Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was suprised with sleeve surgery a week ago.

On the weekend of June 9th I had some serious back pain, By monday it had spread around my ribs. Tuesday morning the pain was so bad (8/10) that I had my brother take me to the ER. I got an ambulance ride to the nearest major hospital. I had air in my diaphram and they didn't know where it was coming from, so they did an exploratory surgery and found a hole in my stomach from an ulcer. So they did a gastic sleeve so he could cut out the diseased part. I woke up missing oart of my stomach with a HUGE AND TERRIFYING list of rules. I cried. A lot. I wasn't sure I could live this way. So I'm looking for support, product recommendations, pep talks and knowing that life will go on.

I didn't need to lose weight and the doctor took as litlle as he could, so I don't know how this changes things for me, but I just needed people who get what this is like.

I am sorry to hear that you went through something so traumatic; it is a lot to take in even when you are having it done voluntarily.

Because you don't need to lose weight, you will need to be more conscious of getting enough calories than those of use who are needing weight loss. I am thinking for you that once you get past the healing portion of the process, it will be a matter of feeling things out and breaking your meals into somewhat smaller and more frequent portions. It IS possible to stretch a gastric sleeve; it is something sleeve patients are cautioned not to do as it will cause regain. I think in the long run you will be okay.

I will let the sleeve patients answer; I am a bypass patient and I have somewhat different rules.

@mmckimmey What a horrible experience and I am so sorry for the trauma you went through. My advice would be for you to make an appointment with a nutritionist asap because your case is very different to us who have the VSG for weight loss. Your case is special and you need to know specifically how to get in the nutrition you need so that you wont be losing weight but maintaining and gaining even.

There are some basics that may apply in that your stiches need to heal and seal. So staying on liquid only for a certain amount of days is important to allow t

Make sure you get some Nexium capsules and open the capsule, open it out as far back into your throat as you can and drink down the little balls. Its important you take one of those for 3 weeks following VSG so as to keep the acid in your stomach controlled.

Buy yourself a LOT of dissolvable or LIQUID Multivitamins. I buy those EmergenC packets and put them in my Water daily. This website sells bariatric products so you can browse through buying some vitamin patches which are really easy to use. Make sure you get your Calcium, Iron, Vitamin B's and Biotin in addition.

The nutritionist will advise you more on your case but you will need to buy some good Protein Powder because you will need a lot of Protein added to your diet since you will not be eating regular portion sizes of food for a while. I personally like to buy the no flavour protein powder rather than the sweet or flavoured protein powder because you can add the unflavoured powder to everything - to water, your drink, your Soup, your food, whatever and that allows you to meet your protein targets without being limited. I buy a kind called genpro next generation protein because it has the highest content of protein per scoop (30 grams) which means I use less powder. However its very expensive.

You will make it! You have come this far and life with a VSG is very doable. Just make sure you make that appointment with a nutritionist for your special case since it is not for weight loss

you really really need to find out how much he took. Right now you are healing and you need to follow that liquid diet.

Once you are fully healed what happens next will depend on how much was cut out. do you have a sleeve - 2 fingers wide 4 fingers long or do you just have a smaller stomach. This is very important it will determine how you approach the next 12-18 months with your eating plan.

so for now follow that liquid diet and let those stitches heal - during this time find out just how much was taken and if you have a sleeve get in touch with someone who works with sleeve patients and work out a plan.

I am sorry this has been dropped on you with no notice but you can survive even if it turns out to be a full sleeve.

the next year will be interesting but it will get easier the further out you get.

good luck

Wow so sorry for your troubles, after the initial recovery phase you will probably need to visit a gastro doc and nutritionist at the very least to set up a plan for your specific needs especially to prevent weight loss and further damage. But I believe that repairing ulcered/cancered stomachs was the original use of this surgery (before weight loss) since the early 1800s and has worked well long term if that is any consolation. Safe journey!

Edited by Tealael

10 hours ago, Tealael said:

repairing cancered stomachs was the original use of this surgery (before weight loss)

@mmckimmey

@Tealael speaks the truth!!

Ding, ding, dong - @Tealael wins the blue ribbon:)

the sleeve was initially designed for ulcer/stomach cancer.

it worked very well. doctors noted that OP were loosing weight.

Thus. the "invention" of the sleeve for WLS - sorry you had the WLS

surprise. hopefully your rib,back pain have been alleviated.

good luck

kathy

I'm still around and I thought I should update. The two weeks of liquids was almost the end of me. I had some serious depression, but the closer I got to mushy foods, the better I felt. My plan calls for mushy foods from 2 weeks to 3 months. Getting to eat actual food really boosted me, even if it's only a few bites. So far everything has agreed with me!

Everything is healing really well, and I got a PPI because I have major heartburn. SInce the reason for my surgery was a perforated ulcer, I figured an acid reducer was a great idea.

I've lost 16 lbs, which I'm calling a bonus, since I wasn't expecting this. If anyone is having any trouble, I'm more than willing to talk about it, it's very hard.

What a shock that must have been! You may want to go to a support group for Bariatric surgery and go see a bariatric surgeon too. They might be able to advise you through this because they deal with this surgery day in and day out. We do a lot of preparation and meet with nutritionists. It might be helpful.
I do think you probably could stretch out the stomach eventually.

And if not they would be at least help you find peace with the unexpected gastric remodeling.

I'm so sorry you had such a terrible experience, but I am glad that healing is going well for you! I do agree with madscientistmommy and Frustr8 though. You should try to find a surgeon near you. They'll be able to better help you with your nutrition needs and, as Frustr8 said, help you find peace with what's been done.

My surgeon that was on call in the hospital happened to be a bariatric surgeon. They also referred me to their NUT. The problem is 95% of the surgery is for weight loss so they told me they weren't sure how to advise me other than to follow they guidelines for weight loss. My doctor said he's only done a handful of surgeries for other than weight loss, none in the past few years! I'm just happy to be eating again and to have found this forum. It's really been a lifesaver for me. I'm grateful to be eating mushy food.

i am glad to see you made it thru the first stage. that is hard on everyone even if you plan for it.

now as you add new foods it gets easier with each passing month. Acid reflux is a real issue with the sleeve so you may be taking that med for life.

good luck and stay positive