Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@nibble, you asked,i'm here to tell you what it is like. I am allergic to chocolate, and I do mean very allergic, i f I breathed in cocoa powder it would precipitate an asthma attack if it didn't outright give me an anaphylactic attack and kill me, if I dropped Hershey's Syrup on my bare skin it would raise a burn like a cigarette burn and when the burn went down it would take a while to heal. I think that counts as allergic. What is it like to live in a chocolate-laden world? H E double hockey sticks. It is not only pervasive, would you believe those little specks,on the Doritos aren't toasting but teensy flakes of cocoa? And now when I am seeking Protein Shakes for my future preWLS diet,what flavor can you find easiest? Tain't vanilla. Some days it is like trying to fall into a vat,of poison because for me,THAT'S what it is. Have I explained it enough for you?

I’m scheduled for July 11th. I’m at my last pre-op appointment now!

Yay, Laura! My pre-op is in 2 days. Nervous and excited. Excited and nervous. How are you feeling?

6 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

@nibble, you asked,i'm here to tell you what it is like. I am allergic to chocolate, and I do mean very allergic, i f I breathed in cocoa powder it would precipitate an asthma attack if it didn't outright give me an anaphylactic attack and kill me, if I dropped Hershey's Syrup on my bare skin it would raise a burn like a cigarette burn and when the burn went down it would take a while to heal. I think that counts as allergic. What is it like to live in a chocolate-laden world? H E double hockey sticks. It is not only pervasive, would you believe those little specks,on the Doritos aren't toasting but teensy flakes of cocoa? And now when I am seeking Protein Shakes for my future preWLS diet,what flavor can you find easiest? Tain't vanilla. Some days it is like trying to fall into a vat,of poison because for me,THAT'S what it is. Have I explained it enough for you?

Yes, Ma'am!! Got it. So... how do you adapt and work around it? Did you LIKE chocolate before you knew it was toxic for you? I got some Lorann flavors to experiment with for shakes and homemade Jello. They even have flavors like butterscotch, caramel, toffee, grape and and and... I wonder if you can use vanilla and add other flavors to it...

Hey! I am sooooo excited! I had my pre-op today and I’m cleared! I picked up my “Robard” diet of shakes, pudding, bars and soups! I’m so excited to finally start this part of my journey! I was super worried but I was only up two pounds and he didn’t say anything about it. :-)

On 06/26/2018 at 22:22, nibble said:

Yay, Laura! My pre-op is in 2 days. Nervous and excited. Excited and nervous. How are you feeling?

Hey! I am sooooo excited! I had my pre-op today and I’m cleared! I picked up my “Robard” diet of shakes, pudding, bars and soups! I’m so excited to finally start this part of my journey! I was super worried but I was only up two pounds and he didn’t say anything about it. :-)

2 minutes ago, Laura7 said:

Whew, that was a relief, I'm sure. It sure is interesting to see the many pre-op food approaches hospitals use -- regular diets, liquid diets, no diets. Maybe it's different for sleevers and bypassers. I am most concerned about Hair loss so I started the Vitamin and Biotin regimen 2 months ago, and adding Protein Shakes to give my system a head start. This whole journey started in January for me with a seminar about it. When did yours begin? Are you keeping a journal to chart moods, pain, and foods?

On 06/26/2018 at 22:43, nibble said:

Whew, that was a relief, I'm sure. It sure is interesting to see the many pre-op food approaches hospitals use -- regular diets, liquid diets, no diets. Maybe it's different for sleevers and bypassers. I am most concerned about Hair loss so I started the Vitamin and Biotin regimen 2 months ago, and adding Protein Shakes to give my system a head start. This whole journey started in January for me with a seminar about it. When did yours begin? Are you keeping a journal to chart moods, pain, and foods?

So I started in November. I decided that I needed to do this so that my husband and I could have healthy children. I didn’t have infertility but I was thinking of conceiving and I decided gastric bypass was best for me. Dec-April was so full of appointments I used up all my sick days. May was finally a break just waiting to schedule a surgery date (and some back and forth with the office). No, I don’t have a diary. I kept one for nutrition appointments and they said I would just need a week or two when I go back. I will be keeping one after surgery. Before surgery I think I’m just going to eat the items I’ve been told to eat. What is your diary like?

25 minutes ago, Laura7 said:

I started in November. I decided that I needed to do this so that my husband and I could have healthy children. I didn’t have infertility but I was thinking of conceiving and I decided gastric bypass was best for me. Dec-April was so full of appointments I used up all my sick days. May was finally a break just waiting to schedule a surgery date (and some back and forth with the office). No, I don’t have a diary. I kept one for nutrition appointments and they said I would just need a week or two when I go back. I will be keeping one after surgery. Before surgery I think I’m just going to eat the items I’ve been told to eat. What is your diary like?

I have a red notebook - 5x8 - fits in my bag, and I jot down thoughts and concerns and changing attitudes about this since January. Not a daily thing. I also started great quotes or mantras on post-its to put in kitchen, bathroom, anywhere - reminders and inspiration. I then set up a daily food journal -- my hospital has us track Protein, carbs and hydration. Forget calories and fat for now. Their philosophy is if you get adequate protein, the rest will fall into place. I also got a 24 month calendar. This adventure requires jotting too many details to keep it all straight on my phone calendar. Guess I'm old school but life is now filled with one appt after another and seeing it all on one sheet of paper works best for me. I am impressed by you and others going through this while working. You are smart to do this before having children, just from an energy perspective. It's hard to carve out time to focus on yourself juggling the demands of family and work.

