Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The photo that was the catalyst to my WLS decision

I am 48 years old. I have been morbidly obese for about 7 years and obese for 20 years. My mother died in 2015 of diabetes and obesity related illnesses which culminated in her dying while I prayed for her in the ER at only 65 years old. My grandmother died in the same hospital of diabetic complications and an amputated foot at only 53 years old. I am a type II diabetic and was in total denial. Was not controlling my glucose levels, was not eating right, not exercising and was developing the SAME issues that my mother experienced. Both of my feet were swollen, discoloured, pressure blisters and red dots all over them from poor circulation and diabetic neuropathy. I had constant pain in my body from sore joints and uncontrolled sugar levels. High blood pressure. No energy and could not stand up more than 5 to 10 minutes max without needing to sit. I was going on job interview after job interview for the last 2 years, qualified and experienced in the positions I was applying for, but not getting the jobs. I started to sense it was my weight - employers whether they will say it or not are concerned that your weight will impede your ability to do work efficiently and if your weight will be a health concern that will result in numerous sick days.

I did not want to end up like my mother and grandmother but I was heading there FAST. I am at the age where my weight was so high, and my hormones so whacky in pre-menopause, that the idea of being able to loose 100 lbs on my own was completely overwhelming to me. I live in a small Caribbean Island and our dollar is lesser than other countries and really did not know how I could afford help. I have not been insured in 12 years because of the diabetes.

I foster dogs for a local animal shelter and I also have 7 recuse dogs. One day the shelter represented came to visit a couple puppies that I had adopted and she took a few photos of me and the dogs. When she sent me the attached photo I cried and cried and cried that night. I always knew I was big but it was like I lived in a strange kind of denial of HOW big I really was. Seeing that photo opened my eyes and I had an 'ah ha' moment and knew that I HAD to do something to change the trajectory of my life, otherwise I would end up in an early death just like the women in my family.

So from the next day I started to change my diet drastically. I began to cut out useless carbs, stop buying my Snacks, cutting down my portion sizes, stop allowing myself to eat the sugar treats whenever I wanted them. I started to see a change in my glucose levels from the next week and until the end of March I was more in control of my sugar levels but weight was not really coming off. In April I started to FEEL better because I had changed my eating habits but knew I needed an intervention to help me get off the kind of lbs I need to loose. So I found great reviews for a bariatric hospital in Mexicali and the cost was SO CHEAP compared to other countries. I started researching and corresponding and booked gastric sleeve surgery the end of May 2018. It was a long journey to get to Mexico from Barbados but I never looked back. I would not recommend the kind of flying I had to do after surgery because its hard on your system (and blood pressure) but I did what I had to do.

I think everyone comes to that 'ah ha' moment when you honestly are just sick and tired of being sick and tired and fed up of not being able to live a full life and being bound to medication. I view the VSG as an intervention and an opportunity to 'reset'. The year or so it will take to loose over 100 lbs will give me the time to learn new habits, get off of insulin, be mobile again to do exercise and LIVE LIFE again. The time for my body to heal from the inflammation, get my heart healthy again and to learn to eat to fuel living and not eat for the sake of comfort.

We have the choice to take control of our future with the KNOWN obstacles that morbid obesity brings. Sure a car could crash into me but that is a different thing to dying from diabetic complications, heart attack and amputations because of weight!

I was in a RUT!!! How my rut looks may be different to yours but the point is that WLS helps with the leverage you need to begin getting out of the rut.

I'm looking forward to my healthier future :)

fattest alison photo.jpg

I'm so glad that you've decided to take charge of your health. If that picture was the catalyst, then blessings to the photographer! Congrats on your progress so far. You have so much to offer the world, it would have been a shame to have your time cut short!

20 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I'm so glad that you've decided to take charge of your health. If that picture was the catalyst, then blessings to the photographer! Congrats on your progress so far. You have so much to offer the world, it would have been a shame to have your time cut short!

Thanks for those kind words. I really appreciate them :)

Wow, that is an amazing story and it is fantastic that you overcame some obstacles to get your VSG. Our stats are almost exactly the same and believe me, I have a similar picture that made me cry...

All the best to you in your journey!! Walking those dogs will be good exercise for you. And BARBADOS!!!!! my favorite island in the Caribbean, we have been there a few times and always take the city bus to Mullens Beach....love it there.

2 hours ago, MIZ60 said:

Wow, that is an amazing story and it is fantastic that you overcame some obstacles to get your VSG. Our stats are almost exactly the same and believe me, I have a similar picture that made me cry...

All the best to you in your journey!! Walking those dogs will be good exercise for you. And BARBADOS!!!!! my favorite island in the Caribbean, we have been there a few times and always take the city bus to Mullens Beach....love it there.

Thanks for the encouragement. It really is a small world isn't it? Sadly over the years and with construction the beach at Mullins is almost non existent :( Its such a pity as I remember it being one of the best beaches on the Island in my 20's. If you come here again, give me a shout

I had a picture of me in my Levi capris and a t- shirt, mind I thought it was a pretty fine one until I noticed how fat, swollen and discolored my lower legs were getting. They were getting to look like those elephant-footed umberella stands.💦😨💦

12 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

I had a picture of me in my Levi capris and a t- shirt, mind I thought it was a pretty fine one until I noticed how fat, swollen and discolored my lower legs were getting. They were getting to look like those elephant-footed umberella stands.💦😨💦

Girl, use that picture to motivate you to stay on track! This photo is on my fridge to do just that

It is , right next to,the refridge handle- as a quiet reminder of where I've been don't ever want to move back to!😛🌈😛

Thank you for sharing your story. I am so moved by it and inspired by you! If you were telling it in person, I'd ask permission to give you a hug of support and gratitude. Sending one virtually instead. :)

@ValJean Aww thank you very much Val. I will take that virtual hug. I appreciate your encouragement.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing :)

Congratulations on your decision to lose the weight and get healthier! I needed surgery desperately, but my doctor wouldnt perform it until I lost 100 pounds. Through the help of the gastric sleeve, I was able to do that. I could of have had a lot more health issues than I did at at starting weight of 334 lbs and 46 yrs old.

I wish you the best, sounds like you're on the road to a successful future and a happier life.

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 2:39 PM, mylighthouse said:

Hello,

Thank you for sharing :)

Congratulations on your decision to lose the weight and get healthier! I needed surgery desperately, but my doctor wouldnt perform it until I lost 100 pounds. Through the help of the gastric sleeve, I was able to do that. I could of have had a lot more health issues than I did at at starting weight of 334 lbs and 46 yrs old.

I wish you the best, sounds like you're on the road to a successful future and a happier life.

Thanks lighthouse. I am 42 lbs down and thrilled at the difference even just this amount has made in my life. I was even out mowing the lawn which is just over an acre! Only 2 months ago I could not stand up for more than 3 or 4 minutes further less push a lawn mower! So these are tremendous victories.

I wish you all the best on your journey to health as well. My ultimate goal is to come off of insulin completely

Here is me mowing the lawn with the rain about to pour and making fun of myself

mow.jpg

Wow...look at you!!! Yes, you are right.....those are tremendous victories! Doesn't that feel great and isn't it encouraging?

There will be so many more victories in your future. :)

Keep up the awesome work!

Cute picture too! :)

I really feel like with this post, you have arrived. Arrived to your destined life and beautiful future. Wish you the best success and happiness.