Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alright ladies and gents,

I apologize in advance because I feel like I only get on here to bitch and complain. But I genuinely love the support and help you all give. With that being said, I feel like I’m not getting enough in. I was sleeved on June 6th. I still try to drink my Protein Shakes but I’ve had about enough of those so I’m trying to eat what I’m supposed to. And so far that has been eggs, cottage cheese and Peanut Butter. Eggs make my belly hurt and he cottage cheese did the same thing. So for today all I have had was 2 bites of egg and 2 spoons of peanut butter. And it also seems like my pallet has changed too because the peanut butter I used to love I can’t seem to stomach anymore. I just feel like I’m not getting enough Protein in because I’m trying to take a break from the shakes cause they Are so unappealing to me now. Any opinions or experiencing the same type of thing?

Try a thin Soup like Tomato or strained chicken & veggies. After it's heated, add 1/2 scoop of unflavored Protein Powder. That might help. Don't add the Protein powder before you heat the soup; it will get all clumpy. Hope that helps.

Its so interesting to see what different programs tell you what you can have. My program told me I absolutely cannot have Peanut Butter after surgery for at least a couple of months. I feel like it is all becoming so arbitrary. I take as much Protein in as I can.

I absolutely rely on Premier Protein Clear Water. It is expensive but I drink two to three a day and that is 60 grams of protein right there.

Many people struggle with eggs. Some with cottage cheese.

Here on the bariatric pal site, there are Protein Soups. They were all I ate for a while, and were great.

Protein powders - well generally I detest the taste. But they ARE good and easy, so I played around until I found a recipe I could atomach - now I have it every day for Breakfast. Give it a whirl but if you don’t like it, try out several. This was probably the 30th recipe I tried!! Here is is:

One Nespresso shot of coffee (chilled)

20ml milk

30g vanilla protein powder (the least sweet one I could find)

7 ice cubes

Blitz in bullet thingy and drink.

Try recipes - there are loads on the web. You’ll find one or a bunch you like...

I did not do well with eggs until I was a couple of months out. I did well with oatmeal or cream of wheat with an extra scoop of Protein in them.

You'e less than two weeks out, don't stress too much!

What about greek yogurt? Greek yogurt in sf Jello?

Can you drink Fairlife milk on your program? It has a good amount of Protein.

Seems like you are in the mushy food stage, how about the famous ricotta bake? That's easy to add protein to (I used egg white protein powder, it's very flavor neutral, but doesn't mix well into things like soups.)

1 hour ago, Biddy zz said:

Here on the bariatric pal site, there are Protein Soups. They were all I ate for a while, and were great.

Agree, I still eat these often to boost my protein intake.

Don't stress too much. Make sure you get in your Water.

Keep trying different things until you find something that works.

It gets easier, I promise.

Greek yogurt kinda helped me with some Protein powder. The cinnamon roll shake (super expensive but worth it to me) on bariatricpal was a lifesaver when all the other shakes repulse me with fairlife milk its like 40 grams. I made my own Soups, my own Bone Broth which has 10 grams per cup for my base of soups, Amazon sells powdered chicken bone broth which I've seen people mix into potatoes, etc. I struggled with protein until a few weeks ago and I still use a shake or powder or BOTH. My nutritionist said fluids come first then protein, so that's what I do.

I did a lot of smooth Soups with my Vitamix and added unflavored Protein powder, if there wasn't a lot in it to begin with. I had Greek yogurt or kefir. I also ate refried Beans and sprinkled cheese. You could try eggs different ways, because sometimes its about how you cook them. I did tuna w/mayo in my purred stage and chewed really well. I also had mashed potatoes with low sodium gravy and added unflavored protein powder. I sipped on Bone Broth for something savory. I drank FairLife Milk with Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup. You can always do the PB2 powder, instead of actual Peanut Butter. I put PB2 powder in my shakes and it is pretty yummy without the texture or heaviness on my pouch.

For sure! I'm not excited to drink 2 Protein Shakes a day, but I do it, because I know that I need to get so much Protein in. What I did was add clear Proteins that have more of a juice flavor, and that helped. I still like the regular premiere proteins better though, because you get so much protein in each one.

Where do you guys get the unflavored Protein powder?

4 hours ago, BrookeR said:

Where do you guys get the unflavored Protein Powder?

You can get it almost anywhere, at GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, or from the store through this website. However, I usually order mine through Amazon. Steer clear of GENEPRO though.

5 hours ago, AshAsh1 said:

You can get it almost anywhere, at GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, or from the store through this website. However, I usually order mine through Amazon. Steer clear of GENEPRO though.

Why don't you like GENEPRO? I hear people love it and now I'm hearing people hating it. I use it, I like it but I use it now because I spent a A LOT of money on it. I like it better than any other ones. If anyone can suggest a powder that's unflavored that you can use in hot stuff I'm listening.

I use Cabot whey powder, I trust the company, (the plant is seriously 2 miles from me) and the product is good. It gets weird (as most do) if the food is hot but it's "unflavored" they all have some taste. I think it's ok in shakes, yogurts, pudding, milky stuff.

I feel you. I hate the Protein Shakes and cut them down soon too. I still have one in the morning with a little bit puréed banana and some spinach leaves plus Peanut Butter powder. Equals 16 gram of Protein. The rest of the day I eat scrambled eggs, mozzarella cheese (fresh), ricotta bake, Greek yogurt etc. I am 6 weeks out and still can eat only very little and therefore I don’t meet my 60-80 G protein goal, but my surgeon said that it will come.

58 minutes ago, magpie26 said:

Why don't you like GENEPRO? I hear people love it and now I'm hearing people hating it. I use it, I like it but I use it now because I spent a A LOT of money on it. I like it better than any other ones. If anyone can suggest a powder that's unflavored that you can use in hot stuff I'm listening.

I use Cabot whey powder, I trust the company, (the plant is seriously 2 miles from me) and the product is good. It gets weird (as most do) if the food is hot but it's "unflavored" they all have some taste. I think it's ok in shakes, yogurts, pudding, milky stuff.

I was just like you and actually used it in my first couple months post op (because I had already paid for it), but there has been a lot of reports out there that they are being sued due to their labeling. Their Protein measurements are from a clinical trial, its not anything that has been tested and studied outside their company. Anyway, I'm not spending that ridiculous amount on something that I don't know for a fact that I'm getting "medical grade protein". From what I've read, it seems sketchy. @Matt Z could probably provide more info.

I would recommend Isopure for unflavored powder.