Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

45 minutes ago, ALFxRNY said:

I am home! And here is my account of how things went. First night, I felt pretty good. Day 2 was ROUGH. I was in so much pain! The nurses didn’t walk me around at all. The main nurse wouldn’t give me any pain meds. I felt awful, like my belly felt like I was going to explode and I asked myself why I had done this. I kept reminding myself why but I was miserable. Then there was a shift in nurses and the new nurse seen that the previous nurse had been denying me my required every 3 hour pain meds! So she made sure that I got them and made sure the nurse after her administered them to me as well. Everything looked good so I came home today. I’m thankful for my nurses who did listen and try to help me. Hope everyone else had a better experience than I did

Thats terrible, how can she deny u meds prescribed by the doctor? I would have asked for the nursing supervisor and thrown one hell of a fit! Lol

On 06/30/2018 at 12:51, Chrisb428 said:

Thats terrible, how can she deny u meds prescribed by the doctor? I would have asked for the nursing supervisor and thrown one hell of a fit! Lol

I don’t know what her deal was but I was glad when she was no longer my nurse, she didn’t take my pain seriously

Just now, ALFxRNY said:
2 minutes ago, Chrisb428 said:

I don’t know what her deal was but I was glad when she was no longer my nurse, she didn’t take my pain seriously

What a witch... she needs a new profession!

3 hours ago, chattycat said:
10 hours ago, Diva302 said:

Postop day 17, spent 2 weeks in hospital due to complications...home sweet home down 12 pounds in 4 days!!

Oh no! What type of complications did you have, if you don’t mind me asking? Glad your home. Congrats on the weight loss!

I had a leak, at the anastomoses of esophagus and duodenum, everything I sipped or swallowed went into the abdominal cavity and I had to have a second surgery 3 days later to washout the abdomen and fix the leak, an exploratory laparotomy, and ended with 5 drains, 2 which drained abscesses and a NG tube, antibiotics for the infections... I did the research and understood DS may have great results at weight loss, but higher % of complications compared to other WLS...like the loose stools and gas..I’m still on antibiotics but feeing better each day!

On 06/30/2018 at 10:46, Diva302 said:

Oh no! What type of complications did you have, if you don’t mind me asking? Glad your home. Congrats on the weight loss!

I had a leak, at the anastomoses of esophagus and duodenum, everything I sipped or swallowed went into the abdominal cavity and I had to have a second surgery 3 days later to washout the abdomen and fix the leak, an exploratory laparotomy, and ended with 5 drains, 2 which drained abscesses and a NG tube, antibiotics for the infections... I did the research and understood DS may have great results at weight loss, but higher % of complications compared to other WLS...like the loose stools and gas..I’m still on antibiotics but feeing better each day!

Thankfully your on the mend, sounds like you had a rough few weeks, sorry you had to go through that but sounds like things are getting better so that’s good!

Hey all!!! I’m 4 days post-op! I’m so excited to have found a community to join! 🙂 So far, the most painful part has been gas!! It’s getting better each day though! Looking forward to this new journey!!!🙂

On 07/01/2018 at 01:26, awhite1825 said:

Hey all!!! I’m 4 days post-op! I’m so excited to have found a community to join! 🙂 So far, the most painful part has been gas!! It’s getting better each day though! Looking forward to this new journey!!!🙂

The gas is the absolute worst! I’ve been dealing with it better since getting home today though! Best wishes and welcome to the summer surgery 2018 family!

I am 3 (almost 4 in a couple of hours) days post op and oh brother does my tummy feel out of sorts. Not in the I’m super gassy and bloated type of way but in a “I’m walking like I’m 90 because my tummy is so heavy it feels like it wants to fall off” sort of way. I broke down and ordered a stomach binder for support. I managed the pain pretty well today. Took gas x about every 6 hours and used my ice pack if I was feeling too sore. No pain meds today. I definitely think I’m getting in enough Water but my Protein intake could use some work. How is everyone else doing so far?

Im sorry you are having so much discomfort. Hopefully the binder helps with it!

On 07/01/2018 at 23:55, Chrisb428 said:

Im sorry you are having so much discomfort. Hopefully the binder helps with it!

I sure hope so because aside from that, I feel pretty good. I mean if I turn too quickly I may feel soreness and go “oh yeah, major surgery” but other than that, I feel fine

4 days post op and very sore. Have also noticed bruising around one of my incisions and it hurts the worst. I also am walking hunched over due to the soreness

On 07/02/2018 at 00:08, BrowneyedGal said:

4 days post op and very sore. Have also noticed bruising around one of my incisions and it hurts the worst. I also am walking hunched over due to the soreness

If you have bruising or your incision feels feverish to the touch you may want to get it checked out. I’d call the surgeon’s office if I were you to ask about it. Best wishes! And I feel your pain with the hunched soreness walk

Thank you! Not feeling any heat to it but it’s concerning me. I will give them a call tomorrow. I am also struggling to get in all my liquids...

On 07/02/2018 at 00:19, BrowneyedGal said:

Thank you! Not feeling any heat to it but it’s concerning me. I will give them a call tomorrow. I am also struggling to get in all my liquids...

You’re welcome and absolutely give them a call! Better safe than sorry! I’m having a hard time writing my liquids down. They gave me a sheet to write down how many ccs of liquid I take in throughout the day but I get too distracted to keep up with it. It may be something that you can use to see if you are maybe taking in more liquids than you think. I even count my popsicles as liquids