Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

5 minutes ago, Jill Adrienne said:

Just had bypass on 8/1.

How is it going so far?

Chrisb, going well. First few days were heavy pain meds. Now that I am home and doing more, there are new pains, but people on here say that is normal.

14 minutes ago, Jill Adrienne said:

Just had bypass on 8/1.

I'm just 1 day in front of you. I had the sleeve 7/31

Edited by photogirl70

11 minutes ago, Jill Adrienne said:

Chrisb, going well. First few days were heavy pain meds. Now that I am home and doing more, there are new pains, but people on here say that is normal.

I am scheduled for the 28th, not looking forward to the pain!

On 8/10/2018 at 12:57 PM, Kat0000 said:

Yay. Me too. Wow its finally happening!!!!! Are you all ready now?

I’m getting ready. Off work now so doing some “meal” planning and taking care of stuff around the house so I don’t have to worry about that later. What about you?

12 minutes ago, Ylime said:

I’m getting ready. Off work now so doing some “meal” planning and taking care of stuff around the house so I don’t have to worry about that later. What about you?

Scheduling some bills in advance , doing some laundry. So things will be done while I am in hospital . My Mom lives with us, shes 78 and will do too much if I let her. I will be in the hospital from Tues to Friday so going to pack my bag tomorrow. I dont have young children anymore so no meal planning. Only my youngest still lives at home and goes to Georgia Southern University which starts the day of my surgery. Shes becoming a science teacher for HS. Husband is in the US Army. Thats my story...

Good luck to all the August peeps. I’m on the 29 th and start liquid diet on Tuesday. 2 days of NORMAL food and then liquid all the way. Soon to be on the losers bench yea!!!!!

On 08/11/2018 at 18:29, Chrisb428 said:

I am scheduled for the 28th, not looking forward to the pain!

The pain is totally manageable. I was worried too, but it is more of a discomfort.

On 08/11/2018 at 18:18, photogirl70 said:

I'm just 1 day in front of you. I had the sleeve 7/31

How are you feeling? I now have a tightness that wasn’t there a few days ago.

Jill, I had my sleeve on 7/24 I had tightness from day 4-10, it felt like a ball that was blown up to much. I was so happy when it finally went away.

Well, by reading yall experiences it helps alot for surgery on Tuesday. Sleeve with hiatal hernia repair. Whats the tightness feeling for? The gas pain worries me a little not going to lie.... And bought everything possibe to avoid Constipation but they wont release me until day 4 on Friday.

Edited by Kat0000

Jill, I've had tightness, like a big knot behind my largest incision. I also have had some issues with a large hardness in my upper right abdomen. The last few days, around my largest incision has been red and itchy and it comes and goes. I'm going to touch base with my doc on Monday just to make sure I'm not developing an infection.

Other than that, I feel pretty good. I went out to a concert with my daughter last night. Luckily, we were at the barrier so I had something to lean on, but I was on my feet from 5 pm until after 11.

My surgeon gave me permission to start venturing into soft foods a little early but the only thing I've had other than shakes and broth (just the first few days) is cottage cheese and scrambled eggs, white cheddar cauliflower Soup, a small bit of broccoli cheese mush, and egg drop soup.

I would love to hear what you are doing with regards to meal planning.

My VSG was 8/7. Feeling great, Protein and Water is no sweat!! Finally pooped today.

6 minutes ago, Kat0000 said:

Well, by reading yall experiences it helps alot for surgery on Tuesday. Sleeve with hiatal hernia repair. Whats the tightness feeling for? The gas pain worries me a little not going to lie.... And bought everything possibe to avoid Constipation but they wont release me until day 4 on Friday.

I had a lot of issues with constipation, but I was home the same day I had surgery. (sleeve w/ hh repair) and wish I had taken something earlier. I'm better now though. I am not sure what the tightness is but I've heard it from several people. I think the area behind my incision is part of the healing process and scar tissue forming.

As far as gas pain goes, just like everyone else will tell you, walking helps a lot. Pats on the back help too. I liked mine more like pounding on my back.