Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

On 08/01/2018 at 15:46, Herewego2018 said:

I'm also curious - how long did you wait to weigh yourself after surgery? I feel temped but I'm also guessing all the fluids from being in the hospital and the healing process means weight loss isn't really happening/major part of the process right now. Debating whether I should just wait until my one week follow up with surgeon (if I have the self-restraint) or if I should weigh myself sooner...

I waited until my first post op appointment, and I am glad that I did. I didn’t have a super rough recovery, but I remember thinking, if I’ not losing weight while I am going through this, it will be torture! It was nice to see the new number at the office, but it still wasn’t as much as I’d hoped. I think it’s easy to get fixated on the scale, so try to focus on how you feel, and being healthy, rather than the number. The weight will come off!

2 hours ago, Herewego2018 said:

It's weird to think that today is only day 2, I feel like it's been a lot longer! I've heard that day 5 is the magical day of feeling somewhat healed/back to normal...I can't wait!

I've only been able to burp and I've minimally passed gas like 3-4 times from "that end" but no BMs yet. My pain has been off and on, some pretty sharp pangs of gas, I think, and some general ow, stitches and staples inside feelings. They sent me home with Dilaudid (only 15 pills with instructions to take 0.5-2 every four hours as needed). I've had two so far today - one this morning and one this afternoon - and I'm planning on having 1 or 1.5 before bed. My nurse said I could have some chewable GasX, and that actually seems to be helping a lot (though I just took it 15-20 minutes ago...). How's walking going for you?

I cant wait for this magical day! After tomorrow we have 2 days. Im dying to sleep in my bed I just look at it and start thinking how wonderful it will be to get outta bed with no pain. My left side hurts way too much to get my ass off the bed correctly. I can lay down just fine but getting up almost requires a full barrel roll off the side. I def have pain on my whole left side from the RNY and my hiatal hernia repair and I have a drain there too well upper esophagus area. I bought some chewable gas-x also took that this morning. So far so good had a huge passing of gas thank god a little earlier. I did make the mistake of weighing myself too many fluids going through the body at the moment. I weighed more when I came in. About 4 pounds up now.

GeminiSky you had me dying laughing when you said barrel rolling because that’s exactly what I had to do for the first week. I am 8 days post op and laying in bed for the first time pain free. The last couple days my insides have been more sore then my healing incisions. Plus I like sleeping in my side and it’s finally comfortable to do so again!
I still have gas pains though, they’re very random and will wake me up sometimes. It’s getting better though! How many days post op are you?

Welp. Ate too fast at dinner and just vomited it all back up. So that’s a lesson learned. I feel so much better now!

8 minutes ago, Jbyerly101 said:

GeminiSky you had me dying laughing when you said barrel rolling because that’s exactly what I had to do for the first week. I am 8 days post op and laying in bed for the first time pain free. The last couple days my insides have been more sore then my healing incisions. Plus I like sleeping in my side and it’s finally comfortable to do so again!
I still have gas pains though, they’re very random and will wake me up sometimes. It’s getting better though! How many days post op are you?

Hi there! My surgery was 7:30am on 7/30 (so 2 days tomorrow is the 3rd day) and im going to keep trying to lay in my bed. Im exhausted and the couch isnt good for me to lay on, nor is my other chair. Im in pain definitely on the left hand side big time. Just feels "tight", lots of noise going on here too when I drink my protein/water/1oz of food its like the noises from Jurassic Park. I wish I was at 8 days. Ive been having a bit of buyers remorse seeing im trying my best to keep up with the Water intake, walking while in pain, trying not to pass out at my computer seeing that I need a healing place to lay and its going to be my bed. I guess im just worried that Im going to pull something inside if I have to keep trying to get off the bed. Im definitely incredibly much more sore and swollen from the inside than my incisions. How were you the first 2-4 days? I wont lie im upset with how slow im healing but im just impatient. I had RNY, haital hernia repair and I have a drain too which annoys the living crap outta me. That gets taken out 8/7/18.

Edited by GeminiSky

Had my surgery 7/24. I went today for weigh in and only lost 6 pounds since surgery. How much did y’all lose your first week out?

10 hours ago, cherylcasper said:

Had my surgery 7/24. I went today for weigh in and only lost 6 pounds since surgery. How much did y’all lose your first week out?