Edited by nibble
typo

On 06/26/2018 at 23:17, nibble said:

I have a red notebook - 5x8 - fits in my bag, and I jot down thoughts and concerns and changing attitudes about this since January. Not a daily thing. I also started great quotes or mantras on post-its to put in kitchen, bathroom, anywhere - reminders and inspiration. I then set up a daily food journal -- my hospital has us track Protein, carbs and hydration. Forget calories and fat for not. Their philosophy is if you get adequate Protein, the rest will fall into place. I also got a 24 month calendar. This adventure requires jotting too many details to keep it all straight on my phone calendar. Guess I'm old school but my life is now filled with one appt after another and seeing it all on one sheet of paper works best for me. I am impressed by you and others going through this while working. You are smart to do this before having children, just from an energy perspective. It's hard to carve out time to focus on yourself juggling the demands of family and work.

I love the post it idea. I would like to teach Proteins and carbs. I’m not a fan of electronic food journaling even with the whole graphs and charts. I like paper for that. I’m actually off work for the summer. I’m a teacher. Have you been able to lose weight since January? I really struggled.

On 6/24/2018 at 10:04 PM, Dee_Rose said:

Hi All... im scheduled for July 17th in NJ. I too do not have a pre op diet to follow... just eat “lite” the day before. I’ve been eating a ton and having “food funerals” I’ve decided to stop drinking alcohol and caffeine today in order to prepare...thinking about doing a liquid diet a week before just to get in the right mindset etc. July 4th will be very hard for me. Anyway just wanted to say Hi

Hi Dee, July 17 will be here for us fast. My pre-op is 6/28, then begin pre-op food plan July 7. I quit caffeine 3 days ago and it seems hardly worth it to make coffee anymore - so bland without the kick! But it's fun to play in the kitchen and try various concoctions of Protein Shakes, etc. Gave up on soda last January and quit alcohol last month. "It's just temporary," I tell myself!

7 minutes ago, Laura7 said:

love the post it idea. I would like to teach Proteins and carbs. I’m not a fan of electronic food journaling even with the whole graphs and charts. I like paper for that. I’m actually off work for the summer. I’m a teacher. Have you been able to lose weight since January? I really struggled.

Those food apps never worked well for me because I don't eat processed foods - food sensitivities. I made my own food database. Paper is good. :-) I've lost 8-10# lbs with more activity since the end of snow. It's weird, but I have no taste for some foods since beginning this and don't have the same interest in food in general. New attitudes, perhaps. I wasn't ready for this surgery 5 yrs ago. Control issues and anger about being surgically "forced" into new eating habits. Now I realize I was not in control - food was in control and I was the slave - the moth to the flame. New day, new attitude. I was a librarian, and in social work before that. What do you teach, and what level?

On 06/26/2018 at 23:48, nibble said:

Those food apps never worked well for me because I don't eat processed foods - food sensitivities. I made my own food database. Paper is good. :-) I've lost 8-10# lbs with more activity since the end of snow. It's weird, but I have no taste for some foods since beginning this and don't have the same interest in food in general. New attitudes, perhaps. I wasn't ready for this surgery 5 yrs ago. Control issues and anger about being surgically "forced" into new eating habits. Now I realize I was not in control - food was in control and I was the slave - the moth to the flame. New day, new attitude. I was a librarian, and in social work before that. What do you teach, and what level?

Wow! I wish I was at the point where I didn’t crave some of my favorite foods. It sounds like you will have a lot of success. I teach English Special Education. I’ve taught large and small classes mostly high school. I love my students and I’m finally at a great school that doesn’t add to life stress (much). So this is the school year to start focusing on me. I’m a little bummed because I just started exercising and now I need to not exercise for 6 weeks. I guess I’ll be walking a lot. Did your doctor give you recommendations about exercise?

9 hours ago, jjacobs0816 said:

July 25th here (this is also my first post ever!) I have to do liquids one week out with Clear Liquids the day prior to surgery! Ive already started to incorporate liquids for at least one meal a day sometimes two. I have cut out carbonated drinks completely. Im excited for my nutrition class coming!

Hi JJ, good for you getting ahead of the game - your system will thank you. I quit soda 7 mos ago and really don't miss it. The sooner we start "workin; the program" the better our chances for great outcomes. Welcome aboard the July Train!

5 minutes ago, Laura7 said:
16 minutes ago, nibble said:

Wow! I wish I was at the point where I didn’t crave some of my favorite foods. It sounds like you will have a lot of success. I teach English Special Education. I’ve taught large and small classes mostly high school. I love my students and I’m finally at a great school that doesn’t add to life stress (much). So this is the school year to start focusing on me. I’m a little bummed because I just started exercising and now I need to not exercise for 6 weeks. I guess I’ll be walking a lot. Did your doctor give you recommendations about exercise?

6 minutes ago, Laura7 said:

Oh, I will miss certain foods BIG TIME. But it's temporary, like moving to another country that doesn't have my favs so I just endure til I get back home. And this attitude could backfire on me at any time! The nutritionist says "There is no cheating - only choices." That's on several post-its! We are to use a Theraband during TV time, and exercise (walk) 10 min at a time 3x day and increase from there. Slow and steady. Also, they keep telling our tastes for things can change a lot. A coffee lover I know of couldn't STAND coffee after bypass. Five months later she likes ice coffee, but not hot coffee. Go figure.