Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 12/02/2018 at 11:01, nibble said:

Congratulations to you on reaching Onederland. I was just happy to reach Twonderland. Never expected to be able to say I'm down 75# since consult, or 57# since surgery July 17. After a depressing 2 month adjustment phase (aka "stall") I've lost one pound per day this week. Don't understand this but guess I don't have to understand it, just go with it! And yes, continuing Hair loss. Added Lysine to my meds, along with the Biotin I've taken for 12 months. How about the rest of our July Sleevers?

congrats everyone!! i’m down 86 since HW and 56 since surgery, slowing down but i need to start working out and i know it’ll continue. losing hair like crazy, but on Biotin. having a teeny bit of difficulty making food choices (now that i can tolerate stuff i’m trying more. had 1/4 of a philly cheese steak this weekend on a trip and felt like i wanted to puke the rest of the night so lesson learned but honestly shouldn’t have done it in the first place).

Can you buy lysine at the pharmacy or do you have to get online somewhere?

I ordered Lysine through Amazon, after clearing its addition to my meds with my PA. I also did some research on the most reputable pharmaceutical brands (ethical, purity, accuracy, fair priced, ingredients not made in China) that are also available through Amazon: Thorne Research, Pure Encapsulations, Douglas Laboratories, ProThera -- I'm sure there are others... ultimately I bought Thorne L-lysine capsules. Here is a link to just one of several articles on all this https://www.stopandregrow.com/my-top-5-vitamins-for-healthy-hair-growth and another article I just read https://www.drdkim.net/ask-the-dietitian/understanding-hair-loss-after-bariatric-surgery/ indicating Hair loss may last for 6 months - O NO! - didn't hear that before. We all need to be careful not to overdose on these things in thinking "more is better" - there are toxicity levels to be mindful of.

2 minutes ago, nibble said:

I ordered Lysine through Amazon, after clearing its addition to my meds with my PA. I also did some research on the most reputable pharmaceutical brands (ethical, purity, accuracy, fair priced, ingredients not made in China) that are also available through Amazon: Thorne Research, Pure Encapsulations, Douglas Laboratories, ProThera -- I'm sure there are others... ultimately I bought Thorne L-lysine capsules. Here is a link to just one of several articles on all this https://www.stopandregrow.com/my-top-5-vitamins-for-healthy-hair-growth and another article I just read https://www.drdkim.net/ask-the-dietitian/understanding-hair-loss-after-bariatric-surgery/ indicating Hair loss may last for 6 months - O NO! - didn't hear that before. We all need to be careful not to overdose on these things in thinking "more is better" - there are toxicity levels to be mindful of.

Thank you. I will do my due diligence and will speak with my team before ordering.

I guess I've hit a bit of a "stall". For the last two weeks or so I've been up and down between 251lbs to 256lbs. I have been adding just a bit more carbs but trying to stick to around 800-900 calories. I was getting in over 100g of Protein daily so I thought I would adjust to lower protein and add more carbs. I do find I am hungry more often and wonder if it's due to the carbs? I think I'll re-adjust and pull back a bit and just get more protein in.

I spent a few hours in the ER Friday night but not due to surgery. I had something called Pleuritis or Pleurisy . I had never heard about it before but it's an inflammation of the surface of the lung tissue. Thought I was having a heart attack because it was severe chest pain and traveled to my left shoulder and down my arm. I have pain meds and anti-biotics because my white blood count was high.

hair is falling out like crazy just like most others. I do have long hair but I guess as a dude it wouldn't be so bad if I had to buzz it off. Would have to go bald though as there seems to be bald spots right now so just a buzz would look crazy but funny. Maybe I'll do it just to embarass the kids. HaHa. I've been wanting to add amino acid powder to my daily shakes and I did notice they one I've looking at has L-Lysine. It says 5g though and when I compared it to the "Thorne l-Lysine" @nibble posted it's quite a bit more. Recommended use is 2-3 pills a day @ 500mg per pill (or 1000-1500mg) and the 5g in the powder translates to 5000mg per serving. Is that too much? Or with our absorption rate would it be lower anyway? I havn't used anything yet anyway so hopefully getting something will help. December 12th will be 5 months and I'm at a loss of about 90lbs since surgery.

Edited by J San

On 10/10/2018 at 3:59 PM, Tracy1978 said:

Same here! July 20th and I too am down about 50 pounds.

Slow and steady wins the race! Congrats!

I have been at a stall also for the last 3 weeks so far and a slow loser only 45 but better than before. Holy Hair loss, i can't deal anymore very depressed over it. I purchased the l-lysine pills and they are like horse pill even when i cut them in half. I just started collagen peptides in my coffee in the morning nutritionist suggested for hair loss. I can't take Biotin since I have take synthroid. All I want for christmas is for my hair to stop falling out 🤣[emoji6].

