Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have the worse breath and an awful taste in my mouth ever since surgery. I am getting my fluids in and of course brush my teeth. Is there anything I can do to cure this? It's awful!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

Eat your vegetables, which you probably can't do at this point, but this is a sign that your diet is overly low in carbohydrates. Some relish the bad breath (and often BO as well) as they believe it to be the "smell of burning fat" and have to go through it to burn off their stored fat. That is just fad diet mythology as such is totally unnecessary to reach that end.

Short answer is that it will go away as your diet improves. If your diet allows such things as oatmeal or cream of wheat yet, or even some yogurt, that will help. Likewise, the small amount of sugars in milk if you use that in your Protein Shakes will also help. Others may chime in with their solutions in the mean time, but I can't comment on their effectiveness as I never ran into the problem as we maintained adequate dietary variety to avoid it.

I don't know if its the vegetables or whatever, but I had really bad breath at the hospital -- despite brushing my teeth -- but it got better when I got home, and I *did* start drinking Tomato Soup and V8 vegetable juice as my main "meals".

Thanks so much. I will try the V8 and see if that might help.

I have used half of a Listerine strip here and there and that has helped a lot.

Get a tongue scraper. Seriously. Use it when you brush.

Goes away in 2 months my breath was kicking Buy biotene mouth spray and mouth wash totally works

This is probably due to your body being in Ketosis and/or from a high Protein diet. Here some light reading if you want to know why.

https://ultradex.co.uk/ketosis-breath-causes-solutions-for-bad-breath/

https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/low-carb-diets-can-cause-bad-breath