Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greetings!

This is probably a very silly question, but would it be appropriate to practice a Keto diet once past the 2 or 3 month post surgery? My nut and advice from the surgery center recommend limiting carbs, and of course, getting at least 60 grams of Protein each day. If that is the case, wouldn’t the Keto diet be the natural path forward?

Any thoughts, opinions, research, etc. are appreciated!

5 minutes ago, Gundy said:

Greetings!

This is probably a very silly question, but would it be appropriate to practice a Keto diet once past the 2 or 3 month post surgery? My nut and advice from the surgery center recommend limiting carbs, and of course, getting at least 60 grams of Protein each day. If that is the case, wouldn’t the Keto diet be the natural path forward?

Any thoughts, opinions, research, etc. are appreciated!

I won't have surgery until July 2nd, but this is my plan after I'm healed. I followed a lot of people who have had weight loss surgery and they follow keto. It seems to help. Just maybe don't go crazy on the high fats it could make you sick.

MissLindseyR...agreed on avoid high fats since they can upset the tummy.

High fat is Keto. Keto is 60-75% fat, 15-30% Protein and 10--15% carbs. Otherwise w/o the high fat it is just a low carb diet. You will have to figure out what works for you and especially what works long term.

That's it.

And that varies by so many factors - how long you have been obese, how resistant your body is, how much sustainable exercise you do, your age, time, and on and on. Staying on super strict plans may work for some people, or strict with occasional treats, or some with mainly protein, all vegetables, and one complex carb a day. This is the journey - figuring that out, so don't get bogged down by trying to decide all that ahead of time. Follow your surgeon's/NUT's plan and take it one step at a time.

Many people do follow Keto long term and are happy.

I'm not one of them. My preferred diet is a diet rich in fruits, veggies, legumes, seeds, nuts and whole grains with at least half of my Protein coming from plant sources.

Lot of different paths up the mountain. Know the benefits and risks of whatever plan you choose. Best wishes.

There are a lot of Facebook groups out there dedicated to Keto after bariatric surgery. I've done Keto before as a regular avenue for weight loss and it does work, but like anything else it requires strict adherence. Due to it's focus on high fat, you can't "cheat" and add in a few carbs because that just makes it the standard american diet and likely the diet that put so many of us here in the first place.

I haven't dug into how people do Keto after surgery, but with the need for Protein to be so high it doesn't make sense to me that Keto would work. Bariatric focus is supposed to be High Protein, Low Carb and that is different than High Fat, Moderate Protein (Keto).

I get a ton of my Protein from carbs:)

Whole wheat english muffin = 5g protein

Baked potato = 5g protein

Serving of Protien Pasta = 11g protein

Veggie burger patty = 10g protein

1 cup canned mushrooms = 3g protein

One slice health nut bread = 4g protein

Flapjacked Mighty muffin = 20g protein

200 calories raw oats = 11g protein

200 calories brown rice = 5g protein

200 calories split peas = 14g protein

High protien bariatric diet does not have to be low carb:)

You do want to avoid refined sugars, and high glycemic index carbs...but low glycemic whole grains and legumes are wonderful healthy foods.

At least Half of my daily 60+ grams of protein come from plant/carb sources:)

Edited by Creekimp13