Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saxenda/Victoza and Medicare Part D coverage?

Do any of the Medicare Part D plans cover GLP-1 medications for weight loss?

These meds are terribly expensive. Outrageous. What are folks who have Part D coverage co-paying for these meds?

I've been told Victoza is cheaper, but less effective due to being a lower dosage.

Do any of the Medicare Part D plans cover GLP-1 medications for weight loss?
These meds are terribly expensive. Outrageous. What are folks who have Part D coverage co-paying for these meds?
I've been told Victoza is cheaper, but less effective due to being a lower dosage.

I was on them last year..they are outrageously expensive I was lucky enough to have a doctor that gave me samples so I wouldn't have to pay for it. But Saxenda and Victoza are exactly the same drug just different brands. There is no difference in the one being lower than the other. When I went to the pharmacy though Victoza was cheaper than Saxenda.

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app

Victoza and Saxenda are trade names for the generic drug liraglutide. The upper dose for Victoza, marketed for diabetes, is 1.8 mg/day. The upper dose for Saxenda, marketed for weight loss, is 3.6 mg day. All this means is that it is recommended that you take twice as much of the drug for weight loss as you would take for diabetes management. All these -- Victoza, Saxenda, and liraglutide -- are interchangeable.

And yes, the drug is outrageously expensive, whatever the dosage. Where I am, it isn't covered in any circumstances. So I'm not on it.

Beware of free samples from a doctor, btw. If the drug works for you, you will need to be on it for life, and you are not going to get free samples for life. So unless you're willing to shell out the $$$ once your supply of free samples runs out, be prepared to regain the lost weight.

I just reread what Lyndi wrote. If you're headed for surgery, you won't have to be on the drug for life. In that case, no need for my warning about free samples. :)

Does it work?

For some people. Not all. No way of knowing without trying it.

I have a diabetic friend who had her band removed... she lost her appetite after starting on similar meds and is losing weight.

I recently received samples of Victoza. Had Gastric sleeve 3/2017. Did drop 50 lbs but have been steady up and down since. The Victoza has caused me to eat 30 % less at meals. The fullness appears quicker than without Victoza. I may not be full but feel full. Weight slowly starting to drop again. Called my Medicare D provider and asked them what is the monthly cost for Victoza. A 3 Pen unit is about $115. High but he told me that it adds $2400 to the "donut hole" annual cost.

Thanks... that is pricey!

Contrave is another cheaper option to try and come in tablet form. It's more successful long term than Victoza. I did well in victoza for the first 5 months I was using it and then plateaued needed to switch to saxenda but couldn't afford it.

Sent from my SM-G9650 using BariatricPal mobile app

Same here. I was sleeve 3 years ago and I’m 20 pounds short from target weight. Doctor put me on victoza but the side effects are Awful and it is just too expensive. Now I take Contrave and this is my first week and today I felt really in control. It’s good so far.