Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another surgery?

I had a sleeve gastrectomy in July of 2012. At my heaviest I was a little over 330lbs, I got down to around 170lbs. We (me, my husband and 2 kids) moved put of state and away from all of our friends/family. I got depressed and ate everything in sight, now I weigh 233lbs and am so disgusted and disappointed with myself. I’ve been going to the gym but not like how I should. I feel like I want another surgery to get my “mojo” back and to get me back in the right mind set. Anyone else gone through something similar?

In my weight loss meetings there were people in process of doing a second surgery. Many times gastric sleeve doesn't always work for permenant weight loss. Dont beat yourself up. Things happen. Anyhow, these veterans were coming in for RNY which will guarantee unreturned weight loss. Im only 6 weeks post op and think sometimes I should have just gone with RNY instead of the sleeve because im always worried about stretching out my stomache and losing restriction.

2 hours ago, BGrundee said:

these veterans were coming in for RNY which will guarantee unreturned weight loss.

RNY is no guarantee. Plenty of people will gain weight back after RNY.

20-35% of people who get RNY fail and regain. This number is much higher for the super obese.

No surgery is guaranteed to fix your weight long term.

Changing your forever diet and forever eating habits...can.

http://bariatrictimes.com/revision-procedures-for-failed-gastric-bypass/

Edited by Creekimp13

8 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

RNY is no guarantee. Plenty of people will gain weight back after RNY.

20-35% of people who get RNY fail and regain. This number is much higher for the super obese.

No surgery is guaranteed to fix your weight long term.

Changing your forever diet and forever eating habits...can.

http://bariatrictimes.com/revision-procedures-for-failed-gastric-bypass/

Everyone will about regain about 20% of their weight back after 2 years regardless gastric sleeve or RNY... However RNY has better weight loss results and longer lasting results as the food travels shorter and doesnt stays within your body long enough. RNY is considered the mecca of weight loss procedures. It also says in your link "Most patients report 50 to 60 percent EWL within two years and then subsequent weight regain. These are the patients who seem to benefit most from a revision procedure to eliminate the weight regain"

Now for the poster, her potential end result is 189 lb per gastric sleeve calculator and this is with a 20% chance, a 50% chance is 210 after 18 months. If she has another procedure, her starting point will be at her present weight and she will be able to break into the 150's, and hopefully maintain it with some work and dedication.

I hands down agree with you that forever dieting is something we will need. Its a must. It's unavoidable for us. I also know from sitting in nutrition class with people over 325 + that weight loss surgery sometimes requires 2 surgeries.

I'm going for a revision @polican. I had my VSG October of 2012. Surgery morning weigh in was 253. I lost 98 lbs. I kept it off for the latter part of 4 years. I had my son July of 2016 and only gained about 20 lbs during the pregnancy. But then I was switched on 3 different medications for anxiety and depression. Effexor ER before pregnancy, Wellbutrin during pregnancy and then Prozac and finally Lexapro after. Sadly, the Prozac made me gain almost 70 lbs. within 10 months time. I decided it was time to get a revision with the consent of my surgeon and my primary care physician. July 25th is my surgery date. I'm currently enrolled in my 3 month program with the weight management center and my hospital.
Sometimes life challenges us and we fail but there is always light at the end of the tunnel. If you think having a revision is right for you, do it! Make sure you have the support and reach out to them when you are having a tough time. It's something I didn't do the first time around. Talk to the patients and doctors. I'm the type of person that thinks I can handle my problems on my own but that's exactly what got me to where I am today! Whatever decision you make, know that you are not alone!
Good luck!

Edited by Jodi1980

Statistically the odds are if your first surgery fails the next surgery will fail. Unless there was a legitimate medical/technique reason that the first surgery field (ie severe GERD after a sleeve)