Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your first food after the liquid stage?

Looking forward to my first "real meal" after the 21 day liquid diet post surgery. What are your suggestions...

liquid stage of my post op diet only lasted a week. After that we'd add one thing at a time to see how it agrees with us. We started with things like strained cream Soup, yogurt, thin cream of wheat....then moved to soft foods like cottage cheese, tuna, potato. As your tolerance improves and time goes on, you add different things, take it slow, chew well, and see how you tolerate them.

You don't really jump from just fluids to some fantasy meal you like...LOL. There's a whole lot of....Yay! I ate refried Beans and an avacado slice today....inbetween.

Some stuff takes longer to eat comfortably. bread was hard for a long time. Six months out, I can eat it comfortably, but for months it was awful. Fibrous meats...baked chicken, steak, chops....took a little longer, too.

For a while, it's all about texture and little teenie quantities.

In truth, your first "real meal" might be about a quarter to a half a cup total.....hopefully with a few good bites of Protein in there.

Where does everyone get these cute tape measure pictures?

4 hours ago, TooFat said:

Looking forward to my first "real meal" after the 21 day liquid diet post surgery. What are your suggestions...

mine was scrambled egg with a teaspoon of salsa.

i ate a lot of this to start. good thing i love it.

2 hours ago, churchgirl said:

Where does everyone get these cute tape measure pictures?

i believe it was under tickers in the drop down box located under your log in name

Refried Beans with a little cheese and hot sauce. It was so good after liquids!

Mine was scrambled eggs with hot sauce and cheese. after 3 1/2 weeks of liquids and cream Soups I was never so excited about eggs as I was then.

My first meal after liquids was fat free refried Beans. I also ate quite a bit of low fat cottage cheese in that phase.

Same as many others, I also first ate fat free refried Beans and scrambled eggs (definitely not together) :P

My best lesson to share with you is this, you won't be able to eat much, so make sure it tastes Delicious! I love Condiments, salsa, curry, etc. A bit of tuna and greek yogurt, think tuna salad. Maybe only 1 T of each...Go slow. There is nothing worse that feeling Too Full. You won't feel it in your stomach, but your shoulder may hurt. I know, weird. Good luck.

I made a black bean puréed Soup. YUM! Then next meal was puréed hard boiled egg with either low fat mayo or Greek yogurt. That’s where I am right now. Love hearing the other options thanks everyone!

I still have 14 days until I get soft foods but I'm dreaming of an egg, 2 bites of grits and a little bite of mushed cantaloupe. --- Is it a bite if you don't chew? In 7 days I can have my spinach and fruit smoothies. I'll be joyful for that!

Mine was a scrambled egg (what little I could eat of it) with just a tiny bit of reduced fat cheddar cheese mixed in. I found that I don’t enjoy whole eggs anymore. I only seem to like egg whites. My dietitian said it was all about experimentation, and it really is.

I think mine is going to be some teeny diced ching is of tofu, if that works, a l8ttle scrambled eggs would be nice , maybe a spoonful or so of ripe mashed banana, we almost always have,banana they are Tomkittens :-Oto'snack,after i,purged the pantry of chips, crackers or pretzels as well as the boxes of cookies., For a while I did buy him chocolate chip,ones, they would be safe from allergic me. Last week he said" No,more, if you can go without those things just buy me bananas.

I remember when I finally got to "soft foods" and at 12:01am I went to the 24/7 grocery store and bought a slice of meatloaf w/o the ketchup on top. When I got home, it felt like I had been in the desert without Water for weeks. I was literally salivating. Mmmmm, that meatloaf saved me!