Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days out from band to ds and feeling down

After spending 12 years with a lap band that didn't work for me, I finally opted to take it out and get the ds. My surgery was on June 21st. I'm really struggling to get even my Water in. Everything feels tight. I tried a Protein Shake today and got about 4 tiny sips in before it started to get tight and hurt. I just feel like kicking myself that I didn't just get the band out and leave it at that. I'm 5" and 250 lbs so I know I really needed surgical help but for some reason I still feel mad at myself. Does it get better? Please someone tell me that it does.

It takes a little bit but yes it does get better. The DS is a big deal... I also had gall bladder taken out and Hiatal hernia repaired too... all 3 at the same time! So I had a bit of a hard time.

Yes its really hard to get that Water and Protein down... extremely hard. BUT, it will get better. I had m surgery in April... and I JUST started feeling better.

Just take your time and breathe and take each day one at a time... and stay hydrated as much as you can stand. :)

Thanks for the response! I think I just wasn't as prepared as I should have been for how hard this was going to be. Did you drink any Protein Water when you were recovering? I think that may be the only way I'm going to be getting any protein in me for the next little while.

@AbbarnesStaying hydrated is the most important thing right now. You have Protein stores in your body but you must sip. Concentrate on that. If you can only do 4 sips (I seem to recall that was me, too) then do them every 15 or 30 min., if you can.

4 hours ago, Abbarnes said:

Thanks for the response! I think I just wasn't as prepared as I should have been for how hard this was going to be. Did you drink any Protein Water when you were recovering? I think that may be the only way I'm going to be getting any Protein in me for the next little while.

yes drink Protein Water, especially if you cant drink the Protein Shakes. I couldnt stand the shakes after surgery and I still dont drink them! I do drink a lot of milk lately.

Yes, it gets better. I had Protein Shakes and Water for the first few days. The Protein shakes count as liquid so that's good. Just remember to get your water in. Drink as much as you can. I carried a water bottle around for the first few weeks. You can do it!