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was sleeved on 7/31 and it seems I am currently in a stall at 197. When I went for my 3 month follow up on 10/31, I was 205. I have to say that only 8 lbs in 1 month is disappointing :( But, I know the reality is that it's not really bad at all. I made it though a week long trip to Houston and a week of Thanksgiving with family. I thought Once I made it though the 3rd month and my hair didn't start noticeably falling out then I would be okay. I did notice that it was thinner though. It seems though that my hair gave me an extra month and now it's really been coming out over the last week.

I really wanted to get on track with exercise between now and Christmas but I only got 2 days in last week. I am under an insane amount of stress right now learning that my husband may be unfairly forced out of his job. He is our only income. I'm really trying hard to stay on the path and keep my eating in check. I want to drop around 50 more lbs before summer.

Hang in there. 8 pounds is awesome! I'm still pre-op and 8 pounds is not easy to lose, remember when? Just keep following with the program as best you can. 80% is better than 0. Your tool is still with you. Deep breathing and use diversions when you find yourself focusing on the negatives. We're always going to have negatives in our lives. Pre-op, it was food as our coping tool. Now we must turn to things like hobbies, meditation, going for walks, etc., to soothe ourselves in times of stress. I'm routing for you!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using BariatricPal mobile app

@J San -- "wanting to add amino acid powder to my daily shakes a"

I got weary of the whey Protein Powder and started adding collagen hydolysate to Soups and drinks. It is fairly tasteless and can be used in hot foods, a distinct advantage over the whey. I got Great Lakes collagen hydrolysate (green canister) but it's not a complete Protein as it lacks Tryptophan. I get around that but adding an opened capsule of tryptophan. It's an easy way to add 12g protein to a food, and give the system another type of protein which is easily digested, at least for me.

Glad you're beyond the pleurisy and wow, you've made so much headway on your goal - maybe your system needs some time to process and adjust to all these changes. But talk with your medical team about your protein levels and types, as well as appropriate dosage for lysine - see what's best for you. Carry on!

Hello July Peeps! I just wanted to check in. Im in need of a little support to get over the holiday hump.

I was sleeved on July 25th, down 67 pounds last I weighed. I have refused to weigh during the holidays. Not sure if that was a good or bad choice. I have averaged 2-2.5 pounds lost each week with no stall yet. Im ok with that because slow and steady wins the race!! I know I wasn't reaching my Water or Protein goals. As of yesterday, I hit that back hard and heavy. I sent all the leftover holiday goodies to work the hubs to get it out of my house!! :)

Im hoping to pick up with some added walking and exercise in the New Year.

My hair is also coming out like crazy. I take a added Biotin supplement to help with that. Also - saw my doc at 4 months post op, he was very pleased with my progress and told me to keep up the good work. Had blood work and my Iron was low. I think that's pretty common. Ive added an extra iron supplement also!

How is everyone making it after the holidays?!

@jjacobs0816 I’m in exactly the same boat! Surgery 7/24 and down 60lbs. Slow and steady.....indulged a bit more than I should have these past few weeks but getting back on track with eating and exercise. I didn’t do this just to sabotage myself. Increase Protein and Water and get to the gym is my plan. However, I feel like almost 6 months out, I can eat more in general, and MUCH more of snacks- crackers, chips, etc. A bit nervous but hoping to get it under control.

1 minute ago, Leanbean said:

@jjacobs0816 I’m in exactly the same boat! Surgery 7/24 and down 60lbs. Slow and steady.....indulged a bit more than I should have these past few weeks but getting back on track with eating and exercise. I didn’t do this just to sabotage myself. Increase Protein and Water and get to the gym is my plan. However, I feel like almost 6 months out, I can eat more in general, and MUCH more of snacks- crackers, chips, etc. A bit nervous but hoping to get it under control.

YES to the being able to eat more. I have learned that chips, crackers and food that you chew up super fine do NOT make me get that full feeling, and sweets DONT make me sick. (unless I eat a large portion) I have since STOPPED buying them! too dangerous! The holidays did a number on me with "off limit" foods.

I can tell you that yesterday and today (so far) I have been more hungry. Trying to stick with Protein Shakes and foods that are higher in Proteins. Its like Im having to come off sugar again.

Hi all. Sleeved 7/10. Down about 65 pounds. Lot of temptation this time of year. Did try some chocolate covered strawberries...had a piece of two of them. Everything else I just told myself was off limits. Haven’t weighed myself in about a week. My normal weigh day is Sunday but decided to skip this week. hair falling out. Just keeping with the program.

My story is very similar to some of the others. Down 72 pounds since being sleeved on 7/3. I ate more than I should have over the holiday and gained a pound or two. Mostly I added sugar to my diet and it feels very hard to stop eating it now. I’m thinking about doing a few days like my pre-op diet - with mostly sugarless Protein Shakes - to get back on track.

Happy new year!