Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

@amalicea I get the same feeling when I eat as well but not right away after a couple spoonfuls.

9 hours ago, amalicea said:

Does/did anyone experience pain when eating? I don’t mean in our stomach but right after you swallow as it goes down

I experience the same thing after a couple of spoonfuls. I’m 10 days post op.

I’m 3 weeks post op today, the last 2 days I have been extremely nauseous. Anyone else experience this? I don’t know what’s going on and why all of a sudden.

On 08/13/2018 at 22:40, roxanaadriz said:

Question

I am 3 weeks Post Op and Sat evening I started having discomfort/pain 2 inches or so above my large incision. I felt like I needed to hold it just to walk.. I was fine before that day. I must mention, I did a lot of walking that day.... more than usual. I called my Dr and I’m going in tomorrow, but wanted some insight from anyone that experienced this before.
I have that feeling too. It comes after I bend too much or do too much. I walk around holding my large incision in for support.

On 08/13/2018 at 23:18, mercmerc said:

Or when I sit hunched over too much when I get it up feels like my stomach muscles stretch and i have to hold my stomach to stand up straight again
Me too. Perfectly normal after activity.

Please add me- 8/6 rny❣️❣️

So now 8 days out of surgery... and I am still mixed. With no weight loss at first appointment, and jumping to pureed because at least i get my Protein in, I wonder why I can no longer stomach the shakes. Legit 2 swallows and it hits a wave of spasm pain. Same for Soup or Jello. But gatorade is okay. If I can only have 2 spoonfuls of something (and it is hard mentally to make it 2 spoonfuls) I really need the protein. And I need to force more Water. I just don't always have the urge to eat/drink.

On 08/14/2018 at 19:42, Starr2015 said:

So now 8 days out of surgery... and I am still mixed. With no weight loss at first appointment, and jumping to pureed because at least i get my Protein in, I wonder why I can no longer stomach the shakes. Legit 2 swallows and it hits a wave of spasm pain. Same for Soup or Jello. But gatorade is okay. If I can only have 2 spoonfuls of something (and it is hard mentally to make it 2 spoonfuls) I really need the Protein. And I need to force more Water. I just don't always have the urge to eat/drink.

It is tough, but you just need to prioritize getting the liquids and protein your program states. It will get better soon! I’m 1 month post-op and no longer have discomfort unless I eat too much or eat too fast.

The first few weeks are the hardest. I still have to prioritize and be mindful of drinking Water and hitting my 64oz goal every day for fluids.

3 minutes ago, insta_adventurer said:

It is tough, but you just need to prioritize getting the liquids and Protein your program states. It will get better soon! I’m 1 month post-op and no longer have discomfort unless I eat too much or eat too fast.

The first few weeks are the hardest. I still have to prioritize and be mindful of drinking Water and hitting my 64oz goal every day for fluids.

I try. We bought gatorade because I will actually drink the bottles. I drink more in the afternoon and night, not really eating a meal until about 12pm or later. I am no where near 64 oz but even before surgery I am a chronic nondrinker that paid for it with kidney stones.

Towards the later part of the night I tend to try to drink a shake and a gatorade. But I just feel nauseous most of the time whether I eat/drink/nothing.

On 08/14/2018 at 20:11, Starr2015 said:

I try. We bought gatorade because I will actually drink the bottles. I drink more in the afternoon and night, not really eating a meal until about 12pm or later. I am no where near 64 oz but even before surgery I am a chronic nondrinker that paid for it with kidney stones.

Towards the later part of the night I tend to try to drink a shake and a gatorade. But I just feel nauseous most of the time whether I eat/drink/nothing.

If you’re still feeling nauseas, make sure you tell your surgeon’s office about it. It may be nothing, but it may also be caused by something that they need to or can treat.

I can’t recall if I had nausea that far out. I think my only bout of unexplained nausea was the day after surgery.

2 minutes ago, insta_adventurer said:

If you’re still feeling nauseas, make sure you tell your surgeon’s office about it. It may be nothing, but it may also be caused by something that they need to or can treat.

I can’t recall if I had nausea that far out. I think my only bout of unexplained nausea was the day after surgery.

They prescribed more zofran but, alas, insurance company said refill too soon (I had 1 week supply after hospital but it is treated as a month refill). So, I am left with just my anti spasmodic and tylenol and gabapentin and protonix.

1 minute ago, insta_adventurer said:

Seconding this! I was in the hospital for two days after my sleeve because of nausea. I still felt a little pukey for maybe one more day, but I'm a week out now and its pretty much gone. Definitely ask them about it.

I'm still a gas machine, but no wanting to upchuck, thankfully.

It’s official - I’m here! Surgery went well yesterday. Finally out of the groggy feeling and trying to mange my pain. Glad to be on the other side!

57 minutes ago, Ylime said:

It’s official - I’m here! Surgery went well yesterday. Finally out of the groggy feeling and trying to mange my pain. Glad to be on the other side!

Welcome to the other side!! Glad it went well! I found the pain was bad but got significantly better each day! By day four or five tylenol was enough to manage it. Good luck and speedy recovery!!