Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week po... Dilation & IV fluids anyone?

I was sleeved 06/13. I had my 1 week post op yesterday...

For the stats fans:

5'3"

SW: 234

CW: 222

GW: 135

This last week has been utter hell! I have been in a severe amount of pain. I'm so jealous of the people who feel nothing afterward! My left incision is TIGHT and I have a huge bulge because it's so tight. It's swollen and hurts like a SOB. Especially when I go from sitting to standing. YOWZA!

But the worst part is the pain with swallowing. Ever since my first baby sip of Water on surgery day, I've had pain when I swallow. It is so much pressure and feels like a weight is sitting on my chest.

Because of that, I'm not meeting my Fluid or Protein goals. The most fluid I have had in a day was 46 oz and protein was 32... And that was on my best day.

My surgeon said she wasn't surprised I'm having issues because she thought the opening between my stomach & esophagus looked tighter/smaller than it should have been while she was in there. So that pain is because things are getting stuck.

The plan is to go back in and have my esophagus dilated, but she wants to wait 4 weeks to give me time to heal. 4 weeks of this pain and exhaustion! Meanwhile, I have a standing order for IV fluids at my local hospital for any day I don't reach my fluid goals and anytime I'm feeling exhausted or just not feeling great. Which is all the time since I'm dehydrated and not getting enough protein!

They also said I should wait to go back to work until at least a month or until after this issue has been fixed! I don't know what to tell my boss because I am not telling anyone about my surgery. Even worse... It's a brand new job! My first one after 6 years as a SAHM! I told them during my interview that I was having surgery (not what kind) and that I would need at least 2 or 3 weeks off. They said for the right person, they would make anything work and offered me the job on the spot. They said it was their first time ever hiring someone immediately, but they knew I was perfect for the job and team. That made me feel amazing!

But fast forward a month into the job when it was surgery time, they only gave me 12 days off and put me back on the schedule. I told them I wasn't sure if I could come back that early, but that I would keep them posted. They sort of agreed to that...

But a month? Now I don't know what to say! My doc provided me a note, but it says 'bariatric surgery' in the company letterhead. I can't use it... I only told 2 people about this surgery... My husband and my mom. And I am not comfortable telling anyone else.

I'm sad it didn't go as planned... frustrated that my doc didn't fix it during surgery when she clearly saw it wasn't right, exhausted, and real tired of being in pain!

Is anyone else going through this? I feel so alone!

Please do NOT comment just to say "I never had any pain or issues!" Or "I'm going back to work 5 days post-op!" Yeah... Congrats.

😏😜😂

I can't tell you how disheartening it is to read all the stories like that. I'm glad for you, truly, but super jealous it didn't go like that for me! So, please don't be salty! Lol!

I'm so sorry that you're having such difficulties. I'm sure someone here will know about dilating an esophagus.

As far as work goes, is this company large enough to have an HR department? If so, that is who you should deal with, not your boss. They are supposed to keep everything confidential (I know, no guarantees) and they could just tell your boss "complications" rather than details. Hope this helps. (hugs)

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I haven't had surgery yet, but I really feel for you. Maybe you can ask your doctors office for a different note, not on bariatric letterhead? Maybe explain your situation to one of the office girls and they can help you? Keep us updated pls. Prayers....

Thank you guys! My company is pretty small, so there isn't an HR department. But I'm thinking I will call my boss next week and tell her over the phone I experienced complications and see what the response is. If she is a good boss, she won't even ask for a doctor's note, right? She will just wish me well! Hahaha I can only hope! 😉😉

My doc office called yesterday after my apt to follow up on something, and I did ask for a generic letter. I said I didn't tell anyone about my surgery and I'd like to keep it private. I told her I knew it was a weird request, but asked for a note without digestive health and bariatric surgery on it. She said they would "look into it" but not sure if they can do that. In my mind, it's such an easy thing to do! Write a new letter. Use the hospital logo, but leave out the department info. Simple. But I guess I just have to wait and see...

And thank you for the encouragement! I should be starting mushy phase on Wednesday, but that's probably a no-go with my swallowing issue. Darn it tho! I miss chewing so much!

How are you doing Sparkles and Storm?

On 6/21/2018 at 12:06 PM, Sparkle&Storm said:

I was sleeved 06/13. I had my 1 week post op yesterday...

For the stats fans:

5'3"

CW: 222

This last week has been utter hell! I have been in a severe amount of pain. I'm so jealous of the people who feel nothing afterward! My left incision is TIGHT and I have a huge bulge because it's so tight. It's swollen and hurts like a SOB. Especially when I go from sitting to standing. YOWZA!

But the worst part is the pain with swallowing. Ever since my first baby sip of Water on surgery day, I've had pain when I swallow. It is so much pressure and feels like a weight is sitting on my chest.

Because of that, I'm not meeting my Fluid or Protein goals. The most Fluid I have had in a day was 46 oz and Protein was 32... And that was on my best day.

My surgeon said she wasn't surprised I'm having issues because she thought the opening between my stomach & esophagus looked tighter/smaller than it should have been while she was in there. So that pain is because things are getting stuck.

The plan is to go back in and have my esophagus dilated, but she wants to wait 4 weeks to give me time to heal. 4 weeks of this pain and exhaustion! Meanwhile, I have a standing order for IV fluids at my local hospital for any day I don't reach my fluid goals and anytime I'm feeling exhausted or just not feeling great. Which is all the time since I'm dehydrated and not getting enough protein!

They also said I should wait to go back to work until at least a month or until after this issue has been fixed! I don't know what to tell my boss because I am not telling anyone about my surgery. Even worse... It's a brand new job! My first one after 6 years as a SAHM! I told them during my interview that I was having surgery (not what kind) and that I would need at least 2 or 3 weeks off. They said for the right person, they would make anything work and offered me the job on the spot. They said it was their first time ever hiring someone immediately, but they knew I was perfect for the job and team. That made me feel amazing!

But fast forward a month into the job when it was surgery time, they only gave me 12 days off and put me back on the schedule. I told them I wasn't sure if I could come back that early, but that I would keep them posted. They sort of agreed to that...

But a month? Now I don't know what to say! My doc provided me a note, but it says 'bariatric surgery' in the company letterhead. I can't use it... I only told 2 people about this surgery... My husband and my mom. And I am not comfortable telling anyone else.

I'm sad it didn't go as planned... frustrated that my doc didn't fix it during surgery when she clearly saw it wasn't right, exhausted, and real tired of being in pain!

Is anyone else going through this? I feel so alone!

Please do NOT comment just to say "I never had any pain or issues!" Or "I'm going back to work 5 days post-op!" Yeah... Congrats.

😏😜😂

I can't tell you how disheartening it is to read all the stories like that. I'm glad for you, truly, but super jealous it didn't go like that for me! So, please don't be salty! Lol!

I'm so sorry! Praying everything turns around and your new journey begins.

14 hours ago, Lyngolean said:

How are you doing Sparkles and Storm?

I'm doing ok! Still struggling to get fluid/protein in, but I'm doing my best and that's all I can do! I'm supposed to go in for fluids on Monday's and Friday's, but I think once a week will do fine if I can just get my Fluid up a bit.

I was really down on myself thinking I was failing at this... No one else seems to be in pain or struggling 2 weeks in. But ya know what, that's ok! That is their journey, and this is mine! We all heal differently and our surgeons are different, our bodies our different, and our experiences are unique.

I'm down 17 lbs in 16 days!! I sure as heck can't complain about that! ☺️🙌

Where are you at in your journey?

13 hours ago, nettie1207 said:

I'm so sorry! Praying everything turns around and your new journey begins.

Thanks so much, Nettie! I know I'll get through this bumpy part and then it will be smooth sailing. So appreciate your support!

5'3"

CW: 217

I had similar complications with my sleeve in 2014. I hope your doctor continues to work with you and that your new job will be understanding. I get that you want to keep it private, but there may come a time where you might want to talk to your boss. I am hopeful that they would partner with you.

12 hours ago, Kimber628 said:

I had similar complications with my sleeve in 2014. I hope your doctor continues to work with you and that your new job will be understanding. I get that you want to keep it private, but there may come a time where you might want to talk to your boss. I am hopeful that they would partner with you.

Hi Kimber! I'm feeling better about my job situation...

I had spoken with my surgeons office about maybe getting a standard note, and one arrived in the mail yesterday! No mention of digestive health or bariatric surgery. They really are awesome for doing that for me!!

I spoke to my boss today and she was very nice and supportive. Said my health is most important, so that made me feel good. She wanted the doctor's note, of course, but that's standard fare and I was obviously prepared for that... I'm still on dilaudid and can't drive, so I sent it with my hubby after he stopped by for lunch. He took it in for me and said everyone in the office was very supportive and concerned. They told him to be sure I knew they were thinking about me and hoping I get to feeling better soon! That made me feel good 😊

So, how are things for you now? Did you have swallowing issues? How long did it take you to start feeling normal-ish again? I'd love to hear any tips or things that helped you get through the rocky start... or just more about your story! I've felt very alone as far as this experience goes, so it's nice to meet someone who also had a rocky start. Misery loves company, after all! 😉😂

Hello,
I just got my sleeve done on July 20 and I am having pain every time I swallow, even Water. I have only been getting about 30 oz of Fluid. Strangle enough the shakes are not as bad. But I am wondering how long this pain is going to last?

Edited by PositiveAction