Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why 300 calories?

I’m told by my nutritionist that I should have all of my Protein within 200-400 calories per day in these first two weeks post-op. Except it’s been a week and a half and I’ve lost 21 pounds, and I feel very weak most of the time (I needed to lose 75 more to get to my goal weight - now 54 lbs). When I google, all I get are diets explaining THAT post-op folks should limit their calories to approx. 300 calories, but not WHY. Any insight?

All the plans are very different. At this point, my doc doesn't monitor calories at all, just Protein and Fluid intake. How are you doing on those?

16 minutes ago, Miss Ivory said:

I’m told by my nutritionist that I should have all of my Protein within 200-400 calories per day in these first two weeks post-op. Except it’s been a week and a half and I’ve lost 21 pounds, and I feel very weak most of the time (I needed to lose 75 more to get to my goal weight - now 54 lbs). When I google, all I get are diets explaining THAT post-op folks should limit their calories to approx. 300 calories, but not WHY. Any insight?

If you are weak, you really should talk to your Nutritionist. They **MIGHT** have meant to keep your calorie intake from Proteins to the 2-400 calorie mark and not ALL of your intake should be under that... might be worth asking or at least letting them know that you are hitting what they said, but you have been very weak.

3 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

All the plans are very different. At this point, my doc doesn't monitor calories at all, just Protein and Fluid intake. How are you doing on those?

Same, We were told to focus on Protein, Water, and the "5/5" grams Added Sugars / Fats per serving "limit".

Thanks for the perspective; it’s good to know that others have different experiences and plans. I’ve emailed my nutritionist and hope to hear back soon.

I’m hitting my Protein mark daily and am doing exceptionally well with my Water intake. I average 80 - 100 oz daily. I kinda had to hit the water hard immediately post op as I had an alarming reaction to the pain meds I was sent home with. One way to help it go away was to put as much water in my body as I could.

Edited by Miss Ivory

My surgeon said calories should be between 500-800 for the first month, Protein 60-80 grams. The doc should be able to clarify for you, based on your specific needs.

Edited by RapidFirePickle

Same as above. My instructions are 80 grams Protein for men, and that is just 320 calories. They want a 50/50 split of calories from carbs and fat for the rest of the 480 calories.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

Follow-up meetings.....
Surgeon doesn't care what I eat, says I am doing g good and to keep at it, just get my Protein in and not worry about my next to zero carb intake (eating lean meats with fat and little carbs)

Nutritionist on other hand nearly gave birth to a cow when she saw my diary of not getting much carbs. Oh well.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app