Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do what I'm comfortable with or do as surgeon says?

Hi through my whole pre op journey and approval I've had my mind set on doing the sleeve but after speaking to my doctor and him listing all my co-morbidities: Diabetic - Hypertension - sleep Apnea his advised a full by-pass. I now doctor knows best but I'm still unsure of what to do. Any post op expieriences out there with the same co-morbidities that can offer advice?

Tentative surgery date of September 3rd.

I did sleeve, same problems. I had options of all three but was not comfortable with having my guts rearranged. Doc gave me the choice. Have lost 150 # in 18 months and all weight issues are now gone. You are correct when thinking doc knows best but what are you comfortable with? Your body your choice. Can recommend you research all options. I did and chose accordingly. Good luck!

What is your current weight or BMI? Have you been obese most of your life? There a few other things to consider than comorbid conditions, including your own comfort level with either procedure.

Many people have good results with sleeves.

If you have a BMI greater than 50, and have been obese since childhood though you may strongly consider gastric bypass.

Do your own research on the surgeries and decide what you are comfortable doing.

Good luck.

I have 2/3rds of your co-morbilities, substitute Severe GERD for diabetes. BMI almost identical but bear with me a second on MY story. You have been obese most of your adult life? I was born at the end of WW2 to parents who had just lived through the American Depression so what my mother's doctor told them didn't seem unreasonable. My mother nursed me, although at that time breast-feeding had largely fallen out of favor, after every nursing and yes I nursed well she was told to feed me a full 8 oz of Carnation Milk Formula. I started out my extra uterine life at 7of 12 oz, at 1 year I was 35 inches tall and weighed 36 lb. Yes the size of the average American 2 and half year old, I had fat cells set down in my body before I could walk. And I walked or lurched around on my own 2 feet before I turned 1. No wonder I have 2 arificial knees, I started wearing them out early. Although I looked in semi-average size until. puberty my flesh was always soft, never muscled up, how could I? My muscles were naturally fat sheathed. So I guess I have been lipid-challenged my entire existance.
Fast forwarding many years, I will soon be receiving a RnY bypass at 72, yeah my blubber should have done me in before 72, and it dud try! Received isn't perhaps a strong enough word, I have been active to semi-actively seeking Bariatric surgery since August 2015. If I don't get it pretty soon I have lined up a box cutter, 50 pound test fishing line, hair clips , a Swingline stapler, a 3 way mirror , some surgical manuals . I am redheaded, stubborn , at least medically semi-literate and like my pen name Frustr8-ed, do you honestly think I couldn't wreak havoc? Oh and I am also high-functioning autistic, we can center on one subject to the exclusion of everything else. And my box cutter has a nice clean blade in it, a leftover from working at Wally World and they kept my work equipment sharp and up to date. When we parted company I didn't happen to generating,it so they never got it back!👉🐵👈

On 06/24/2018 at 06:16, Unsure133 said:

Hi through my whole pre op journey and approval I've had my mind set on doing the sleeve but after speaking to my doctor and him listing all my co-morbidities: Diabetic - Hypertension - sleep Apnea his advised a full by-pass. I now doctor knows best but I'm still unsure of what to do. Any post op expieriences out there with the same co-morbidities that can offer advice?

Hi there!
I had a 49 BMI, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, osteoarthritis and pcos along with some mental health issues. I have always been curvy, but in the last 15 years (I’m 34) I got very very heavy. My surgeon was totally ok with me having the sleeve and not the bypass. I also didn’t want my intestines changed around like that. Since I didn’t have any gerd, he didn’t see any reason for me to be forced to have the bypass.
So, not only did I have your comorbities, I had more and I got the ok. Unless there are medical issues that require you to have bypass, do which surgery you would like and are comfortable with. If your doctor doesn’t like it, find a new one.
Also, I’ve been off all my diabetes meds and blood pressure meds since the day of surgery. My a1c is in normal range and my blood pressure is consistently lower than normal. Like 100/65. My knees and back don’t hurt anymore.

I had the option to revise from band to sleeve or bypass. I wasn't keen on having my intestines rearranged either, but to be honest, I couldn't tell you with any certainty if they have been or not... I know they have... but I have literally no sensation of them being rearranged. I wish I went bypass back in 2011.

On ‎06‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:16 AM, Unsure133 said:

I had a longer list of co-morbidities than you, and my doctor actually encouraged the sleeve at first. I came in wanting to do DS, but he said he would only do it in a 2 part operation, sleeve first, and then if necessary, the DS a year later. This wasn't something I was willing to do, so I opted with RNY. He was a big advocate for the sleeve. I think every doctor is different. You need to ask yourself, do you trust him? If you think the sleeve is the better option for you, maybe get a second opinion? I think he's recommending bypass for good reasons, but it is a bigger surgery with different components that you will have to live with for the rest of your life.

How poorly/well is your diabetes controlled? Do you know your ha1c? How young/old are you?

If you have bad GERD, or bad diabetes I think the bypass is a no brainer. I didn't want a bypass so I risked it despite having GERD and my surgeon recommending a bypass. But the complications of diabetes are far more scary than the bypass so I would consider that

I have had type 2 diabetes since I was 28; I had hypertension, sleep apnea, and i have fibromyalgia. I got gastric bypass because it is better at reversing diabetes than gastric sleeve. I am less than 2 months post-op and have gone from four diabetes medications to one, I am almost off my hypertension medication (3 to 1 and low bp now), and in another month I am retesting to see if I can get off the CPAP. Gastric bypass was not my first choice either, but I am very glad I did what the surgeon recommended.