Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

07/16/2018 03:50 PM, Bellasoo said:

So, I had surgery on the 12th. I came home on the 14th. I am sore, of course but, I’ve noticed this afternoon, an almost pulling like sensation where my stomach meets my esophagus. It doesn’t really feel like heartburn, more of a soreness in there. When I eat and drink I can feel it. I’m wondering if it’s my staple line? Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I had the some thing. I actually thought I pulledng a muscle, according to the nurse I talked to. Went in for my two week post op with surgeon and he said I pulled an internal stitch. He actually told me to take Alieve for the pain (big no no in post op world)) but working. Good luck and hope you get relief soon.

Hello all, I'm 18 days post op. Had my 2 week post op appointment and they're so happy with my progress. Lost 20 lbs and on soft foods for next 6 weeks. Been walking a lot which I think has help. Finding myself with more energy. Did have one issue, where I thought I had pulled a muscle getting out of car, but found out it was an internal stitch. It's getting better though. Abdominal Binders are amazing!!! Think I've hit that wonderful stall, which is ok. Let's my body adjust to the traumatic differences I put it through. I'm off one of my insulin (Humalog) and only taking 17 units of Lantus ( down from 110). A1C down from 7.6 to 6.7 in two months. I'm so very pleased with that.

Hey Summer 18 Sleevers - I need some advice quick. Six weeks post op & everything has been going really well! Down 25 lbs. Only a couple of slips when I wasn’t paying attention. Then, all of a sudden, yesterday & today, I can’t swallow! oatmeal, very soft. Peach - no skin, very ripe. Tried a Protein Shake & even that got stuck going down! Is it possible that this far after surgery, I could be having some stricture problem? I chew a lot & really small pieces. Not fast either. My next post op appt is Friday the 27 & I love my doc but I’m not even sure who I should call - primary care care doc or go straight to surgeon! And I don’t want to go to the ER! Help!

2 hours ago, churchgirl said:

Hey Summer 18 Sleevers - I need some advice quick. Six weeks post op & everything has been going really well! Down 25 lbs. Only a couple of slips when I wasn’t paying attention. Then, all of a sudden, yesterday & today, I can’t swallow! oatmeal, very soft. Peach - no skin, very ripe. Tried a Protein Shake & even that got stuck going down! Is it possible that this far after surgery, I could be having some stricture problem? I chew a lot & really small pieces. Not fast either. My next post op appt is Friday the 27 & I love my doc but I’m not even sure who I should call - primary care care doc or go straight to surgeon! And I don’t want to go to the ER! Help!

Call your surgeon office after hours number so you can talk to the on call dr. Your primary dr will have no idea.

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to check in. First off, I am 8 days post op and I am 15 pounds down! My highest weight was 298 and I am at 239 today. I’m so excited. Everything seems to be going fine except for the occasional diarrhea. My doc said it’s fine and I see her on Tuesday for my follow-up.

I do have a question. I really do not feel hungry. Every once in a while I will get a gripey hungry feeling when my stomach is empty I remember the doc saying that the hunger hormone would be reduced after surgery but, I honestly thought I would be starving. Does anyone else feel this way? And does that raging hunger ever come back? (I hope not!) I just feel like I need a timer to remind myself to eat.

On 07/21/2018 at 17:20, Bellasoo said:

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to check in. First off, I am 8 days post op and I am 15 pounds down! My highest weight was 298 and I am at 239 today. I’m so excited. Everything seems to be going fine except for the occasional diarrhea. My doc said it’s fine and I see her on Tuesday for my follow-up.

I do have a question. I really do not feel hungry. Every once in a while I will get a gripey hungry feeling when my stomach is empty I remember the doc saying that the hunger hormone would be reduced after surgery but, I honestly thought I would be starving. Does anyone else feel this way? And does that raging hunger ever come back? (I hope not!) I just feel like I need a timer to remind myself to eat.

I had surgery on 7/2 and still have almost no hunger pains or queues. I set a timer to remind me to take a drink every 5 minutes and now the 30 before and after “meal” time but really I just follow a schedule. I was told by my doctor that it happens and to make sure and get my fluids in.

20 minutes ago, Gingertastic said:
58 minutes ago, Bellasoo said:

Hi everyone,

I had surgery on 7/2 and still have almost no hunger pains or queues. I set a timer to remind me to take a drink every 5 minutes and now the 30 before and after “meal” time but really I just follow a schedule. I was told by my doctor that it happens and to make sure and get my fluids in.

It’s an odd feeling. I can’t remember never being hungry. Also, the thought of gorging on a pie or something makes me feel sick. I’ll take it over constantly starving any day though.

2 hours ago, Bellasoo said:

It’s an odd feeling. I can’t remember never being hungry. Also, the thought of gorging on a pie or something makes me feel sick. I’ll take it over constantly starving any day though.

I had surgery on 6/6 and still never get hungry. I was getting dizzy ... then realized I had not eaten in a while. Now, I set a timer on my phone. So bizarre compared to pre-surgery!

Hello all... I'm 5 days post-op and struggling... I was on a liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery... I'm still on the liquid diet... I'm problem is pain in my shoulders from the gas. Also even small amounts of liquid cause my stomach to hurt and swell😞

On 07/21/2018 at 22:12, LovelyJones said:

Hello all... I'm 5 days post-op and struggling... I was on a liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery... I'm still on the liquid diet... I'm problem is pain in my shoulders from the gas. Also even small amounts of liquid cause my stomach to hurt and swell😞
Hey, I am 5 days post op, too. I was pretty grumpy, too until I had a bowel movement. I was experiencing trouble with getting enough in until I got my bowels moving. Also- if you’re still on the prescription painkillers- try switching to liquid tylenol and see if that can manage your pain. The prescription painkillers take the pain away, but can cause other issues.

My first few days I’ve really focused mostly on drinking Water. I’ve started working in more Protein, with protein waters, both broth, and a little bit of Protein Shakes.

12 hours ago, Smaynor1111 said:

How many days out did everyone start on full liquids? I'm so tired of being on clears I'm going insane!

I started on full liquids in the hospital. Day three it was. I had soupy cream of wheat, yogurt, and when I got home I started my shakes.

13 hours ago, Smaynor1111 said:

How many days out did everyone start on full liquids? I'm so tired of being on clears I'm going insane!

I feel your pain towards the end of clears I was wanting something with more substance in the worst way. My program had me on Clear Liquids for the 1st week then I was allowed full liquids for this week. You should have a program that your nutritionist or surgeon gave you, you should follow that. If not you should call them before you try something new. I havn't found a big difference between clears and solids other than the amount of fullness you feel but call just to be safe. Good Luck!!!!

Tomorrow is 6 weeks post op! It was tough to be inside when it was so nice out but I’ve been enjoying it now!