Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel like a total failure

Hello guys, I was sleeved September 19, 2017. I lost 30 pounds in the first two months and a few more pounds after that, but when I went to the doctor I was up a pound and now I feel like I'm up more pounds. I have been avoiding the scale, because I just don't want to see my failure. Isn't the purpose of the surgery is to restrict your food intake? Don't get me wrong, I know I have to do my part, but I don't feel my sleeve is working. I can eat way more than I should be able to. I feel intense hunger and I thought the hunger gene was supposed to be all but gone. I know people that's a year or two out who say they still can only eat a few spoonfuls. What can I do? Please help me!!

15 minutes ago, I AM NOT MY SIZE said:

Hello guys, I was sleeved September 19, 2017. I lost 30 pounds in the first two months and a few more pounds after that, but when I went to the doctor I was up a pound and now I feel like I'm up more pounds. I have been avoiding the scale, because I just don't want to see my failure. Isn't the purpose of the surgery is to restrict your food intake? Don't get me wrong, I know I have to do my part, but I don't feel my sleeve is working. I can eat way more than I should be able to. I feel intense hunger and I thought the hunger gene was supposed to be all but gone. I know people that's a year or two out who say they still can only eat a few spoonfuls. What can I do? Please help me!!

There is never a guarantee that the hunger sensations will subside, nor that the hormone that triggers hunger will stop. I don't think we have the ability to turn off certain gene's, yet anyway.

Try doing a sleeve "reset". Are you still tracking your intake? Are you burning more calories than you are eating? Are you getting your Protein like you are supposed to? Are you getting your Water totals like you are supposed to? Are you exercising?

Without all of that information, everything else is just a guess. But, more than likely you aren't getting your protein totals, or water totals or exercising 60 mins a day. More than likely you are getting more calories than you are burning.

Easy way to fix this, start tracking EVERYTHING again. Find out what your BMR is (Basal Metabolic Rate), and eat less than whatever that is... and you'll lose weight again.

Bariatric Evangelist, thank you so much for your feedback. I must admit I have not been getting as much Protein in as I should. I drink plenty of Water and I exercise a few days a week. I found myself getting discouraged and started snacking a little bit but quickly stopped that. I just don't understand why my pouch can take in so much.

if you aren't tracking you need to be. it is the best way to stay accountable. Also, are you making good food choices?

You are mistaken if you think it is about restriction. restriction lessens over time as your body adapts, that is normal and expected. most people can eat a whole plate of food by a year post op. it is why food choices and diet are so important and every bariatric program recommends a bariatric diet post op.

the hormone grehlin does go away, but for most it does come back (your body is smart and adjusts). if you are experiencing hunger pangs (particularly if it is happening when it shouldn't) there is a possibility it is actually stomach acid and you need to get on a PPI like prevacid. you should talk to your doctor about it.

I strongly recommend looking up dr Matthew weiners videos on youtube. he does a very good job explaining in laymans terms why and how bariatric surgery works.

44 minutes ago, I AM NOT MY SIZE said:

I can eat way more than I should be able to.

What are you eating? If you are not eating dense Protein first at your meals your feeling of restriction will be less. This may be causing you to believe the sleeve is failing.

3 minutes ago, I AM NOT MY SIZE said:

Bariatric Evangelist, thank you so much for your feedback. I must admit I have not been getting as much Protein in as I should. I drink plenty of Water and I exercise a few days a week. I found myself getting discouraged and started snacking a little bit but quickly stopped that. I just don't understand why my pouch can take in so much.

So, use this time to get back on track. Start tracking everything you eat and drink. Make sure you are getting that 80ish grams of Protein a day and upwards of 128+oz of Water.< br />
Get back to doing targeted exercise, at least 60 mins a day.

Snacking is perfectly fine, as long as you are doing it smartly!

Are you separating your drinking from your eating by at least 30 mins? Drinking too soon before or after eating will cause food to slide through your sleeve and not stick around.

Time to get back up, dust yourself off and do what needs to be done.

You got this!

Travelher, you have given me a lot to think about. Everything you said was well received. Thank you. I have some serious work to do.

Matt Z, sorry for the incorrect name on my first reply to you. I can definitely see some things I have been doing wrong. I am going to start doing my part to help my sleeve work as it should. It hasn't gotten out of hand yet, so I am even more determined to get back on track before it does. Thank you, kind sir, for your encouraging words!!

Would be awesome if the sleeve did all the work...but it doesn't.

I know for a fact that I could easily eat my way to gaining weight again if I started eating refined carbs. Sugar and refined carbs go down so easy it's scary...and they're tasty...and they're the reason most of us have ended up in this mess. The sleeve cannot save us from Cookies and chips and ice cream and white bread.

We have to save ourselves.

Start putting together a forever diet you can live with. If you eat carbs, make sure they're low glycemic carbs like Beans and whole grains...stuff that doesn't cause rebound hunger. Avoid sugar like the plague. Never eat over 75 calories worth of junky stuff in one day.

Eat lean meats, veggies and fruit. Eat quality carbs with Fiber and Protein and a slow metabolic burn.

Change that diet. It's hard...but it's the only way it works.

Also, stay active. I think of exercise as an insurance policy against my screw ups. LOL. I know myself...and I know I have little screw ups. If i'm destroying 400 extra calories a day being active...I have more wiggle room.

You an do this. Get back on the horse. Also...get back on the scale. Not obsessively....but once every week or two you should know where you're at so you can make necessary adjustments. Knowledge is power.