I had only lost 4 lbs during my first week. You have to remember that there is lots of swelling during those early days. I’m now losing about a pound a day. 3 weeks post op.

What dosage of milk of magnesia did you all try out? Sorry for TMI, but I’m day three of post-op and am very blocked up, feeling like I need to BM pretty bad but not able to get anything going. The recommended dose is 2tbsp with a full glass of Water, but I’m only drinking 1oz every fifteen minutes...I’m curious what you all tried and what worked for you...not sure whether fill 2tbsp is too much or if just doing the 1tbsp is not enough?

Surgery was 7/31 and I was out and back home by 3 pm. For the next 24 hours, I was only able to get in about 38 oz of Water. I get why we have to sip now. Those dry burp/heaves are no freaking joke! Yesterday afternoon, I started the Protein and Water. I was able to get 30 g of Protein and not as much water as I hoped.

My stomach is sore AF and I've been sleeping in a slightly upright position on the couch and at night I get up every 2 1/2 hours to walk for 5-10 minutes...slowly. I 've been taking 1 pain pill pretty much every 4-5 hours but sometimes I stretch it out for longer. I can for sure tell when they wear off. I had to take a pain pill at 3 last night because that was as bad as I've hurt so far.

I go in for IV therapy today and I've already got my Breakfast6 oz of Protein Drink done.

On 07/28/2018 at 16:04, brandnewashley said:

I think I hit that 3 week stall that I keep reading about 😩. Tuesday will make it 4 weeks post op for me and my scale haven’t moved in a week. Trying to stay positive.
I'm with you on this. I'm trying to stay positive as well. I have notice that I'm still losing inches, but nothing on the scale. So I'm trying to stay positive in that respect.

My weight loss has slowed to about 1lb a day. I think my initial rapid loss was mostly Water so I’m not too concerned with the slow down.

Hi all – Hope everyone is doing well with their recovery! I’m set to join you all in just 11 days!!!

I wanted to post a funny story here that I though you would appreciate.

My mom is very supportive of my surgery even though her Bypass didn’t go well (and she never followed the rules). I’ve had very honest discussions with her before about how critical it is to eat healthy after WLS and why her surgery wasn’t that successful. But I had a conversation with her last night that emphasized her lack of willingness to change and was a prime example of the type of person she is.

She was trying to coordinate a dinner with my family and some of her neighbors. She asked if the end of this month would work for me. I told her no because I’ll be transitioning with my food and I may still be on some combination of liquid and puree. Her response was, “Well if we go someplace with milkshakes you could have that. That’s liquid.”

Yes mom, milkshakes. That’s what my liquid diet will consist of. :rolleyes:

On 08/02/2018 at 18:35, Ylime said:

Hi all – Hope everyone is doing well with their recovery! I’m set to join you all in just 11 days!!!

I wanted to post a funny story here that I though you would appreciate.

My mom is very supportive of my surgery even though her Bypass didn’t go well (and she never followed the rules). I’ve had very honest discussions with her before about how critical it is to eat healthy after WLS and why her surgery wasn’t that successful. But I had a conversation with her last night that emphasized her lack of willingness to change and was a prime example of the type of person she is.

She was trying to coordinate a dinner with my family and some of her neighbors. She asked if the end of this month would work for me. I told her no because I’ll be transitioning with my food and I may still be on some combination of liquid and puree. Her response was, “Well if we go someplace with milkshakes you could have that. That’s liquid.”

Yes mom, milkshakes. That’s what my liquid diet will consist of. :rolleyes:

Oh man! 😂😂 I don’t see how people can handle stuff like that so soon. I feel like I’ve been pretty lucky on tolerating things and the mere thought of a milkshake at this point makes my pouch turn.

Also.. 11 days!!!!! Awesome!!!

Just now, insta_adventurer said:

Oh man! 😂😂 I don’t see how people can handle stuff like that so soon. I feel like I’ve been pretty lucky on tolerating things and the mere thought of a milkshake at this point makes my pouch turn.

Also.. 11 days!!!!! Awesome!!!

She's just crazy. She definitely doesn't get how specific the diet has to be in order to be successful. The liquid phase would be a breeze if we could still just eat whatever we wanted!