Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

What's hard for you? What are you having issues with. A lot of the programs are different some have to be on liquids for 2 weeks others can start on mushy food they day of surgery. Is it even eating/hunger your having issues with?

Its everything i tried 3 different Proteins and honestly they all gets tiring after just having that. im on liquids for 3 weeks. Im a mom so i still have to cook for the kids. Maybe its the not having someone to talk to that understands what im going through is making it so hard

26 minutes ago, leeanna1309 said:

Its everything i tried 3 different Proteins and honestly they all gets tiring after just having that. im on liquids for 3 weeks. Im a mom so i still have to cook for the kids. Maybe its the not having someone to talk to that understands what im going through is making it so hard

I was suppose to be on liquids for a month. .l started on soft stuff week 2.. my body needed it. I was tired and had no energy. I eat what I want now mostly (no steaks yet obviously) and feel fine. Our mouth is a grinding machine so we are able to mush up food and grind our teeth as good as any blender. I just keep hydrated and don't eat too fast or too much. Maybe start with yogurt and soft stuff. We all have different plans but its more about how our bodies are working for us. Honestly, not even 3 weeks out and haven't had any issues since gas pain post surgery. Just don't overdo it. But makes you feel happier to have something in your mouth to chew for sure. I even had some salad last night and all was good.

Yeah I get it. We almost all go through it. I wish there was an easy solution for you but really it's just getting used to the new lifestyle. Have you tried powdered Protein and making your own. You can add different things to it like frozen fruit or PB2. Of course if it's allowed at this stage for you.

Be careful adding new foods to your diet. I've read some horror stories from folks here that have eaten things too soon and have had bad reactions. There was one poster not to long ago that had to have a hospital visit and wound up starting from ground zero (liquids) when she was let out.

thanks guys im try the powder Protein i tried the whey but it taste to chalkie to me. im deff gonna try to go to a support group. didnt think it would be this hard from me but as i read ppl things up here and asking for help i think i will be ok thanks

I was suppose to be on liquids for a month. .l started on soft stuff week 2.. my body needed it. I was tired and had no energy. I eat what I want now mostly (no steaks yet obviously) and feel fine. Our mouth is a grinding machine so we are able to mush up food and grind our teeth as good as any blender. I just keep hydrated and don't eat too fast or too much. Maybe start with yogurt and soft stuff. We all have different plans but its more about how our bodies are working for us. Honestly, not even 3 weeks out and haven't had any issues since gas pain post surgery. Just don't overdo it. But makes you feel happier to have something in your mouth to chew for sure. I even had some salad last night and all was good.
@leeanna1309, before changing your diet, please please consult your surgeon and NUT. They placed you on a specific diet for a reason. And as @J San noted, there have been horror stories to people that have not followed their plan. A co-worker's friend did not follow her plan as prescribed and ended up in the hospital with numerous side effects, an additional surgery and has been on a liquid diet (aside from feeding tube) for over 3 months.
My own personal plan from my team clearly stated multiple times including words from my surgical team that chewing food to mush is NOT the same as the pureed stage. Remember our bodies require healing from the inside out. You just spent good money to have this surgery, why jeopardize this new gift to allow you to be someone new inside and out.
If you're still on liquids, what helped me is making homemade Bone Broth Soups with hearty vegetables (the Soup was strained for me) or Hearty brothy stews (also strained for me). It allowed me to eat with my family and enjoy the same meals. I ate more soup to get my Proteins (15 per serving vs. 30) in vs just a shake, but my body was better for it. I also heavily relied on sf popsicles and Jello in those early days.
There are lots of threads if you search to give you menu ideas for each stage of your journey. But the one thing I cannot stress enough is don't change your diet before you have consulted with your medical team.

Margocl thanks i haven’t tried anything I been with the Protein Shakes Water and crystal light and the sugar free pop. What I went through is to better my health through the pain and hunger I will not mess this up for myself I will stay will the liquids til I see my doctor I know in the long run it will all be worth it thanks. Just needed advice and convo from ppl that’s going through what I’m going through

Has anyone had this happen? If I’m eating slowly and I get full, I don’t notice it at first but I put the next bite in my mouth and start chewing and then all of a sudden I start gagging before I even swallow it’s like my mouth realizes I’m about to eat too much and I can’t physically eat it at all...

53 minutes ago, Megan Sadler said:

Has anyone had this happen? If I’m eating slowly and I get full, I don’t notice it at first but I put the next bite in my mouth and start chewing and then all of a sudden I start gagging before I even swallow it’s like my mouth realizes I’m about to eat too much and I can’t physically eat it at all...

Not quite to that extreme, but it usually happens right before I put the next bite in my mouth. And it's like suddenly a little light goes off and says... umm, dummy...you're full. quite eating before it's too late. I've challenged that feeling twice and the results have been vomiting.

I've had it happen twice and I vomited. It happened again last night but I didn't vomit this time because I spit the food in my mouth out. When it did come up I got the slimes and nausea almost immediately after I swallowed. I'd say pretty much the whole meal comes up also. SUCKS.

On 10/02/2018 at 17:14, leeanna1309 said:

hey im one week post op and just wondering how everyone has done it so far im finding it very hard

What are you finding the most difficult?

On 10/01/2018 at 22:10, ChellNC said:

My boobs have also gone flat. I swear they're getting longer too. Ughhhhh! Never thought I'd want a boob job but I want them back up on my chest after I lose all my weight and stay stable for a while. If they keep getting much longer they're going to be past my bellybutton before I know it! 😮😲😥

I’m only 26 and mine are deflating. Definitely getting a boob job.

I’m only 26 and mine are deflating. Definitely getting a boob job.
While mine have shrunk, they have never looked better. Their bounce and perk came back...so much so my bf didn't believe me when I said I wasn't wearing a bra. Haha...I guess all those teen years when my parents discouraged a bra have paid off.... my breasts at 46 look better than at 26