Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss

That's 3 inches?? You must have the world's thickest hair!

Yeah, if that was the risk I'd have my hair oiled up and silk sleeping cap on 24/7!
I don't oil my hair often (maybe once a month) just co wash , and use a pure silk scarf to sleep in.

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 167

On 07/21/2018 at 16:41, sillykitty said:

That's 3 inches?? You must have the world's thickest hair!

It was even thicker than that before. I’ve had some serious shedding. But yes, it was down to the middle of my back, now above my bra.

For starters, I'm 52 and have a full head of very thick hair. My last real haircut was last year in April. I got it cut very short, similar to my profile photo. I had surgery in May and again in August and just never felt like worrying about my hair. I've been letting it grow ever since and now it is down past my shoulders when it is wet and it bunches up at my collar when it is dry. (see the photos in my gallery for current photos) It is so thick that I have to "glue" it down with hair gel. The more weight I lose, the more comes out. It is not like what AshAsh shows in her photo from the shower drain, but it is steadily getting worse. I plan to get a buzz-cut before I go in for surgery. I know it is easier for men to go short or even bald, but Hair loss is hair loss. I like my hair longer. But, I hate how much I have to clean up now after showering, and you are all saying it gets worse after a few months post-op! I do not want to buy draino every week to clean out the shower drain.

I'll have the stylist/barber take before and after photos when I get it cut off. Who knows, I may even go blond again when I do it!

My hair is steadily falling out now as well. Not as bad as some others on here but it is surely thinning.

I keep reminding myself that it isn't as bad as when I went bald due to breast cancer treatments (see picture below from 2012). My melon was always cold and just had a little fuzz on it - mostly the white stuff that I DO want to fall out and not come back. I don't know how guys pull off that bald look all the time - they must have lots of hats. ;)

image.png.009eaa0c6550eab4060c0ae54120d4a7.png

Lost at least 50% of my hair and cried as it was long well shoulder length but it had taken me quite sometime to get it healthy and long at the same time. I started losing it about month 4 and as stated when it came out it really came out. You could actually see through it so I decided to go ahead and cut it off and the strangest thing happened. I have always had hair that was so straight I had to use hot rollers and a curling Iron just to get body and now my hair is super tight curls. My surgeon has no explanation nor does my hair dresser other then maybe hormones changed after surgery. I started using a product called Keranique and it did seem to start coming back in. Everyone said they could really tell a difference. I am now a year and 4 months out and it is falling out again.

I will say those products are expensive and may not work for everyone.

Lost at least 50% of my hair and cried as it was long well shoulder length but it had taken me quite sometime to get it healthy and long at the same time. I started losing it about month 4 and as stated when it came out it really came out. You could actually see through it so I decided to go ahead and cut it off and the strangest thing happened. I have always had hair that was so straight I had to use hot rollers and a curling Iron just to get body and now my hair is super tight curls. My surgeon has no explanation nor does my hair dresser other then maybe hormones changed after surgery. I started using a product called Keranique and it did seem to start coming back in. Everyone said they could really tell a difference. I am now a year and 4 months out and it is falling out again.

I will say those products are expensive and may not work for everyone.

Did you stop using keranique at any point? The main ingredient is minoxidil, which if you stop, you lose the regrowth associated with it. If so, visit a dermatologist, and buy less expensive yet same quality generic minoxidil (pharmacy brand)

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 167

Y'all make me feel so much better. I got a hair cut and was talking to the girl. We've been friends since high school, and she said that my hair was coming out a lot and was a lot thinner. I can't go short because I'm blonde with curly hair. She suggested taking prenatal Vitamins, but I already take a Multivitamin and Biotin.

Mine has been falling out like crazy for about 8 weeks. Fortunately, I started with enough hair for about 3 people, but now I'm on the not-quite-enough hair for one phase. My hubby was foolish enough to come up behind me a few days ago and comment "Wow, your hair is really getting thin!" Hope he wasn't hoping for a "cuddle" anytime soon!

3 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Mine has been falling out like crazy for about 8 weeks. Fortunately, I started with enough hair for about 3 people, but now I'm on the not-quite-enough hair for one phase. My hubby was foolish enough to come up behind me a few days ago and comment "Wow, your hair is really getting thin!" Hope he wasn't hoping for a "cuddle" anytime soon!

once again, I think we are married to the same person...lol

Yes I did stop using it, but it has been months. I only used it about 3 months at the 3 month mark after surgery, so I stopped using it at 6 months and I am actually 1 and just over 4months into the procedure so I would have thought if that is the issue it would have fallen out a ways back not almost a year later. Does that make since?

3 hours ago, Ronnysgal said:

Yes I did stop using it, but it has been months. I only used it about 3 months at the 3 month mark after surgery, so I stopped using it at 6 months and I am actually 1 and just over 4months into the procedure so I would have thought if that is the issue it would have fallen out a ways back not almost a year later. Does that make since?

Visit a dermatologist, it may have nothing to do with it , or fallout may have coincided with the end of your normal anagen cycle because although it will not prevent telogen effluvium it will delay it by elongating and promoting the growing cycle of hair -anagen, while delaying telogen phase indefinitely (as long as you use the product) BUT... I'm not a Dr. (Lol) just going by the info I received and researched. But monixidil is a long term commitment...

Edited by Tealael

I think you probably hit the hammer on the nail with too less calories. Any way that you can change that? When I was on a program last year they told me that you have to kick in days of eating whatever you want in the middle of the program so that your metabolism kicks in and your body does not go in starvation mode. you should add some higher calorie days, at least twice a week. Experiment and see if that helps.

I bought this Shampoo and conditioner that seems to be working well for me. its natural and it really leaves your hair feeling great too

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018RERQIY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1