Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

My doctor doesnt allow any nsaids at all.

I am a little over 2.5 weeks out and I feel amazing. That infection was my worst part, but I barely even feel sore. I can’t get in Water for a month, so I am bored. It’s a hot and humid summer in Michigan and my parents just bought a house on a lake lol. They just jump in when it gets too hot and I get to still be hot. I am going to go back to work early, as I am a little stir crazy.

On 07/14/2018 at 07:18, Gingertastic said:

Congrats on your surgery. Just wondering about the use of ibuprofen....I thought that was a big no-no. I know every doctor is different but I’ve seen that in a lot of places.
I questioned my surgeon about the NSAIDS post -op as well. (Of course I couldn’t take them pre-op). My surgeon says my risk of ulcers and bleeding are low and finds that the anti-inflammatories really help with post-op pain. Of course I wouldn’t take them if she didn’t give me the thumbs up! I defo prefer them to taking narcotics that just mask the pain. But everyone is different and so is every surgeon....as I’m discovering reading through all these posts!

On 07/14/2018 at 07:18, Gingertastic said:

Congrats on your surgery. Just wondering about the use of ibuprofen....I thought that was a big no-no. I know every doctor is different but I’ve seen that in a lot of places.
My Dr said ibuprofen was ok temporarily for post op pain but I found Tylenol enough!

Instead of Pure Michigan you're plum stir-crazy. Still okay because we ❤you on Bariatric Pal!

3 minutes ago, Wisha said:

4 days post op!!!

Congrats! The fist 3-4 days post up were rough for me. But feeling fantastic now at about 5.5 weeks post op

Four days post op. Doing well. Tolerating fluids ice pops Jello. Have an appetite. No more nausea and the pain is bearable.

I had my surgery on July 12. Walking a lot and trying to drink fluids. I am still in the hospital due to irregular heartbeats the first night after surgery. The cardiologist wanted to keep me here and extra 48 hours for observation. It seems surreal that I actually did this. The first night was a killer with the gas pains in the chest. Otherwise, I am in no pain right now, but then again, this is a picnic compared to a c-section and I have had several; including gall bladder surgery in the past. Incision sites are just a bit sore. I have staples because I have an allergy to the tape and no drains. Pre-op I lost 24 pounds. Excited to becoming the new me and returning to the gym when allowed.

1 hour ago, JulesUp said:

I had my surgery on July 12. Walking a lot and trying to drink fluids. I am still in the hospital due to irregular heartbeats the first night after surgery. The cardiologist wanted to keep me here and extra 48 hours for observation. It seems surreal that I actually did this. The first night was a killer with the gas pains in the chest. Otherwise, I am in no pain right now, but then again, this is a picnic compared to a c-section and I have had several; including gall bladder surgery in the past. Incision sites are just a bit sore. I have staples because I have an allergy to the tape and no drains. Pre-op I lost 24 pounds. Excited to becoming the new me and returning to the gym when allowed.

Hey Jules, I had a bit of the same problem with my heartbeat. I also had surgery on the 12th. They let me come home tonight. I am sore but I’m moving around pretty well. I had some terrible nausea from my pain meds. I was vomiting right out of surgery. That was very uncomfortable. I am still suffering with some gas pains as well. I lost right around 30 pounds pre-op so I feel we are very similar. I would love to follow your progress!

I am eating yogurts, bomb pops, cream of wheat Cereal, drinking watered down apple juice and Water. I have some bariatric pal Soups that I plan to start tomorrow. Eating is not as bad as I thought it would be. I fill up extremely fast. I’m hoping that once my swelling goes down that will get easier.

I hope you make it home soon. 😊

On 07/14/2018 at 19:57, Bellasoo said:

Hey Jules, I had a bit of the same problem with my heartbeat. I also had surgery on the 12th. They let me come home tonight. I am sore but I’m moving around pretty well. I had some terrible nausea from my pain meds. I was vomiting right out of surgery. That was very uncomfortable. I am still suffering with some gas pains as well. I lost right around 30 pounds pre-op so I feel we are very similar. I would love to follow your progress!

I am eating yogurts, bomb pops, cream of wheat Cereal, drinking watered down apple juice and Water. I have some bariatric pal Soups that I plan to start tomorrow. Eating is not as bad as I thought it would be. I fill up extremely fast. I’m hoping that once my swelling goes down that will get easier.

I hope you make it home soon. 😊

Hi Bella, I also had a bit of vomit and nausea after surgery. It was an awful feeling. I won’t be leaving g the hospital until tomorrow morning, but will need to check on the post-op diet. I am not sure I am allowed yogurt or cream of wheat; only Protein Shakes, broth, Jello, sugar free popsicles, Water, and crystal light. I bought the Unjury Protein Powder in chicken broth and unflavored to add later to apple sauce or baby food. Sounds like you are doing great. I will be following you too so we can share notes.

17 days post op and the purée stage is going well. Still doing Protein Shakes and still getting in as much Water as I can (usually around 46 oz) but I’m thinking I’ve hit a stall very early in the game. I haven’t gained or lost anything, just been stuck at 271 for about 5 days now. I welcome it if it means I get my stall out of the way and then start dropping weight, lol. The walking is definitely making me feel a lot better. The soreness in my stomach isn’t really bad anymore. The incision in my belly button is giving me a hard time healing though. Well, that’s my update, sorry it’s all over the place

34 minutes ago, ALFxRNY said:

17 days post op and the purée stage is going well. Still doing Protein Shakes and still getting in as much Water as I can (usually around 46 oz) but I’m thinking I’ve hit a stall very early in the game. I haven’t gained or lost anything, just been stuck at 271 for about 5 days now. I welcome it if it means I get my stall out of the way and then start dropping weight, lol. The walking is definitely making me feel a lot better. The soreness in my stomach isn’t really bad anymore. The incision in my belly button is giving me a hard time healing though. Well, that’s my update, sorry it’s all over the place

Im glad you arent in much pain anymore. Ill keep my fingers crossed that your stall ends and it starts melting off. Dont get discouraged, im sure it wont last long!

Finally home after three nights in the hospital due to abnormal hear beats the evening after surgery. Not taking pain medicine today. I feel great except for the soreness around the incisions. I also got staples instead of glue and steri-strips because I am allergic to the tape if it stays there a long time. No need to worry about taking shower and changing dressings with staples and no drains. The only negative is the 14 pound Water weight gain from the the IV pump. Hopefully, I will loose it in the next few days. Did anyone have a drastic water weight gain after surgery?

Now drinking my Premier Protein shake even though it takes me about 2 hours to swallow all of it. It's hard to believe that I can't consume much without it hurting so much. The only thing I am not looking forward to this evening is the Lovanox syringes to prevent blood clots. I am a bit apprehensive to do the shots myself and hubby is not crazy about the idea either. Well...off to do more walking.

On 07/15/2018 at 16:06, JulesUp said:

Finally home after three nights in the hospital due to abnormal hear beats the evening after surgery. Not taking pain medicine today. I feel great except for the soreness around the incisions. I also got staples instead of glue and steri-strips because I am allergic to the tape if it stays there a long time. No need to worry about taking shower and changing dressings with staples and no drains. The only negative is the 14 pound Water weight gain from the the IV pump. Hopefully, I will loose it in the next few days. Did anyone have a drastic Water weight gain after surgery?

Now drinking my Premier Protein shake even though it takes me about 2 hours to swallow all of it. It's hard to believe that I can't consume much without it hurting so much. The only thing I am not looking forward to this evening is the Lovanox syringes to prevent blood clots. I am a bit apprehensive to do the shots myself and hubby is not crazy about the idea either. Well...off to do more walking.

Glad you are home and feeling better. I am so squeamish about needles but I did 7 days worth of Lovenox injections (one shot every morning). The time will pass kind of quick with it even though it’s annoying. And I gained 10 lbs of water weight post op. It took me 8 days to get rid of it. It will come off with time and probably a good amount of walking. Wishing you all of the best and a speedy recovery!