Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss

Just now, Tealael said:

I'm aware, I've posted rigorously about it. But those were my question in reference to rountines

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 167

I'm just saying I don't see how an external product would help reduce an internally caused issue, that's all. You'd have to have done something to prevent the trigger, once that happens, that hair is going to fall out, no matter what you do at that point. External or internal.

I haven't lost much of anything, nothing that I wouldn't consider normal. The *ONLY* thing I've done really is I've been taking Biotin since well before my surgery... I've done nothing else extra or special.

You can repetitively stress the follicle out to the point where hair won't grow from it any more, no matter what you do.
Lots of manipulation, wear and tear, so while its in a fragile state best to protect it

13 minutes ago, Tealael said:

Anyone trying Jamaican black Castor oil on their temple area for added protection of follicles , hot oil treatments, co washing only, washing and manipulating less? These are things done within the AA community to mitigate the effects of traction alopecia

What is co washing?

I've been to my dermatologist to discuss this extensively, I've researched it as well, the only thing I added was llysine, made sure my minerals were on point my Iron ferritin stores were good, and prayer because at the end of the day genetically you get what you get. BUT... I don't wash and blow dry my hair every day, my hair stays up in a bun to prevent manipulation and the effects of gravity, I wear a silk scarf to bed and have satin pillow cases. I've made a very good effort to help telogen effluvium to move on ...

27 minutes ago, Tealael said:

Anyone trying Jamaican black Castor oil on their temple area for added protection of follicles , hot oil treatments, co washing only, washing and manipulating less?

8 minutes ago, Tealael said:

II don't wash and blow dry my hair every day, my hair stays up in a bun to prevent manipulation and the effects of gravity, I wear a silk scarf to bed and have satin pillow cases. I've made a very good effort to help telogen effluvium to move on ...

I have tried caster oil, hot oil treatments, no poo, co washing. I can't deal with those because my hair is straight and tends to oily already. All that just makes it oilier, and leads me to washing more often, which seems to defeat the purpose.

I definitely wash much less often. If I'm home, running normal errands, and just seeing close friends or family, I don't wash. So I can go days and days between washing, which I never used to. I have never really manipulate my hair much, usually wash and air dry. I'd only blow dry and flat Iron for important meetings, or very special occasions. Day to day I usually keep my hair up in a loose bun. I started sleeping in a silk night cap. I'm tempted to wear it all day when I work from home, but I see too many neighbors, delivery people, etc. to be able to pull that off :lol:

I have tried caster oil, hot oil treatments, no poo, co washing. I can't deal with those because my hair is straight and tends to oily already. All that just makes it oilier, and leads me to washing more often, which seems to defeat the purpose.
I definitely wash much less often. If I'm home, running normal errands, and just seeing close friends or family, I don't wash. So I can go days and days between washing, which I never used to. I have never really manipulate my hair much, usually wash and air dry. I'd only blow dry and flat Iron for important meetings, or very special occasions. Day to day I usually keep my hair up in a loose bun. I started sleeping in a silk night cap. I'm tempted to wear it all day when I work from home, but I see too many neighbors, delivery people, etc. to be able to pull that off :lol:
You've run the gauntlet

27 minutes ago, Tealael said:

You've run the gauntlet

I'm just desperate and vain! :lol:

I've been slowly losing hair for years - it's hereditary in my family for the women to have Hair loss. So I'm thinking that after the surgery, when I start losing my hair, I'll just shave my head. I did it before for St. Baldrick's Brave the Shave, and I actually really loved it. I never had to worry about how my hair looked, and I was pretty cute bald!

Edited by Someday

21 minutes ago, Someday said:

I've been slowly losing hair for years - it's hereditary in my family for the women to have Hair loss. So I'm thinking that after the surgery, when I start losing my hair, I'll just shave my head. I did it before for St. Baldrick's Brave the Shave, and I actually really loved it. I never had to worry about how my hair looked, and I was pretty cute bald!

Look at you, and I'm afraid to go short, much less bald! :D

Edited by sillykitty

37 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

Lol, long hair just slows me down!

Edited by Someday

On 07/20/2018 at 14:10, sillykitty said:

Don’t be afraid. You might end pleasantly surprised, I cried when I cut my hair but a cute short cut actually hides how thin my hair has gotten. It did a great job of making my fine thin hair look thicker, which I wasn’t expecting.

18 hours ago, Tealael said:

Anyone trying Jamaican black Castor oil on their temple area for added protection of follicles , hot oil treatments, co washing only, washing and manipulating less? These are things done within the AA community to mitigate the effects of traction alopecia

In the first few months I used an oil pack treatment, and I usually wash my hair every two or three days - Shampoo then a leave-in conditioner. My hair had been feeling dry post-op and that generally seemed to fix it, but I knew that if a shedding cycle had started then there was no real fix. My hair's long and I either wore it down or up with a wooden hairpin, which reduces any hairline-traction pull compared to barrettes or elastics. And yet...

Matt, judging from the staggering of surgeries (sillykitty's first, then mine, then yours) you may start to notice loss soon. Then again you also have MUCH shorter and lighter hair than I do, and I probably wouldn't have noticed this if I wasn't pulling long dark strands off of everything I own and getting masses of hair wrapped around my fingers in the shower. It's only because I'm aware of how much hair I'm losing that I'm examining my hairline in the mirror. Colleagues would be unlikely to notice right now, and once I cut my hair short, it should be pretty invisible. It's not like I've got scalp shining through anywhere.

Tealeal, is your hair still in braids (going by the profile pic)? If so, how often do you have it re-braided?

Edited by sideeye

In the first few months I used an oil pack treatment, and I usually wash my hair every two or three days - Shampoo then a leave-in conditioner. My hair had been feeling dry post-op and that generally seemed to fix it, but I knew that if a shedding cycle had started then there was no real fix. My hair's long and I either wore it down or up with a wooden hairpin, which reduces any hairline-traction pull compared to barrettes or elastics. And yet...

Matt, judging from the staggering of surgeries (sillykitty's first, then mine, then yours) you may start to notice loss soon. Then again you also have MUCH shorter and lighter hair than I do, and I probably wouldn't have noticed this if I wasn't pulling long dark strands off of everything I own and getting masses of hair wrapped around my fingers in the shower. It's only because I'm aware of how much hair I'm losing that I'm examining my hairline in the mirror. Colleagues would be unlikely to notice right now, and once I cut my hair short, it should be pretty invisible. It's not like I've got scalp shining through anywhere.

Tealeal, is your hair still in braids (going by the profile pic)? If so, how often do you have it re-braided?

My hair is in locs, as in dread locs, 20 years this year.