Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks post op, gained 1 pound..

About a week ago, I was cleared to start creamed Soups. I made a sweet potato Soup that lasted awhile, a taco soup (took the edge off from cravings), my fiance and I went out to eat for our anniversary and I tried a lobster bisque, and I tried a clam chowder. Now when I eat I don't get full fast like the previous week and I'm SO nervous about failing. I also gained 1.7 pounds... I'm about ready to just do broth again. Obviously I'm doing this wrong, but what kind of creamed soups should I even eat? I don't want my body to reject seafood later on in life so I'm trying to introduce it early :( HELPPP

Sent from my SM-J327T using BariatricPal mobile app

2 minutes ago, jleander said:

About a week ago, I was cleared to start creamed Soups. I made a sweet potato Soup that lasted awhile, a taco Soup (took the edge off from cravings), my fiance and I went out to eat for our anniversary and I tried a lobster bisque, and I tried a clam chowder. Now when I eat I don't get full fast like the previous week and I'm SO nervous about failing. I also gained 1.7 pounds... I'm about ready to just do broth again. Obviously I'm doing this wrong, but what kind of creamed Soups should I even eat? I don't want my body to reject seafood later on in life so I'm trying to introduce it early :( HELPPP

Which Surgery?
Those soups all sound crazy full of things you might not want to be eating... lots of hidden sugars, carbs, etc in those soups.

That said, you are only 2 weeks post op, you aren't even fully healed yet.

You can introduce seafood when you are cleared for solid foods, you really need to stay away from the cream based soups, they are crazy high in calories typically.

Go back to your PCP/Surgical Team/Nutritionist and make sure you are on the same page, that you are following the instructions you should have been given, etc. You really want to follow those instructions to the letter for awhile.

Which Surgery?
Those Soups all sound crazy full of things you might not want to be eating... lots of hidden sugars, carbs, etc in those soups.

That said, you are only 2 weeks post op, you aren't even fully healed yet.

You can introduce seafood when you are cleared for solid foods, you really need to stay away from the cream based soups, they are crazy high in calories typically.

Go back to your PCP/Surgical Team/Nutritionist and make sure you are on the same page, that you are following the instructions you should have been given, etc. You really want to follow those instructions to the letter for awhile.
The sleeve [emoji85] I've looked back on my paperwork and it just gives me a list of what I can have, nothing about what kind of creamed soups I should try :(

Just now, jleander said:

The sleeve I've looked back on my paperwork and it just gives me a list of what I can have, nothing about what kind of creamed Soups I should try :(

You really shouldn't be doing creamed soups typically at all. They are generally very high in calories, carbs, fats, and sugars. You should stick to the list of foods they say you can have, and not venture out into other areas until you are cleared for them. Talk to your nutritionist about your diet and have them tell you want you need to be doing.

Firstly, weight gain within the first 2 weeks isn't unheard of.... but lots of sleeve folks are on liquids only for the first month, I get that every doctor is going to be different, but you are also supposed to be on a restricted calorie intake, you should be tracking your Proteins, Water, etc. Give them a call and ask them how they feel about cream based soups.

Are you tracking your Protein intake? How much protein are you getting?

Are you tracking your water intake? How much water are you getting a day?

Are you exercising? How much exercise are you getting each day?

You really shouldn't be doing creamed Soups typically at all. They are generally very high in calories, carbs, fats, and sugars. You should stick to the list of foods they say you can have, and not venture out into other areas until you are cleared for them. Talk to your nutritionist about your diet and have them tell you want you need to be doing.

Firstly, weight gain within the first 2 weeks isn't unheard of.... but lots of sleeve folks are on liquids only for the first month, I get that every doctor is going to be different, but you are also supposed to be on a restricted calorie intake, you should be tracking your Proteins, Water, etc. Give them a call and ask them how they feel about cream based soups.

Are you tracking your Protein intake? How much Protein are you getting?
Are you tracking your Water intake? How much water are you getting a day?
Are you exercising? How much exercise are you getting each day?
I am doing 60gs or protein daily and walking for 30 mins. I've been reading alot of forums about the sleeve and I've seen alot of people don't do the creamed soups for that reason, but I'm confused because of what my surgeon gave me? I attached a pic of what stage 2 looks like in the book she gave me1529328432634.jpeg

1 minute ago, jleander said:

I am doing 60gs or Protein daily and walking for 30 mins. I've been reading alot of forums about the sleeve and I've seen alot of people don't do the creamed Soups for that reason, but I'm confused because of what my surgeon gave me? I attached a pic of what stage 2 looks like in the book she gave me1529328432634.jpeg

My first question is, did your surgical team approve you for stage 2 foods? Or was this a timeline situation "X amount of days post-op you move to stage 2"?

I would avoid the creamed soups for a while, and they do say "Strained" meaning, you don't get to eat all the chunks. Did you strain the soups when you went out?

I'd go back to following this to the letter... for the most part, I'd avoid the cream based soups and stick with straining other types of Soup, this is pretty much going back to just drinking broth, because straining takes out all the food product so you'd be left only with Fluid.< br />
Overall you **REALLY** want to stick to the guidelines and not jump the gun on anything. When in doubt, call your Surgical team, that's what they are their for!

My first question is, did your surgical team approve you for stage 2 foods? Or was this a timeline situation "X amount of days post-op you move to stage 2"?

I would avoid the creamed Soups for a while, and they do say "Strained" meaning, you don't get to eat all the chunks. Did you strain the soups when you went out?

I'd go back to following this to the letter... for the most part, I'd avoid the cream based soups and stick with straining other types of Soup, this is pretty much going back to just drinking broth, because straining takes out all the food product so you'd be left only with Fluid.

Overall you **REALLY** want to stick to the guidelines and not jump the gun on anything. When in doubt, call your Surgical team, that's what they are their for!
Yes I was cleared for stage 2 a week after my surgery. I'll just stick to yogurts, f**k the creamed soups, they aren't helping. Lol thank you for your advice!!!

1 minute ago, jleander said:

Yes I was cleared for stage 2 a week after my surgery. I'll just stick to yogurts, f**k the creamed Soups, they aren't helping. Lol thank you for your advice!!!

Good luck! It's a crazy path to walk with all the information differences from 1 surgeon to another! Focus on the high levels of Protein and Water, and those exercises and everything should work out for you!

Yes, it can mean a method of blending and pureeing a Soup. It does not necessarily mean they want us eating cream based soup such as bisque, chowders, etc which are always much higher in calories and fat.

Yes, it can mean a method of blending and pureeing a Soup. It does not necessarily mean they want us eating cream based Soup such as bisque, chowders, etc which are always much higher in calories and fat.
Ohhhh so you mean like... taking a soup ex chicken and vegetable and blending it?

You need to strain all chunks out of it. I did eat small amounts of cream of chicken Soup and regular Tomato Soup at first. It was nice to have something that wasn’t sweet to eat.

I have a nutri ninja blender that will purée just about anything.