Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

My Dear Bari Brothers and Sisters,

You may have noticed that I too have been missing from the Scene for a while. Not for lack of love for you all.

Following my honeymoon of no work, I had to go back and as you may know a grueling international travel schedule followed. An as exciting and glamorous as going to places like France and England may sound, it does take it’s toll, and has been so tough for me to resist the endless temptations along the way, not to mention the drag on my noon existent time. And since I work with computers, when I fly home, I usually go dark and stay away from electronics, as my 6 and 8 year old miss me and I want to spend every spare moment with them.

To add to that, we have all been severely debilitated by a series of illnesses. My daughter had Coxsackie Virus, My son had stomach Flu, I tested postive for Strep and then the bugs started to cross pollinate so we all suffered greatly with a bouquet of bugs :(

Then of course the Holidays were upon us and...yeah, we had to get our act together and travel to family etc, so I have been go to GO, and all those things I put on hold while I had and recovered from Surgery, well they all caught up with me.

From a weight perspective I really don’t know how I’m doing :\. And here is why:

Pre- Surgery Weight 271, Surgery Day August 22nd 2018 257, current weight 226 So Weight loss since Surgery (approx 3 months ago is 31lb and total loss is 45. Not monumental like some, but then again, this is my 2nd revision, I had band to Sleeve to this so like when I had the Sleeve, at the 3 month mark I had lost on 15 more lb than I have now :(. I’ve lost enough to be able to feel better and have several non scale victories...not ashamed to take pics with kids, easier fit in airplane seats, more energy, feel better about myself, my cloths are fitting great, more optimistic about the future, did not feel such dread going to see family on Thanksgiving, etc

1. On my trips, where I have had hotels with kitchenettes, I’ve avoided eating out all together, doing fabulously grocery shopping, walking min 10K steps a a day and loosing weight.
  2. When I travel and there is no fridge or kitchen in the hotel, its much harder. An unlimited food budget coupled with crazy irresistible deliciousness makes it tough tough TOUGH to resist. In my last trip to France, various cheeses, and even Breads found their way into my world. Nothing near the copious previous quantities but enough to make me uncomfortable emotionally. The crazy part is my pouch did not resist at all. Very scary, as one with multiple surgeries I am crippled with the fear that this shall fail too.
  3. Which brings me to my next point. Following my stricture release a month ago, I no longer throw up, a good thing you might say BUT, I also seem to have lost my restriction!!!!! I mean, I don’t know where and HOW I am able to put away what I do :(((((((. Beyond sad and bewildered.
  4. Another problem is that my bloodwork revealed that my Anemia was worse...so on the 16th of Nov, I went in for an Iron Infusion. Now I had that last year with my Sleeve and I had a series of Iron infusions...7 in total 3 weeks apart and I left each infusion RAVENOUS and stayed that way. Gaining tons of weight before each next one. Well this time seems no different in that I am RAVANOUS ALL THE TIME, since I got it over a week ago. That coupled with the seeming loss of restriction is desasterous. I’m snacking on crackers and nuts and I know that stuff adds up. Last night I did a test to see when I will get full. Tried eating what would normally be considered healthy ways to fill yourself. Removed my Vegan restrictions and had at least 5 strips of deli roast beef...not full, a cup of leftover Green Bean casserole...than a big cup of chicken tortilla soup...nada...a big bowl of Green Beans, Brussel Sprouts and curried chickpeas followed....and 30mins later I was in a grazing mood again, grabbing Oat Crackers covered with no sugar chocolate and chia seeds...and guys...yeah, not a peak from my pouch and somehow I never got to a full or satiated feeling. Too depressed to even call doc about it. What can they do? I’m just 3 m out, this has GOT to work for me, and I’m like if at 3 months I’m able to devour all that...what hope is there at a year or two. Been down this road too many times. Trying hard not to be depressed...I gave up my Wellbutrin on Surgery day and have been doing great, but this...food preoccupation and seeming return of hunger plus lack of restriction has got me seriously in a funk. So for those suffering from too much restriction, I repeat, relish it..it does NOT last! This coming from me who was throwing up at a sip of Water and now just 3 short months latter, I’m like praying for restriction. Frustrating does not begin to cover it...I just don’t know what to do. It’s also the week before my period when I’m usually most carb needy, so that is probably playing in too....idk, any thoughts?

So yeah...here is where i find myself. About to go walking, it’s cold but I’ll brave it, if for nothing else, than to increase my Serotonin naturally (and catch up on my work calls as I do).

And that’s what’s up with ellie123. Hope you all had an awesome thanksgiving, miss you all and hope everyone is doing great.

I had surgery May 1st 2018

I’m 6mths in

20 minutes ago, Denasiagray said:

I’m 6mths in

I am almost 6 months in - surgery date was 6/6. My pre-surgery diet weight was 254. My weight the date of surgery was 241. I currently weigh 188. I have been stuck for a few weeks. We did a week at Disneyland, including Thanksgiving, and I didn’t gain. ... but didn’t lose either. I am determined to get down to 180 by Christmas.

On 11/26/2018 at 12:20, ellie123 said:

My Dear Bari Brothers and Sisters,

You may have noticed that I too have been missing from the Scene for a while. Not for lack of love for you all.

Following my honeymoon of no work, I had to go back and as you may know a grueling international travel schedule followed. An as exciting and glamorous as going to places like France and England may sound, it does take it’s toll, and has been so tough for me to resist the endless temptations along the way, not to mention the drag on my noon existent time. And since I work with computers, when I fly home, I usually go dark and stay away from electronics, as my 6 and 8 year old miss me and I want to spend every spare moment with them.

To add to that, we have all been severely debilitated by a series of illnesses. My daughter had Coxsackie Virus, My son had stomach Flu, I tested postive for Strep and then the bugs started to cross pollinate so we all suffered greatly with a bouquet of bugs :(

Then of course the Holidays were upon us and...yeah, we had to get our act together and travel to family etc, so I have been go to GO, and all those things I put on hold while I had and recovered from Surgery, well they all caught up with me.

From a weight perspective I really don’t know how I’m doing :\. And here is why:

Pre- Surgery Weight 271, Surgery Day August 22nd 2018 257, current weight 226 So Weight loss since Surgery (approx 3 months ago is 31lb and total loss is 45. Not monumental like some, but then again, this is my 2nd revision, I had band to Sleeve to this so like when I had the Sleeve, at the 3 month mark I had lost on 15 more lb than I have now :(. I’ve lost enough to be able to feel better and have several non scale victories...not ashamed to take pics with kids, easier fit in airplane seats, more energy, feel better about myself, my cloths are fitting great, more optimistic about the future, did not feel such dread going to see family on Thanksgiving, etc

1. On my trips, where I have had hotels with kitchenettes, I’ve avoided eating out all together, doing fabulously grocery shopping, walking min 10K steps a a day and loosing weight.

2. When I travel and there is no fridge or kitchen in the hotel, its much harder. An unlimited food budget coupled with crazy irresistible deliciousness makes it tough tough TOUGH to resist. In my last trip to France, various cheeses, and even Breads found their way into my world. Nothing near the copious previous quantities but enough to make me uncomfortable emotionally. The crazy part is my pouch did not resist at all. Very scary, as one with multiple surgeries I am crippled with the fear that this shall fail too.

3. Which brings me to my next point. Following my stricture release a month ago, I no longer throw up, a good thing you might say BUT, I also seem to have lost my restriction!!!!! I mean, I don’t know where and HOW I am able to put away what I do :(((((((. Beyond sad and bewildered.

4. Another problem is that my bloodwork revealed that my Anemia was worse...so on the 16th of Nov, I went in for an Iron Infusion. Now I had that last year with my Sleeve and I had a series of Iron infusions...7 in total 3 weeks apart and I left each infusion RAVENOUS and stayed that way. Gaining tons of weight before each next one. Well this time seems no different in that I am RAVANOUS ALL THE TIME, since I got it over a week ago. That coupled with the seeming loss of restriction is desasterous. I’m snacking on crackers and nuts and I know that stuff adds up. Last night I did a test to see when I will get full. Tried eating what would normally be considered healthy ways to fill yourself. Removed my Vegan restrictions and had at least 5 strips of deli roast beef...not full, a cup of leftover Green Bean casserole...than a big cup of chicken tortilla soup...nada...a big bowl of Green Beans, Brussel Sprouts and curried chickpeas followed....and 30mins later I was in a grazing mood again, grabbing Oat Crackers covered with no sugar chocolate and chia seeds...and guys...yeah, not a peak from my pouch and somehow I never got to a full or satiated feeling. Too depressed to even call doc about it. What can they do? I’m just 3 m out, this has GOT to work for me, and I’m like if at 3 months I’m able to devour all that...what hope is there at a year or two. Been down this road too many times. Trying hard not to be depressed...I gave up my Wellbutrin on Surgery day and have been doing great, but this...food preoccupation and seeming return of hunger plus lack of restriction has got me seriously in a funk. So for those suffering from too much restriction, I repeat, relish it..it does NOT last! This coming from me who was throwing up at a sip of Water and now just 3 short months latter, I’m like praying for restriction. Frustrating does not begin to cover it...I just don’t know what to do. It’s also the week before my period when I’m usually most carb needy, so that is probably playing in too....idk, any thoughts?

So yeah...here is where i find myself. About to go walking, it’s cold but I’ll brave it, if for nothing else, than to increase my Serotonin naturally (and catch up on my work calls as I do).

