Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Endoscopy- is it a must-do?

Hello everyone!

My friend and I are both going through the pre-surgery process, although I'm a few months ahead of her. I've had my gross taste-test and found a small hiatal hernia and some reflux, and my surgeon says I have to do the gastric bypass due to the reflux (bummer, I was hoping to do the sleeve, but oh well). Next up is the dreaded endoscopy. I'm more worried about that then the surgery right now!

My friend had her first consult, and was told SHE had to do the sleeve, not the bypass, due to some pulmonary edema issues she at a gallbladder surgery. Poor girl. But, they told her (the other surgeon at hospital), that some people prefer to do bypass just to avoid endoscopy.

Avoid endoscopy? What?!? This was put on my list! So my question is this- How many of you have had to have it? Is this just the norm for bypass as well? Would it be worth it to contact surgeon and ask about getting out of it, or is this something I really should just take a deep breath and deal with?

Thanks!

1. Endoscopy is a piece of cake. You go in..get prepped. It takes about 20 minutes and you're done. You get a drug that gives you amnesia about the whole thing, and you rapidly feel normal. You do have to have someone drive you that day....but hubby and I went in the morning, and were done in time to go to lunch. Had no problem enjoying a restaurant and shopping that afternoon. It's not bad at all. A little sore throat:)

Some people don't have to do endoscopy. My surgeon has us do barium x-rays first. If they look normal, we can skip the endoscopy. Mine looked abnormal so I had to have the endoscopy......I had a little gastritis, probably due to a hiatal hernia and NSAID use...but it wasn't bad enough to stop me from getting sleeve. Have not had any problems with GERD since my surgery:)

Please don't worry about the endoscopy, it's super easy.

Everybody gets an endoscopy preop at my hospital. Sleeve bypass, lap band. I'm not sure why a surgeon would do it on some and not others (I guess they use it to exclude sleeve candidates with bad GERD).

At my hospital they also do an endo at the end of every bariatric case

So if you get a sleeve or bypass they stick a scope down at the end of the surgery to double check that everything is fine and take another look around.

Honestly the endo is nothing compared to the surgery

I was self pay and didn't have to get one. Out of 3 surgeons I did a consult with, only 1 required it.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

16 minutes ago, GassyGurl said:

I was self pay and didn't have to get one. Out of 3 surgeons I did a consult with, only 1 required it.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Well if you're a self pay it makes a LOT more sense why they wouldn't require an endo. It would drive up the price of the surgery unnecessarily for prospective patients, which makes you as a surgeon less attractive to potential customers.

That said if your insurance covers it I think it's generally a good idea for patients to get one, it really only benefits you giving you the most information to make an informed decision

I think getting an EGD endoscopy prior to surgery is a great requirement. It gives your surgeon data on your GI tract prior to cutting, which can help her/him decide on the right procedure for you, finalize their surgical approach, and identify any issues that need to be addressed prior to surgery to mitigate risks & complications.

I’ve had many EGDs pre and post gastric bypass. They’re done with twilight sedation and aren’t a big deal, really.

Edited by MarinaGirl

My surgeon is very adamant about doing an EGD. It helps not to go into surgery blind. I thought the whole thing was rather funny. I'm normally very claustrophobic and anxious, but one of the nurses said something that just seemed to help me relax a ton - "We're NOT going down your windpipe." For some reason, that immediately put at ease. The meds didn't put me out entirely, but it didn't hurt. I remember a lot of burping, which I didn't expect at all. I even watched my little pink tummy on the monitor. The nurses and doctor were amused by how lucid I was.

My EGD was nothing. I’d never had surgery before so I was terrified of being put under. Ha! I was in and out in 15 minutes! I remember NOTHING after they said something about we’re giving you something that will relax you.
I was clean so I was good for the sleeve which I was sooo glad about. I absolutely did not want the bypass.
Yes, my surgeon requires it. Plus, when I went in for surgery, he simply uses the endoscope as the bougie. So my tummy is quite a bit smaller than most surgeons create. It’s a 32. A pretty tight 32. Here’s a nifty little comparison of bougie sizes.
After I had such an amazing and easy time with the EGD, I never panicked about surgery. Not one bit! I have terrible anxiety so I guess knowing I would be ok being put under made the actual surgery a breeze.
I’d say if your insurance covers it, go for it. Even though I did not want the bypass, I’d rather have had the EGD come back with the results that told my team I needed the bypass than have to go through a revision surgery later on.

image-0.00393390655517578.jpg

I went in had no choice. It was super easy. They drug you up. Put you a sleep while doing it. And all done.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches