Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

On 09/07/2018 at 13:30, Elizabeeth said:

@mercmerc , I feel your pain !! I dropped 25 pounds in the first 3 weeks and I’m going on 7 weeks and haven’t lost a thing !!! So frustrated !
Yeah im a little scared that i'll never loose

Thank you! But its still discouraging
How do your clothes feel? How do you feel in your body (not looking at scale)?

When I don't see the scale move I judge on my clothes and how I feel personally. I am seeing subtle changes to my body. My legs are thinner, my neck is thinner, facial features are more prominent vs fat round face.

Take the NSV into account. I'm not going to say muscle weighs more than fat because 1lb is 1 lb. The difference is a pound of muscle is smaller than a pound of fat.

I know you feel discouraged, but try to see all the other positive things happening to your body right now.
Take a picture of you today with an outfit from the past and compare it to a picture of you wearing that same outfit. I bet you will see a giant difference! I bought a 1-piece jumper 2 weeks before surgery to do just that. I use that jumper as my motivation to keep on my path because I really don't like how I looked pre-surgery.

Find 1 thing to be happy with on yourself every day and focus on something else besides the scale. You're a beautiful young lady, don't be discouraged, you have a lot of supporters right here to help you through those difficult times.

On 09/07/2018 at 13:33, mercmerc said:

Yeah im a little scared that i'll never loose
girl i feel you. i lost for 2 weeks after surgery and then just stopped (right around when i could eat more than puréed) and i stalled the rest of the time until just yesterday (which was 6 weeks and a day post op) so just trust the process. our bodies are adjusting and doing weird things. my dr told me stalls happen bc your body isn’t used to eating so little and it goes into starvation mode. another thing i’ve liked to do is take measurements at the beginning of each month. in my first month post op i lost an inch around every spot except for my bust! so that was cool to see even though i wasn’t losing weight. just try your best to trust the process, and when you have doubts and feel down, that’s what we’re all here for!

@mercmerc I haven’t hit a stall yet but yes they happen. Just when it happens 1) make sure what you’re doing is right for your body, change things up. If that doesn’t work then just keep pushing. The stall will end.

Yes i do see my clothes looser and my leg muscles are starting to show my arms are more jiggly lol and people are seeing it my stomach is flatter and al but the scale wont budge

1 hour ago, mercmerc said:
2 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

it's me Frustr8, getting . ready to to go home. Bag of sodium,solution going into, my iv, once it gets done I'm history here. No more than cat scratches. Amazing to me too. write more later.

Glad everything went great ❤️❤️

So excited to hear how everything went! So far so good and so pleased!

I’m over two weeks into my stall and I’m 20lbs down since surgery at almost six weeks out. I’m scared and nervous that this isn’t going to work for me, and when I met with my NUT the other day she was really surprised at the lack of restriction I’ve been describing, so that made me feel even more stressed out. Hoping this stall breaks soon because it’s messing with my head!!

5 hours ago, Megan Sadler said:

So I’ve been thinking about eating lately—like how it’ll work a year from now or 2. Is it always going to be 1/4 cup 3x a day?

My plan has me currently eating 1/4 cup 5 times a day. As time goes on if 1/4 cup doesn't satisfy me I can increase to 1/2 cup. Long term if I get to the point where I need 1 cup of food to get full then I have to decrease my meals to 3 times a day. 3 cups of food is a drastically different quantity than what I was eating pre-op so I'm happy with that forever. lol

How do you fit Water in between the food!! My plan says no water 30 minutes before or after and take 20 minutes to eat for you that’s 6 hours and 40 minutes where you can’t drink!!! If that’s how your plan is. I know it takes me about an hour to drink 8 oz of water. Sometimes less sometimes longer.

27 minutes ago, AEdoesRnY said:

I’m over two weeks into my stall and I’m 20lbs down since surgery at almost six weeks out. I’m scared and nervous that this isn’t going to work for me, and when I met with my NUT the other day she was really surprised at the lack of restriction I’ve been describing, so that made me feel even more stressed out. Hoping this stall breaks soon because it’s messing with my head!!

Did you have RNY or Sleeve?

19 minutes ago, Ylime said:

My plan has me currently eating 1/4 cup 5 times a day. As time goes on if 1/4 cup doesn't satisfy me I can increase to 1/2 cup. Long term if I get to the point where I need 1 cup of food to get full then I have to decrease my meals to 3 times a day. 3 cups of food is a drastically different quantity than what I was eating pre-op so I'm happy with that forever. lol

How do you all measure the whole 1/4 cup thing? Do you literally stick food in a measuring cup or do you eyeball it?

Ellie I have a measuring cup that I use to measure out my food too

3 minutes ago, Megan Sadler said:

Ellie I have a measuring cup that I use to measure out my food too

Yickes, so u measure in cup, turn put it in a plate and essentially wash that cup out each time? And what proportion stuff do you put in cup? Like half meat Hal’s veggies? What’s in them cups? I’ll be polishing me cup for next Wednesday!

On 09/07/2018 at 17:08, ellie123 said:

Did you have RNY or Sleeve?

I had RNY. I have been having softer foods a lot of the time still, so that might explain part of it. Had chicken breast and veggies for dinner tonight and that made me feel full faster so I’m crossing fingers!

1 minute ago, AEdoesRnY said:

I had RNY. I have been having softer foods a lot of the time still, so that might explain part of it. Had chicken breast and veggies for dinner tonight and that made me feel full faster so I’m crossing fingers!

Then, you should be good. Compared to what you ate prior, it will be physically impossible for you to not to loose!