Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

On 08/16/2018 at 13:01, AELdoesRNY said:

Ah, shit...mothers and daughters and weight, am I right?

Can you set some ground rules with her? Like you’re not allowed to comment on my weight/weight loss/appearance/etc? I did that with my immediate family (besides husband) because I anticipated all sorts of well intentioned but very upsetting comments...
Well she's been my number one support shes like my best friend. I think shes just anxious to see me skinny that sometimes forgets its a long process. But i'll explain the stall to her once again

On 08/16/2018 at 12:03, mercmerc said:

Well she's been my number one support shes like my best friend. I think shes just anxious to see me skinny that sometimes forgets its a long process. But i'll explain the stall to her once again
Yeah, I just feel like there’s something so specifically complicated about moms and daughters and their relationship around weight, at least it always has been for me. Any negative comments, etc, from my mom have always been from a place of wanting me to be happy/being scared or sad for me. But just because they’re well-intentioned doesn’t mean they don’t feel crappy.

The rule I made with my family was that they weren’t allowed to comment on it unless I brought it up first, and I specifically gave parameters around what kinds of comments would be nice and what kinds of comments would make me uncomfortable/upset/etc. They’ve slipped up but at least when it happens I can just say “hey remember the ground rules I sent!” Rather than it being a whole thing!

On 08/16/2018 at 13:07, AELdoesRNY said:

Yeah, I just feel like there’s something so specifically complicated about moms and daughters and their relationship around weight, at least it always has been for me. Any negative comments, etc, from my mom have always been from a place of wanting me to be happy/being scared or sad for me. But just because they’re well-intentioned doesn’t mean they don’t feel crappy.

The rule I made with my family was that they weren’t allowed to comment on it unless I brought it up first, and I specifically gave parameters around what kinds of comments would be nice and what kinds of comments would make me uncomfortable/upset/etc. They’ve slipped up but at least when it happens I can just say “hey remember the ground rules I sent!” Rather than it being a whole thing!
That seems like a good idea!! But living under her roof its kind of hard to make rules but since our relationship is actually really good i'll talk about it and hopefully things change a bit.

Good luck! It’s nice that you’re starting from a place of her being a big supporter - sharing how those comments make you feel and asking her to try a different tack will make a big difference!

On 08/16/2018 at 13:11, AELdoesRNY said:

Good luck! It’s nice that you’re starting from a place of her being a big supporter - sharing how those comments make you feel and asking her to try a different tack will make a big difference!
Yess hopefully it also helps my weight go down!!

Question for you all. In the first two weeks post surgery, did anyone not crush up their pills?

I have both the hospital meds and my own personal meds to take. Crushing them up without food is absolutely disgusting. I cut them up into tiny pieces in the hospital and swallow them with no problem but the nurse said I may not absorb those as well.

I definitely need to absorb my seizure meds as well as possible.

On 08/16/2018 at 10:15, Ylime said:

Question for you all. In the first two weeks post surgery, did anyone not crush up their pills?

I have both the hospital meds and my own personal meds to take. Crushing them up without food is absolutely disgusting. I cut them up into tiny pieces in the hospital and swallow them with no problem but the nurse said I may not absorb those as well.

I didn’t crush anything, but I would suggest doing whatever your medical team advised.

On 08/16/2018 at 12:15, Ylime said:

I was told that anything I took had to be small enough to fit both ways through a straw, otherwise they need to be crushed. If I cut them into quarters to swallow, I had to spread it out over the course of four “sips”. (I was on a plan of 1 ounce every 15 minutes my first couple days home)

My facility poem? If it does not go through***It's not Stage#2I'll Catchy, isn't it? I wonder if they paid someone good money to come,up with that?

29 minutes ago, Ylime said:

I had my dr order them in capsule form so i can just open it and take the beads on the inside, because crushing hem was so gross

15 days post op and I just took my Vitamins for the first time. I have the BA Ultra Multi with Iron. About 15 minutes after I took them, I couldn't hold back the nausea and had to run to the bathroom in a cold sweat. I think tomorrow I'll try Centrum chewable because that's what I've got handy right now but I'm open to suggestions.

I just hope I don't puke again. Any ideas on how to prevent this?

Has anyone else experienced anxiety or depression after surgery? No one seems to want to comment on this issue l could really use some feedback I'm one week post op I'm did well with the surgery just last couple days feel really weird

please any feedback back would help

On 08/16/2018 at 11:10, photogirl70 said:

15 days post op and I just took my Vitamins for the first time. I have the BA Ultra Multi with Iron. About 15 minutes after I took them, I couldn't hold back the nausea and had to run to the bathroom in a cold sweat. I think tomorrow I'll try Centrum chewable because that's what I've got handy right now but I'm open to suggestions.

I just hope I don't puke again. Any ideas on how to prevent this?

I was told only chewable for the first 3 months. I’m worried once I start pills if they will make me sick as they have in the past? Take them with food and see if that helps? I have been using the PatchMD and I love them but some Drs don’t think they work? so will see at my 3 month blood work.......

10 minutes ago, chattycat said:

I was told only chewable for the first 3 months. I’m worried once I start pills if they will make me sick as they have in the past? Take them with food and see if that helps? I have been using the PatchMD and I love them but some Drs don’t think they work? so will see at my 3 month blood work.......

I did that then shortly after I ate. I talk with my nutritionist today and will see what she says. The instructions on mine said 3 caps once daily. I wonder if it would be less of a shock to take 1 cap 3 times daily. The BA definitely has more than the Centrum.