Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

On 09/02/2018 at 09:34, AEdoesRnY said:

I’m over two weeks into a stall and have been super down about it, thanks for sharing that yours has ended and that it lasted 3.5 weeks! I know I should know better after researching and reading this site and all that, but I’ve been really stressed and frustrated by this whole extended plateau thing!
Totally can relate! When I first stalled, I told myself, “The three week stall is totally normal and happens to nearly everyone!” Then a week passed and I repeated the above to myself... then week two passed, and I started researching, but not finding definitive answers, how long the three week stall typically lasts. Then week three passed and I started to get really frustrated and debated calling my surgeons office.

The truth is there is no set time for how long the 3 weeks stall will last. Some it only lasts a week for... others stalled for a month... but it does break eventually.

Just remember that there is likely no possible way you could be consuming enough calories to be gaining weight or not losing at this point... so whatever is causing it is not your fault.

09/02/2018 08:46 AM, insta_adventurer said:

Totally can relate! When I first stalled, I told myself, “The three week stall is totally normal and happens to nearly everyone!” Then a week passed and I repeated the above to myself... then week two passed, and I started researching, but not finding definitive answers, how long the three week stall typically lasts. Then week three passed and I started to get really frustrated and debated calling my surgeons office.

This sounds like you’re almost quoting my inner monologue verbatim, haha!

On 09/02/2018 at 09:46, insta_adventurer said:

The truth is there is no set time for how long the 3 weeks stall will last. Some it only lasts a week for... others stalled for a month... but it does break eventually.

Just remember that there is likely no possible way you could be consuming enough calories to be gaining weight or not losing at this point... so whatever is causing it is not your fault.

But i did gain a pound 😭

Gained a pound overall, or since yesterday? I've been gaining and losing the same 2 pounds over and over and over again these last couple weeks! I'm just trying to be patient and not obsess...though I'm not always successful :)

On 09/02/2018 at 09:58, AEdoesRnY said:

Gained a pound overall, or since yesterday? I've been gaining and losing the same 2 pounds over and over and over again these last couple weeks! I'm just trying to be patient and not obsess...though I'm not always successful :)

Like the day before yesterday but just stepped on the scale and lost it. Hopefully its down from there again :(((

2 hours ago, Megan Sadler said:

@Ellie123 I haven’t seen that link would you share it again?

Here you go...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/aZrA4fgn_eg?feature=oembed

47 minutes ago, AEdoesRnY said:

Could this be around the monthly cycle time? I always again around that time.

Hmmm. I need to remind myself OFTEN that this is not a crash diet, it’s for good, I’m doing the best I can so whether I stand on the scale or not... it will not change how I eat for the day but it could really ruin my mood and make it difficult for me. It’s hard not to be a Slave to that scale though. We did something so drastic, we want results and we want them NOW dangit! About to go weig myself now. As of day 10 post op yesterday, I had lost the 9lb IV Fluid I gained at surgery and was a mere little 2lb down from surgery day. Talk about aggravating especially when I’m on Clear Liquids only...

but I’m reminding myself, it’s a marathon and not a race. And steady wins the race. Rate of loss is different for everyone, we just have to accept and love our bodies for even giving up the weight following the years of food abuse we have put it through.

Edited by ellie123

I can say the day my stall broke, my period also started. I am not sure if those things are related, but quite possibly, as I am typically bloated/retaining Fluid prior to my period.

@mercmerc that’s my point. If scale shows you gained weight- it is likely hormonal or fluid retention or perhaps a bit backed up... any number of things... all of which are not your fault and out of your control. If you stick with your program, it will come off. Especially with that workout routine of yours!!

On 09/02/2018 at 07:42, ellie123 said:
This just makes so much sense to me! I wish my Dr shared this vision. Mine wants me to be up to 45 minutes a day of cardio by the time I see him 3 months post op.......but I’m finding that I really don’t have the energy!

So week 3 I gained 3 pounds and didn’t weigh myself again until week 5 and then I lost 10 pounds more. I don’t think weighing daily is healthy for anyone and I’m week 6.5 and I haven’t weighed since week 5... I think we can do is just follow the program... do our best... and it will all work out in the end!!! Good luck 🍀 to us Alan

Hi guys something weird is going on. Now I’m 5 weeks out and for some reason I feel real hunger. Like my stomach would be grumbling but I really wouldn’t feel like eating because eating is just annoying now. Sometimes I would eat and 20 minutes later my stomach would be growling again. It’s really disheartening. I don’t know what to do.