Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

Question for you all. In the first two weeks post surgery, did anyone not crush up their pills?

I have both the hospital meds and my own personal meds to take. Crushing them up without food is absolutely disgusting. I cut them up into tiny pieces in the hospital and swallow them with no problem but the nurse said I may not absorb those as well.

I definitely need to absorb my seizure meds as well as possible.
My doctor gave me liquid Multi Vitamins. They are called BariLife.< br>
Sent from my SM-G928T using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi all,

I am 3 weeks post op today. I did not crush any of my pills and quite frankly they made me sick so I stopped taking them. Yes, I tried nausea medicine and it didn't work. My med team advised against crushing because some of those meds are meant to be extended release.

I don't know if I am in a stall but I am weighing myself 1x a week. I have to survive and I am barely scratching 450 calories which some say puts your body in "starvation mode". The reality is I can only get a tiny bit of food in and thats ok!

Try to remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint! We have had major abdominal surgery! Our bodies are healing, adjusting and in shock all at the same time. Our journeys will each hold similarities and differences and be unique to each of us! i don't plan on worrying unless I get six months post-op and Ive only lost 22 pounds!

HW - 276

SW - 272

CW - 250

15 days post op and I just took my Vitamins for the first time. I have the BA Ultra Multi with Iron. About 15 minutes after I took them, I couldn't hold back the nausea and had to run to the bathroom in a cold sweat. I think tomorrow I'll try Centrum chewable because that's what I've got handy right now but I'm open to suggestions.
I just hope I don't puke again. Any ideas on how to prevent this?
Try the BariLife power vitamins. Mix it with Water and your done. No need for other vitamins.

Sent from my SM-G928T using BariatricPal mobile app

39 minutes ago, ernie55 said:

Has anyone else experienced anxiety or depression after surgery? No one seems to want to comment on this issue l could really use some feedback I'm one week post op I'm did well with the surgery just last couple days feel really weird

please any feedback back would help

I know the first two weeks I felt very tired and had very little energy. I didn't feel depressed or anxious, but I shared the same "Oh, My Gosh, was this necessary" and "What did I do" thoughts! Initially I felt so icky I didn't regret it but I questioned if the hard part really would go away. I can happily say at the first day of my 3rd week I feel much better and more like me personality wise as opposed to dreary, tired, and not wanting to do much.

It will get better! The beginning weeks are a struggle but this awesome community is here for you!

Hi there. I know the depression and anxiety. It’s a major surgery we just went through. It gets better. Six weeks out now and it’s getting better. Hang in there and these boards are great.

Thanks great to hear I'm one week out and walking 30 min a day I hope it does get better soon I know it wil. God brought us to this an he will see us trough this. Prayer and blessings to all

Oh btw I never thought I would say I can't wait to be back at work I see my doctor on the 27 th

lets keep in touch

god bless

my info

54 year old male from San Antonio TX

starting weight 315

surgery weight 297

i will post my weight tomorrow 1 week post op

3 hours ago, AELdoesRNY said:
3 hours ago, Ylime said:

Question for you all. In the first two weeks post surgery, did anyone not crush up their pills?

I have both the hospital meds and my own personal meds to take. Crushing them up without food is absolutely disgusting. I cut them up into tiny pieces in the hospital and swallow them with no problem but the nurse said I may not absorb those as well.

I was told that anything I took had to be small enough to fit both ways through a straw, otherwise they need to be crushed. If I cut them into quarters to swallow, I had to spread it out over the course of four “sips”. (I was on a plan of 1 ounce every 15 minutes my first couple days home)

This is what I was doing in the hospital and the easiest way to get them down. I think I'm going to have to continue and see how it goes. I just cannot crush them anymore. I wish they made my meds in a liquid form - that would be so much easier!!

You know what is pissing me off? My phone ringing off the hook! The pharmacy calling to check on me, the nurse calling to check on me, my insurance company calling me (WTF ?!- I'm self pay!), my leave of absence company calling to confirm dates, the pharmacy calling again to thank me for my business. All of this in ONE day. Can a person not just recover in peace?!

On 08/16/2018 at 17:11, Ylime said:

You know what is pissing me off? My phone ringing off the hook! The pharmacy calling to check on me, the nurse calling to check on me, my insurance company calling me (WTF ?!- I'm self pay!), my leave of absence company calling to confirm dates, the pharmacy calling again to thank me for my business. All of this in ONE day. Can a person not just recover in peace?!

lol, I remember all of those neverending calls! I still get a call from the pharmacy here and there to make sure I’m taking my proper meds 😂

YLime you are one loved woman today! And we thought we,could get,along witout you? Boy we were wrong, you are the Center of the Universe, at least in Colorado you are! Put that baseball bat down, you know that weighs more than your 10 pound weight tolerance! You can bash them on the noggin another time!

I'm 3 weeks post-VSG. No problems, pain is gone. As a vegan I've struggled with what to eat but I'm making sure I get enough Protein everyday. I am tapping into my kitchen creativity and making some very unusual but tasty puree meals.

On 08/16/2018 at 13:15, Ylime said:

I did not crush any. They did switch mine to non-extended release, but I had RNY so YMMV.

My medications have not given me any trouble, but I did stop taking my potassium, because they sucker is huuuuge and the other pills filled me up as it was!

I'm now almost 2 months post op from RNY. Went back to work Monday. I work a school so that's when all employees went back. I've been walking a ton all week, hitting my Fluid and Protein goals and the stupid scale hasn't budged this week. I'm guessing the change in routine is throwing my body out of whack. I'm only 15lbs from onderland. I know this stall will break soon but I just needed to whine for a second lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app