Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect!.. Surgery this Friday 15th

Trying to get an idea of what to semi expect right after surgery (gastric sleeve). In terms of stomach pain etc. I've had surgery and my galbladder out but I felt better no pain other than gas and BM.
I'm excited but nervous of the unknown in terms of recovery.
Any insight is appreciated. Thank you for caring to review and reply. Good luck on your journey!
Sent from my LG-K550 using BariatricPal mobile app

4 minutes ago, lbug said:

Trying to get an idea of what to semi expect right after surgery. In terms of stomach pain etc. I've had surgery and my galbladder out but I felt better no pain other than gas and BM.

I'm excited but nervous of the unknown in terms of recovery.

Any insight is appreciated. Thank you for caring to review and reply. Good luck on your journey!

Which Surgery?
For me... having the Band and the Bypass, I didn't really have much pain... I was out of work for 2 months to be safe, couldn't pick up anything over 10 lbs for like 6 weeks. I mean, I could have, but I followed my instructions to the letter. I didn't have any issues really with Water or Protein or food once I was cleared for that. Just take your time, listen to your body (and your doctors) and go from there. Sounds like you'll do ok given your description of your other surgeries.

Which Surgery?
For me... having the Band and the Bypass, I didn't really have much pain... I was out of work for 2 months to be safe, couldn't pick up anything over 10 lbs for like 6 weeks. I mean, I could have, but I followed my instructions to the letter. I didn't have any issues really with Water or Protein or food once I was cleared for that. Just take your time, listen to your body (and your doctors) and go from there. Sounds like you'll do ok given your description of your other surgeries.
Gastric Sleeve

Which Surgery?
Thank you Matt.

Hope all went well for you!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Which Surgery?
As soon as you can, begin walking. It will help with the gas pains. Don't compare your weight loss to others, everyone is different. If you can, take Biotene with you to help with dry mouth. Good luck.

Sleeved on April 25, 2018
HW: 258
SW: 238
CW: 220
GW: 165

When I first woke up in recovery is when I had the most severe pain. It was from the gas injected for the laparoscopic surgery. Once I got to my room and got some good drugs, the sharpness of the pain went away entirely. I personally never had any gas pain again. In the hospital and for several days after there was pain and soreness around my incisions, but I was able to manage without pain meds after a couple of days. Overall I'd say the surgery and recovery was waaaay easier than I had anticipated.

On 6/16/2018 at 3:17 PM, browneyez42 said:

As soon as you can, begin walking. It will help with the gas pains. Don't compare your weight loss to others, everyone is different. If you can, take Biotene with you to help with dry mouth. Good luck.

I think you might have quoted the wrong person in your reply.

I think you might have quoted the wrong person in your reply.
Sorry...[emoji57]

14 minutes ago, browneyez42 said:

Sorry...

No worries at all! Just wanted you to be aware.

Thanks everyone. I'm 3 days post up and the gas pains are ridiculous! I can hardly take a deep breath. I've been walking and doing everything I was instructed. Today has been rough breathing! Its only on my left side.

@lbug Glad you came through. I am almost 3 weeks post op. I still struggle with always feeling gassy and like gas is stuck in the middle of my chest. But I want to encourage you that it gets better. I take GasX strips which gives some relief and moving around definitely breaks up the gas. I thump the front of my chest with my hand like how you burp a baby and that helps gas come up. I still constantly burp and fart but thankfully its not smelly.

They pump your stomach with gas during VSG so they can see the organs and lift and separate them so you may find you have stretching pains across the top of your chest as well as your sides and stomach. I was extremely sore from this for about a week and a half. A post surgery band really helped me manage that pain.

Are you doing your breathing exercises? I was given one of those thingies that have 3 balls in it and you have to suck air through the mouth tube and make all 3 balls rise. This is to strengthen your lungs after you have been on a ventilator. It is also to help you keep your lungs strong so that you don't get pneumonia which has happened with some VSG patients when their lungs got weak. Ask your doctor or hospital if you can have one of these devices.

An electric heating pad helps with the soreness on your belly and also helps bring up gas - that was my experience.

Keep your eye on your blood pressure. With so little calories and liquid it can get low and create dizziness and weakness. Putting electrolytes in your water/drink helps with this for the first 12 days or so. You did it!!! :)

[mention=341960]lbug[/mention] Glad you came through. I am almost 3 weeks post op. I still struggle with always feeling gassy and like gas is stuck in the middle of my chest. But I want to encourage you that it gets better. I take GasX strips which gives some relief and moving around definitely breaks up the gas. I thump the front of my chest with my hand like how you burp a baby and that helps gas come up. I still constantly burp and fart but thankfully its not smelly.
They pump your stomach with gas during VSG so they can see the organs and lift and separate them so you may find you have stretching pains across the top of your chest as well as your sides and stomach. I was extremely sore from this for about a week and a half. A post surgery band really helped me manage that pain.
Are you doing your breathing exercises? I was given one of those thingies that have 3 balls in it and you have to suck air through the mouth tube and make all 3 balls rise. This is to strengthen your lungs after you have been on a ventilator. It is also to help you keep your lungs strong so that you don't get pneumonia which has happened with some VSG patients when their lungs got weak. Ask your doctor or hospital if you can have one of these devices.
An electric heating pad helps with the soreness on your belly and also helps bring up gas - that was my experience.
Keep your eye on your blood pressure. With so little calories and liquid it can get low and create dizziness and weakness. Putting electrolytes in your water/drink helps with this for the first 12 days or so. You did it!!!
Thank you for sharing your experience. I was temporarily readmitted for pain management and found out it was my spleen. (Morphine only helped for 30mins) It was angry! Stayed overnight and next day and I was finally able to get off pain meds. Day 8 and things are much better. Though I'm having trouble getting in the 64oz of liquid. Thanks for caring.

@lbug oh gosh, what happened to your spleen?

I am 4 weeks plus post op and still cant get in the 64 oz. I think you have to gradually build up to it as I have noticed the more time goes on, the more liquids I can manage. Putting electrolytes in your drink early days post op really makes a difference.

Hope you are feeling much better now :)

@lbug, you didn't have to lose your spleen did you? That is a scary prospect, I know their blood supplies live very close to each other and a bumbling,less-than-compandent doctor can mess things up badly.
Case in point: My daughter R.D. She went in for a laprascopic hiatal hernia repair. Dumb bunny doofus doctor, no longer practices here, maybe no where. Nipped the tip of her spleen off, she nearly exsangiuated on the table, her smooth and simple repair turned into a nasty open incision. She lived, but it changes your blood chemistry eternally, you lose all your immunities, yes they can be somewhat replaced but still it,was a game that shouldn't have been played. And on June 15 2015, the same day of my first EGD she had to have a huge ventral hernia repaired. If she ever sought WLS, and truly she should because she inherited LL big thick bone structure and now is wider across the rump than me probably also,outweighs me but tells everybody on Facebook she is a size 14. & ,in poor health, started up a Go Fund Me account so she could go see some stars from "Supernatural." FYI nobody even ever contributed penny 1. GO FUND ME accounts are for valid reasons not ding-a-ling flights of fancy like that! She was not my best piece of work, her very nice upstanding brothers I hope made up karma- wise for her. Every family,has one of them, to my undying shame-- I gave birth to mine.😪