Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experimenting before dr Allows😳

Hi! Has anyone been bad and experimented with any foods before they were allowed? I am 6 days post op and going crazy from my full liquid diet:((( HELP

Hi! Has anyone been bad and experimented with any foods before they were allowed? I am 6 days post op and going crazy from my full liquid diet:((( HELP
My Dr was extremely serious it could be life threatening. I would stick to liquid or recommended diet.

Sent from my LG-K550 using BariatricPal mobile app

There are a lot of liquid options! How many broths have you tried? Have you strained Soup? Popsicles, Jello?

Not that early on, no. I stuck to the liquid and pureed phases as the doctor suggested. I'm still not eating some things, because it may be too much for me.

I had my surgery May 30th 2018,

and as of today (June 13th 2018) I try eating things here and there like mash potatoes, fruit pop cycles with no added sugar, or fruit mashed. My doctor told me to wait 4 week and stay on the liquid diet but it’s annoying and the Protein Shakes aren’t doing it for me plus they taste nasty now. I say try to eat purée foods slowly to see if your stomach can handle it. At the end of the day my surgeon told me the instruction are just generalize but some people heal better than others.

Nope

So, @Dropdeadkim your surgeon told you the instructions they provided you were just general and to roll with it? From one of your previous posts, you mentioned that they told you to stop your medications cold turkey. Could you please share who this surgeon is so that others may avoid them at all costs? Sorry, but I'm just not buying it.

On 6/15/2018 at 2:01 PM, EsoKev said:

So, @Dropdeadkim your surgeon told you the instructions they provided you were just general and to roll with it? From one of your previous posts, you mentioned that they told you to stop your medications cold turkey. Could you please share who this surgeon is so that others may avoid them at all costs? Sorry, but I'm just not buying it.

My Dr had me stop 2 of my medicines before surgery until further notice. One is a Water pill and since I can get dehydrated it can dehydrate meneven more.. also I was eating cream Soups the day after my surgery, everything I've read said that's not until puree. So the whole thing is confusing

7 hours ago, Hellokitty19984 said:

My Dr had me stop 2 of my medicines before surgery until further notice. One is a Water pill and since I can get dehydrated it can dehydrate meneven more.. also I was eating cream Soups the day after my surgery, everything I've read said that's not until puree. So the whole thing is confusing

My doctor also had me stop all meds before surgery. now, post op, I haven't had to return to anyone of them, except 1. Stopping the meds was in my pre-surgery packet of instructions.

Don't cheat! Not only could it be dangerous it could also make you sick. I cheated (2 days before my transition to blended) and I got sick and it wasn't good. From then on I have been cautious what I eat and I actually LISTEN to my nutritionist. It's sooo annoying to (in my case) be on liquids for a month but it's for the best. I guess all the surgeons are different but most I've seen you're on liquids for at least 1-2 weeks, so crazy to be on solids so quick like I've seen some places!

I make two weeks post op tomorrow and I experimented with refried Beans yesterday and chili on Saturday (literally like 6 tiny bites) because even with my Vitamins my energy was low. I never feel Hungry and I get in at least 40 oz of liquid. I’ve lost 20 lbs since 4 days pre op. With a total 13.4 post op! I feel fine and have more energy! I will be telling my doctor on Wednesday at my two week check up. But I wouldn’t go overboard.

Im not going to encourage you to experiment. But rather if you do experiment, be smart about it.

I see way too many posts on here of people doing idiotic things like experimenting with fried chicken or pizza at 2 weeks out. You absolutely dont want to be one of those people.

However if you do decide you want to try to push the limits, be smart and do your homework. For example I was craving eggs early on after surgery, but according to my doctors instructions no eggs until week 4 or something. However I saw tons of people on here whose doctors allowed them soft scrambled eggs much earlier and tolerated fine. So I did my "research" and "experimented" making sure to eat only a small amount of eggs and eating them VERY slow.

I also did the same thing with PB2 Peanut Butter powder as well (adding it to smoothies, pudding, yogurt etc). These things were outside of my doctors instructions, but I did it in a slow well thought out way that wouldnt cause me distress.

So basically IF you are going to be a rebel. Do it in a matter where you think research and behave in an overly cautious matter. Its a far better option than being one of those people who trys to make blended pizza 3 days out or something else ridiculous.

@EsoKev I don’t remember the exact name of the surgeon. But I since spoke to the surgeons team and the bariatric center and they said the doctor asked me to stay off the medication due to it counteracting with other medications I was given. Also I’m not the only one who has been told it’s generalize. And as you can see other people have the same surgery but can eat 2 days or even a week after surgery. Each doctor has their reason but only you know your body.