Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Catheter During Surgery?

I am curious about whether patients are normally given a catheter during surgery. I’m a 53 year old guy having the sleeve done in 5 days. I have a giant fear of catheters.

I am curious about whether patients are normally given a catheter during surgery. I’m a 53 year old guy having the sleeve done in 5 days. I have a giant fear of catheters.
I didn't have one. I was walking the halls the evening of my surgery. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-K550 using BariatricPal mobile app

It depends upon the surgeon's preference - some use them, some don't. Mine did use one and it wasn't a big deal, and it was a bit of a convenience the first day as I could get out of bed to walk around on my schedule and not my bladder's.

Given a choice, I would much rather have a catheter than have them install JP drains (also a surgeon's preference) as those things are a much bigger PITA.

I was not given one and I was really relieved. But I doubt it would be a big deal cause they put a camera in there 2 years ago and that freaked me out but was nothing really. But I know where you are coming from.

I did have one. It wasn't a big deal.

Yeah my sisters, but we get the neat sweet yet complete size, men get the OMG you are not putting that MF thing in my MAN PARTS size. I once to care of. a man with an indwelling 30 French catheter. That is one "Hello I'm here" size. Some people end up with VSG stomach remnants only 2 to gauge points bigger and then use something that size for digestion the rest of their lives.
No wonder guys quiver in mis- apprehension and fear!😖💦😖

The above mangled word was TOOK care not just to.

Yeah I had one. Wasn’t a big deal until they took it out :P ouchy.

You know what they tell me at removal and I have had a few, since I am a woman and get the "Just big enough to do the Job" size not the" OMG WTF are you going to do with THAT THING? NO IT IS NOT GOING IN MY,MAN PARTS, NO- SIR -REE! "size. They always tell me" Breathe Out!" When you are blowing air out you do not tend to tense up And although to medical personel it's about as thrilling. as a greasy old car part to a mechanic they realize you are proud and protective of your nether regions, so they do it in one smooth stroke not repeated tugging like it was a boat rope.😪

I had one but they removed it before I woke up. I did get a UTI though. <_< You could just ask your surgeon about it when they come in to see you before going into the operating room. I made it very clear I didn't want to wake up with a catheter in me!

No catheter here:) Got outta bed right after surgery and took a nice pee. Then, just kept walking:)

All the differences between different surgery protocols are so weird:P

I did not have a catheter although I did experience quite a bit of retention after surgery...so much so that they had to straight-Cath me several times because the volumes in my bladder were getting unsafe. It seemed that being able to pee on my own was a pre-requisite for getting out of the hospital so it seems like I might’ve ended up having to stay an extra night because of that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My doctor is VERY adamant that his patients have one. I explained that I didn’t want one and that it would keep me from getting the surgery. He said no problem, we won’t give you one. I think if you explain it to the doctor and he or she thinks they might lose a $40k surgery over it, they might let it slide. Just my opinion!

I was not supposed to have one and my surgeon was very upset when he found out they did it after surgery contrary to his instructions. It was an error...I didn’t care one way or another. I got up and walked with it right away. Removal was no biggie. Been there several times before. It’s over in a few seconds. I wasn’t awake when they put it in so no harm done there either.