you are taking steps in the right direction and not letting a misstep be your downfall.

I had a close friend set me straight about my attitude, which I think helped me quite a bit. I made a commitment moving forward that if I say anything negative or complain, that I also have to come up with something positive or good to say as well. It has helped me to shift my focus a little more towards the positive. I am spending less time worrying about my weight and more time focusing on the changes in my body and in my energy levels.

My surgeon did tell me that I need to focus more on my food, Water, and exercise than anything else, so I am going to try to do that, and attempt to keep my focus on my successes thus far.

Best of luck!

Your friend gave you wise advice. A support system is crucial. I would be in big trouble without my husband and kids supporting me. Thanks for sharing. I am so grateful for this site.

I was sleeved 5/3, 10 weeks ago yesterday. I can't figure out how to update my weight info. on my profile? I'm doing really good. I had a big problem with GERD, which I mistook for lactose intolerance, and has resolved with medication and staying away from acid producing foods. Constipation was also a problem and some of what I tried made GERD worse. I'm now taking 2 tsp. Benefiber with 1/2 dose of Miralax along with a probiotic once daily and it's working great. I also have Siggi's brand Icelandic FF, plain yogurt everyday (25 grams Protein per cup) mixed with strawberries and Splenda. I love that it's protein, Calcium and Probiotics all in one and it's delicious.

As of today, I'm down 29.8 pounds since surgery, almost 40 since high of 235 pounds before pre surgery diet (12 weeks ago). I'm UNDER 200 pounds!!! YAY!!!!! I've also had feelings that I, considering how little I eat, I should have lost more weight by now. I've had stalls and wondered what I'm doing wrong many times since the surgery. Still, 12 weeks ago, I weighed just about 40 pounds more than I do today. There's no other way that would have happened so I'm very happy. My concern now is that my/our metabolisms are slowing down to a point they won't recover from. I guess time will tell.

I've been mostly good with diet. Getting 60-80 grams of protein in everyday with help of protein drinks. Drinking a full 60 oz. of Water daily. I have 1 fruit and at least 1 veggies everyday. Small portions, but slightly bigger now than a few weeks ago. WORD OF CAUTION: I decided a few weeks ago that I would have some M & M's everyday (plain). I began eating one at a time and really relishing each one. Next day, I ate 3 handfuls one at a time. For about a week after that I had the 3 handfuls every day, 2-3 at a time. Of course, the scale went up. My appetite and the amount of food I could consume also went up dramatically. I wasn't surprised by the scale, I was VERY surprised that, somehow, eating the sugar dramatically increased the amount of food I could consume. I can't explain it. So, of course, I stopped. I didn't go through all of this the be taken out by some M & M's! Once I stopped, the amount of food I can consume went back to a little more than where it was. I have deliberately had some fat. Like 1/2 of a real hamburger at a BBQ. I really don't want to have to have my gall bladder out, so that's why I've done this. I'm not talking about a lot of fat, just some. I also stole 3 french fries off my husband's plate, things like that. I also eat a lot of salmon and have had steak a few times. I need to be sure that my diet is sustainable. If it's tooooo restrictive, I won't be able to stick to it. Like I said, mostly good.

I'm 65 and so far have just been walking for exercise. The BEST news is I feel MUCH better, more energy, etc. Pre op I would walk a 21-22 minute mile, huffing and puffing the whole way. I'm now doing a 17 minute mile with ease. I can cross my legs. Overall, my movement and body aches and pains are much better. I'm SOOOOO happy!!!! This alone makes it all worth it! At 3 months out I'm going to add lifting weights and elliptical and squats, etc. at the gym. I'm sure I could lift light weights now but doctor said to wait till 3 months.

My gastroenterologist told me our stomachs should be mostly healed by 3-4 months post surgery. He said some people take 6 months.

The closest I come to stretching my new stomach is when I drink water. Other than the above mentioned M & M's. It's summer where I live and hot and humid. A few times I drank too much at once, cuz I'm thirsty, and I could really feel it. So I have to watch this carefully. I know it's crazy, but there are times, already, when I forget I just had the surgery.