Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheated on pre op diet and am now concerned

So today I cheated and had a chicken cheese steak on my pre op diet. Surgery is Wednesday and I feel terrible and also worried that my liver will be too big to complete the surgery. Is it common for surgeons to close you up and not do the surgery? I am going to stay strict the next three days. My pre op diet is... Protein Shake, Protein Bar, Protein shake, protein bar, dinner of chicken veggies and tiny starch, protein shake.

Edited by Jpslcollins1028

I would be honest with your Dr. I was told straight liquid a week before. Small meal was only allowed two weeks out. You don't want complications.

Sent from my LG-K550 using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes my weight loss clinic only has you do a two week diet which includes some solid food. It's not the worst of diets but I slipped up.

Just now, Jpslcollins1028 said:

Yes my weight loss clinic only has you do a two week diet which includes some solid food. It's not the worst of diets but I slipped up.

Wow, I've never heard anyone being able to still eat, what exactly are u having done?

A friend did the 14 day diet and cheated on day 10, but she only had a small bite of something.. I would let ur Dr know. It can cause major issues during surgery. And I'm sure u don't want that

Pre-op diets vary all over the map, from the all liquid things for some number of weeks (typically 2-4 but sometimes months) to no particular restrictions until the day before and everything in between. The usual idea for those programs that impose a diet is for it to be low carb to improve liver condition, so if your chicken cheese steak (whatever that is) isn't overly high in carbohydrates, then it should be OK as you are allowed some chicken and starch on your diet.

I don't think it's likely to cause you any major problems. MY pre-op was shakes for Breakfast and lunch, and a suitable lean meat and veggies meal for dinner. I found I couldn't tolerate shakes in the morning (and couldn't have bars as an alternative because all the ones here have aspartame which I"m intolerant to) so I settled with a single scrambled egg and a Decaf coffee for breakfast, shake for lunch, meat and veg/salad for dinner for the whole 3 weeks except liquids only just for the last full day before surgery.

Stick with your program now until surgery but don't panic about your slip up, you will be fine and on the losers bench in no time :) Good luck for a swift recovery.