Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DS Scheduled for 7.11.18 w/Dr. K

I am so excited about getting this surgery. I have to also admit that I am nervous too. This is my first WLS - and hopefully ONLY one that I will have, so I had to make sure I am getting the right procedure for me. I am from Texas and will be traveling to Cali for this (my husband in tow :-) he is totally supportive), but I've heard by many that Dr. Keshishian is one of the bests for this surgery. When I first spoke with him on the phone, I felt an instant rapport/click. I did read about his disciplinary status, but I overcame that. I know a couple of personal friends who have had the sleeve gastrectomy (hope i spelled that right) and had wonderful results (one lost 110 lbs in 7 mths !!)... i am hopeful that I too can be a normal size relatively soon, but I also don't want to be too unrealistic... i know everyone is different.

I found this site about a month ago as I began researching, and I plan to posts updates about my journey. Is there anything you wished you had known before surgery? after surgery tips? please feel free to tell me. i am also researching all the Vitamins I will need to take. also, can you tell me - how painful do you feel the surgery was for you? dr. K told me I would stay in the hospital for 2 nights, and I have read some posts where others have stayed for up to 5 nights! also, i was told that i only need a 2 day pre-op diet, and i've seen where others have up to a 2 week pre-op liquid diet - interesting huh?

Talk more soon!

@mjctexasLactose intolerance. I wasn't told. It left within a year but I used lactate free products and took lactaid for that year.

Probiotics. Learned about them a few years postop.

Have you checked out Vitalady's sample Vitamin list for DSers?

I had a pain pump so I was able to manage my pain pretty well. Then I was given pain meds to take home.

I was in the hospital for 5 days. Would have been only 4 but I developed a fever. This was 13 years ago. The protocols might have changed.

Only 2 days preop diet for me, too. Clear Liquids, Jell-O, etc. But no red.

At your size the DS will work wonders. I'm sure Dr. K said the same thing.

Edited by Postop

Thank you for the response :) Did you take lactaid because of your cheese consumption? Did you give up milk? I don't really drink milk, but I definitely love cheese, so I will be mindful of that. I did see Vitalady's list of recommended Vitamins and dosages. I just did pre-surgery bloodwork today, so I'm anxious to see my baseline. I see in your tag line that in the one week that led up to your surgery, you lost almost 10 lbs... were you trying to eat better for that entire week or was that loss attributed to the 2 day pre-op diet? just curious.

I only stayed one night in the hospital. I didn't have very much pain, so I was ok to go home. It was hard to get Water down the first few days, but you have to keep at it. I never developed any intolerance to dairy and ate cheese and yogurt all of the time. I was never put on a pre-op diet. You're going to be amazed at how fast your body changes.

I am 3 weeks post op and I’m still sore. My body has changed so much and feels so different, I’m in a whirlwind of emotions. I have a constant gurgle in my stomach that drives me crazy. I just really want to sleep on my stomach already. I have a hard time falling asleep....any tips?

10 hours ago, Drea1007 said:

I am 3 weeks post op and I’m still sore. My body has changed so much and feels so different, I’m in a whirlwind of emotions. I have a constant gurgle in my stomach that drives me crazy. I just really want to sleep on my stomach already. I have a hard time falling asleep....any tips?

The constant gurgle will go away with time. I'm a side sleeper, so I'm not sure how long it will be until you can sleep on your stomach. The best advice I can give you is to be patient. All of these frustrations will pass, and if you hit a stall (most people hit one at 3 weeks), just know that it's part of the process. Your body is still healing and adjusting. It will find its groove.

so i have another question - because most DSers can become dehydrated easier, does that mean that you can't really exercise? i sweat like crazy as it is... and i live in southeast Texas, so it is hot here 10 mths out of the year. So i am wondering how will getting dehydrated affect me once i am given the "ok" to start exercising AND it's gonna be hot out. If I can only take in so much Water at any given time - will that be enough? how do you manage your Fluid consumption with exercising? oh, and Dr. K told me that regular tap water is better than SmartWater or those with electrolytes.

@Drea1007 how are things going for you? how much weight have you lost?

I drink a bottled Water in the morning, one 32 oz cup of crystal light at lunch, one bottle of propel and then two 32oz cups of water throughout the afternoon, and a bottled water at night. The rapid weight loss uses all the water in your body so you definitely have to stay hydrated, EVEN THOUGH IT IS SOOOOO HARD.

wow.. that is a lot! how do you manage to get it all in? what is the size of your stomach?

@Drea1007 what is your height and what was your starting surgery weight if you don't mind?

On 6/13/2018 at 2:47 PM, mjctexas said:

Thank you for the response :) Did you take lactaid because of your cheese consumption? Did you give up milk? I don't really drink milk, but I definitely love cheese, so I will be mindful of that. I did see Vitalady's list of recommended Vitamins and dosages. I just did pre-surgery bloodwork today, so I'm anxious to see my baseline. I see in your tag line that in the one week that led up to your surgery, you lost almost 10 lbs... were you trying to eat better for that entire week or was that loss attributed to the 2 day pre-op diet? just curious.

@mjctexasYes. The Lactaid pills I bought at the drugstore were good for cheese or milk. I also bought lactate free milk and cheese during that year. They were in the supermarket.

Keep that blood work and all subsequent ones.

I did lose about 9 lbs. I was eating junk and my surgeon called me at 9:00 at night about 5 days before the surgery and said he knew what I was doing. I was floored. He really knew me well. So I stopped the all junk party and ate a bit more sensibly for 3 days. Then I had a liquid diet for 2 days and let's just say I was nervous and my body got rid of a lot of what I'd eaten. :blink:I can't see him or any surgeon doing what he did nowadays. It was a different time, I guess.

did any of you have to take a laxative prior to surgery?

11 hours ago, mjctexas said:

did any of you have to take a laxative prior to surgery?

Nope. I had a few food funerals (which really wasn't necessary) and showed up for surgery.