Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had surgery on May 2nd and today marks 6 weeks. I’ve lost a little over 30 pounds since surgery and over 50 since November when I had my first appointment and started the process.

It’s gone by both so fast and so slowly.

I’m sick of Protein Drinks, and I just haven’t fallen into the right routine.

I wake up and I miss my coffee routine but I’m proud of myself for stopping. I pour a glass of ice Water and get to work (I work from home).
Sometimes I have a Protein Shake, sometimes I have a smoothie with Protein, but it’s never on the same schedule. Some days I feel hungry enough to think about have a snack/lunch and then the day passes and I have something for dinner.
I haven’t been tracking my meals. I haven’t even been measuring my food, except to eyeball the size and I pay attention to how I feel and eat slowly with lots of chewing. I often only get a few bites in. 

I remember an instructor in my Kaiser Option course saying she didn’t understand why people call after surgery and say “what should I be eating?” Because we have 12 classes and a binder of information by the end of it... but I feel like the info they gave us doesn’t have the exact post surgery diet info I’m looking for, and I really do think to myself, “what should I be eating?!” And Why can’t I remember what I’m supposed to do now?

I haven’t been great about Vitamins because they make me nauseous.

I’m often tired or lack energy.

I just feel like I did this major thing by getting surgery, and I want to do it right, but I’m having a hard time implementing a structure and new sense of control, I guess.

Is this relatable to anyone? Any advice on how to feel like I’m taking better control and feeling more empowered?

you may be tired and lacking energy because you aren't getting enough calories, Protein and Vitamins in to keep your body chugging along happily while still using fat cells for energy. Eating solids with your vitamins may make them sit better and not trigger nausea. Can you try recording your food in detail for a week or more on something like the MyFitnessPal app? It makes it so much easier for me to see how I'm tracking with both calories and macros through the day, and to make good decisions regarding my protein intake etc. I was sleeved on May 2nd too, and am trying for about 900 calories a day at the moment. I want to be sitting at 1200 calories a day soon so that when my body eventually wakes up to the fact I'm on reduced intake, it doesn't cause the metabolism slow-down that would happen if I was still at starvation level 800 calories or less a day. 1200 calories is quite a reasonable daily amount to maintain a weight loss deficit given our much smaller meal portions long term. (see some posts from Creekimp16 about their 1200 calorie post-surgery program)

I still have a coffee every morning, but I make it with Decaf coffee Beans, and high protein milk, and usually add a 15g protein scoop of peptipro collagen hydrolysate so that although I often don't eat anything until 3 hours+ after I get up, I at least get my first calcium&VitD chewable and a protein heavy drink down first thing (26.5g total protein).

I've been sick a fair bit these past few weeks with non-sleeve related issues (winter here and hubby has kindly been bringing home some really nasty viruses to share around) but I'm making sure I get plenty of protein supplements in even when I'm not eating much. Most days when I'm well I'm eating 4 small meals of solids with a lot of liquids throughout the day.

Hi Betty-

You and I had surgery on the same day and I am also a Kaiser patient. I had my surgery at Kaiser West Los Angeles. You can do this. I know that it is overwhelming but we committed to this change and need to just keep taking each day as it comes.

As far as what to eat, www.kp.org/bariatrics/westla has information regarding what to eat at each stage including suggested calorie intake per day. Have you reached out to the Bariatric Dietitian/Nutritionist in your area? I have e-mailed mine and had a phone consult since surgery. Our Vitamins are a must for the rest of our lives. The consequences of not taking them may not be visible but it will harm us. My motivation for taking them is my hair. Though I am could still lose a lot of it even with meeting Protein goals and taking my vitamins, I have to do all that I can possibly do to try and prevent it. I am finishing up my chewable Bariatric Advantage Vitamins and then will move on to the pill form. I don't particularly like the taste of chewables but I do it all the same. The calcium citrate chewable tastes good so no issues with that.

Every morning, I have a Premier Protein shake, whether I feel hungry or not. It may take me two hours to get through it or 30 minutes, it all depends on the day. I then take my Vitamin, probiotic, and Prilosec. I track what I eat and drink with the My Fitness Pal app and use a food scale to weight what I am eating. I have toddler utensils and small dishes to help remind me to eat slow and to train myself about food quantities.

I am not an expert but I am willing to be here for you if you need support. I struggle too but am so grateful that I did the surgery. I am still working on getting enough Water, and am currently in a stall with my weight loss which caused me to have a meltdown earlier this week. I have tried everything to lose weight and could only lose the same thirty pounds only to gain it back. When I took this drastic leap, I promised myself that I would work everyday to change my habits and lifestyle for the better. This site is such a blessing to me. I don't feel alone because of the people here and their willingness to support each other. We are still learning how to do this. Each day gets better and one day we will look back and see how far we have come. Hang in there!

Staci

This is a list of Protein suggestions from my Kaiser Bariatrician

image-0.00703334808349609.jpg