Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! :778_heartbeat:
My surgery was just scheduled and it will be August 28. I am curious how you handled notifying your work.

When & how did you let your boss/work know you will be out for surgery? What did you say? How soon did you tell them?
I know some folks are open to sharing about the surgery; I applaud you!!! :1297_raised_hands_tone3:
Unfortunately, I am a pretty private/introverted person and am not comfortable with sharing too much.

Thank you! 2764.png?_nc_eui2=AeEefYK_inFiN8l76Tzo6f<3
and added kitten picture just because it makes me happy! :P

cats.jpg

I told my boss the day i got my surgery date. And told her my surgeon said i would be off work appropriately a week as long as i dont lift anything heavy. It worked out great, had time to make sure my office was covered, i come back to work 8 days after surgery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

Depending on where you work, you only need to notify your boss of when you will be off and notify your HR if you are taking FMLA (which I suggest everyone do because it protects you if complications arise.)

i was open with my boss and coworkers so it was fine. My work is also flexible and it was easy to get coverage for me. But you do not have to reveal you’re even having surgery unless you will have restrictions post op at work.

Some people say they’re having hernia surgery which makes them feel more comfortable about the take off process and in case people ask questions.

You need to follow your company policy when taking leave/sick leave/fmla. Tell them you have an upcoming surgery, you do not need to tell details about it. For fmla, you usually have to have something signed by a physician regarding your 'possible' return to work date - make sure they understand that it is only a best guess and not the actual return date, your doctor will sign a release when you can return to full duty. Your health care is really no one's business, unless you invite and share, that also opens you up to opinions and all that goes with that. (I don't share other intimate details with coworkers, bosses - who wants to be in awkward situations like that?)

Congrats on getting a surgery date. Good luck.

Hi! CONGRATS on your upcoming surgery, @FierceOne! So exciting. The kittens photo is absolutely precious. I have 2 Ragdolls named Romeo & Juliet and love, love, love kittens. <3

I found out about my surgery date about a month before surgery and I immediately got busy and prepared a back up plan for me. I then approached my boss and let him know I was having surgery, and would need 2 weeks off, and discussed the list of those covering my workload and asked that we keep this private and confidential. I told him I would have difficulty telling folks what I was doing while on PTO if they asked, because we have such an open, fun office and are super friendly with one another, but this was something I wanted to keep to myself for the most part. It's ok to be private about this. My boss was super supportive and said, I don't have to tell anyone anything and if asked, just say I'm spending time with my family and having a staycation. He asked if anyone else knew about this, and I told him that I'd tell my closest colleague that I was having surgery but asking her to keep it private as well. He asked if everything was ok, and I told him everything would be fine. No detail was provided on what kind of surgery I was having. He asked if I was going to tell our Founder and said I didn't need to, but I decided I would go ahead as I provide administrative support to her a lot too. I kept it basic as I did with my boss and colleague and just told her I was having surgery. No one asked any additional questions. I did tell my work BFF what was really going on but she is in HR and her lips are always sealed. I plan on not telling anyone else at work.

This is your journey and we can support you! :)

Once I had my date I let my work know so we could arrange for someone to do my job while I’m away. I told them I was having my hernia repaired, and I’d need between 2 to 3 weeks off. I’m going back after 2 weeks cause I feel awesome!

My work is pretty friendly and open, and I’ve shared different personal things before, but didn’t for this one.

Love the kittens

Thank you all so very much for the suggestions! And I really appreciate the support!
It is so wonderful to be in a place where there is so much understanding and great advice!

Much love to you all and best wishes on your journeys!:778_heartbeat:

FierceOne I am a parabolic also, your v any kitten picture just makes me melt. If you b red a friend I'm always available, okay?🐯

Cat-a-holic I don't know why my phone is on a crusade to make me sound stupid. It can test,it's little circuits, I can do stupid all by myself 🌝

If you do file for FMLA you have to be completely honest on your paperwork. Your HR should not say anything to anyone. You also have to have 50 or more people employed by your company to get FMLA. You can always say you are having stomach surgery to your boss. That is completely true.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:50 PM, Little Kansas Kitty said:

Hi! CONGRATS on your upcoming surgery, @FierceOne! So exciting. The kittens photo is absolutely precious. I have 2 Ragdolls named Romeo & Juliet and love, love, love kittens. <3

I found out about my surgery date about a month before surgery and I immediately got busy and prepared a back up plan for me. I then approached my boss and let him know I was having surgery, and would need 2 weeks off, and discussed the list of those covering my workload and asked that we keep this private and confidential. I told him I would have difficulty telling folks what I was doing while on PTO if they asked, because we have such an open, fun office and are super friendly with one another, but this was something I wanted to keep to myself for the most part. It's ok to be private about this. My boss was super supportive and said, I don't have to tell anyone anything and if asked, just say I'm spending time with my family and having a staycation. He asked if anyone else knew about this, and I told him that I'd tell my closest colleague that I was having surgery but asking her to keep it private as well. He asked if everything was ok, and I told him everything would be fine. No detail was provided on what kind of surgery I was having. He asked if I was going to tell our Founder and said I didn't need to, but I decided I would go ahead as I provide administrative support to her a lot too. I kept it basic as I did with my boss and colleague and just told her I was having surgery. No one asked any additional questions. I did tell my work BFF what was really going on but she is in HR and her lips are always sealed. I plan on not telling anyone else at work.

This is your journey and we can support you! :)

Little Kansas kitty,

I'm soooo jealous. My dream is to own a ragdoll (or 10) . I have two cats of my own and I'm feeding three stray cats so it's not an option now.

I know a breeder locally but she has gone from $750 to $900 for her ragdoll kittens. Maybe one of these days 😸

My surgery was just scheduled and it will be August 28. I am curious how you handled notifying your work.

When & how did you let your boss/work know you will be out for surgery? What did you say? How soon did you tell them?
I know some folks are open to sharing about the surgery; I applaud you!!! :1297_raised_hands_tone3:
Unfortunately, I am a pretty private/introverted person and am not comfortable with sharing too much.

Thank you! 2764.png?_nc_eui2=AeEefYK_inFiN8l76Tzo6fi22vCmHB3-b7W8sM7AwMphKhRXll1g1g53Z3bF4V3Bm-hN_26ljiDz1yyO1yRKh4upoEJ9EtK72Bt5hy7yXIQFwg&key=e05a581f6447110e270778144b7acbfb49c44c80f2c9ae4d9b1278ba9c923b6b and added kitten picture just because it makes me happy! [emoji14]

cats.jpg.ad417bdc7ebb7b435f0913b4bfb77709.jpg
Thankfully I work at a school so I'm out for summer. I am, however, usually expected to do professional development during this time. A couple of my close coworkers know but I just told the others that I have some medical stuff coming up and won't be able to do pd.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you! 2764.png?_nc_eui2=AeEefYK_inFiN8l76Tzo6fi22vCmHB3-b7W8sM7AwMphKhRXll1g1g53Z3bF4V3Bm-hN_26ljiDz1yyO1yRKh4upoEJ9EtK72Bt5hy7yXIQFwg&key=e05a581f6447110e270778144b7acbfb49c44c80f2c9ae4d9b1278ba9c923b6b and added kitten picture just because it makes me happy! [emoji14]

cats.jpg.ad417bdc7ebb7b435f0913b4bfb77709.jpg
Oh and I love the kittens pic. I have a giant black Maine coon and a short hair black and white kitty. I would have all the kittens if I could.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Well you ARE doing your own professional development. You are trimming down and sleekifying yourself for the coming school year. If that isn't important, pffft on them!🐯