And that’s what’s up with ellie123. Hope you all had an awesome thanksgiving, miss you all and hope everyone is doing great.

Oh Ellie!! I’m so sorry!! I’m with you. Sometimes I don’t feel my restriction and it scares me. I’m struggling with food at the moment. :( it’s been hard. My downfall is sweet pork burritos. Just keep working hard.

Just checking in here since I'm summer 2018. I'm coming up on 4 months and weight loss is seeming slow but I've lost 53 lbs from my HW. I made it though a week long trip to Houston and Thanksgiving week with family in town. Some of the leftovers and Snacks from TG have been tough. I gave in and had a few bites of pumpkin roll. I don't even like pumpkin but I LOVE cream cheese frosting! The crackers is another thing that I've got to watch out for. I find myself grabbing a couple here and there to snack on. I really need to get back on track with my food and logging everything. On my trip to Houston, the week before TG, I went out to lunch and dinner every day. I really made good choices but gave in a little with some tortilla chips and a little bread. When I got home, I was happy to see that I actually dropped to below 200. It was so nice getting on the scale and seeing <200 for once. I've got to get busy with exercise. Y'all, I just hate it. I have got to force myself to get up and do something. I know I can do it because I've done it in the past. I told myself that between TG and Christmas I would, starting today (Monday) get up and exercise. Well, I got up and put on my exercise clothes but I haven't popped in the DVD yet. I'm going to do it though, I really am! I know if I would do it then I would see even more progress. Things have seemed so slow. At least I am glad that when I eat a meal I can't eat too much and I feel full. It's the between meals that is starting to worry me though.

Hi everyone, I’m still here too. Slow and steady wins the race. Highest weight 251....surgery weight 228..... today weight 173... surgery date was July 31

down 78 total.... 55 since surgery!!!!!!!

I’m still here! RNY on 7/17. Down 66 since surgery, 103lbs since starting the program. Gotta get back on my workout bring, but the holidays are super busy. Just got back from KY on Saturday and next week I’m off to CA for a few days. I’ve got this killer dress for a party in CA that arrives tomorrow, fingers crossed that it fits!

Checking in! RNY July 5 th HW 257, SW 240, CW 193. Things are going well so far, my biggest challenges have been eating out with friends! Eating out is such a social thing I struggle with what to order, usually try to share and just have a small amount of whatever but it’s not always healthy.......oh, and I found out that Iron isn’t my friend 😩. Trying to find one that won’t cause constipation! My weight loss has been slower then some but I am over 60 so there is that! But I had lost the same amount of weight 10 years ago on WW and it took 2 years so when I look at it that way it’s amazing!

Just turned 4 months this month. I had surgery on 7/12 and have lost 110 pounds from highest weight and 88 pounds from day of surgery. Started 390 hw, 368 sw, and 280 cw. I’ve had great progress but it has slowed down and have been experiencing more stalls. Some days are good and some days are bad on the vomiting side or same food may not agree my new stomach either. I still struggle with getting enough Protein and supplement with a shake in the morning cut down with almond milk because it’s too sweet and can’t stand it. My Water intake is improving but not meeting goals. Been buying some clothes as I have gone from size 28 pants to a size 18. I didn’t gain my weight overnight and trying to be positive ahead to meet small and big goals. Looking forward to a brighter future!

I had my sleeve back in August. I'm doing good, I still get nausea if I'm not careful.. But in every other respect I feel tons better. I've been getting to the gym at least twice a week and walking a lot.

I see one of my friends who doesn't know what I've done tomorrow, and I'm nervous. I really hope she doesn't ask me anything. I don't feel comfortable sharing with everyone yet.. And she's never been very supportive of my past weight lots efforts.

We'll see how it goes! Fingers crossed I'm over thinking it!

Double posted, woops.

Edited by Leia
Posted twice

Hello everyone and happy holidays! I’m almost 4 months post op and doing well overall. I’m wondering who is still tracking your Protein? I’m still using my app to track carbs/fats/protein and just wondered if people get to a point where they don’t need to track?

@sassysleever76
I am 5 months post op and I still track my Protein and the rest of it everyday. Weight Watchers didn’t work for me long term but it did teach me that if I track, I lose and if I don’t track, I do not. I expect tracking is just my new normal.

In general, I’m doing well. No significant complications. I’ve lost 68 pounds overall - exactly halfway to my goal - but my rate is down to 1.5-2.0 pounds a week. I expect it will take me another year to lose the second 68 pounds.

I finally broke through my stall. My EDG was normal, my hip is having issues. It came undone this week. Im not sure at this point. Hoping by Christmas to be down to 185 hopefully less. The last time I was 185 I was in middle school. I’m pretty sure i slipped right past 120. In fact I don’t ever remember weighing less than 185. That was the first weight I ever saw on a scale.