Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Decisions , decisions, decisions

So I have completed my 24 week classes required by Kaiser, fitness test done and labs done , I am now just waiting for my surgery date , but I have not yet decided on what surgery I want sleeve or by bass.

I started this journey weighing 336 I’m now 305 , I’m 5’7 , and I’ve been a see saw my whole life. I’m leaning towards the by pass becuz I would like to lose the weight rapidly and lose at least 100 lbs , my big hang up about the by pass is the malabsorption, I take an antidepressant daily and I’m afraid I won’t recieve the maximum benefit of my med. so does anyone have advice 😬 . Also any ad ice on Hair loss and preventive measures

Sounds like you've researched your pros and cons pretty well. I chose the sleeve precisely because of the malabsorption issue. One thing you didn't mention, do you have any issues with acid reflux? If so, that skews the decision toward bypass, since the sleeve can make it worse.

I picked bypass because of how much I had to lose! I started at 340. My surgery weight was 311on 4/23 & I'm currently 276.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I would talk to your psych doctor about the issue of your meds. (Are you planning to be on these meds long term, is there another med? Could this dose be less at some point down the road etc.)

You could definitely lose 100 lbs. with either surgery. And I agree with the other poster about GERD. Many people are getting revisions due to GERD

I suffer from major depressive disorder , therefore antidepressants will always be a part of my life , I have an upcoming appointment with my Psych as well as with the surgeon , I will address these things with them , thanks for your advice😃

I chose a sleeve because I didn’t want my intestines messed with, or to have malabsorption issues. Sleeve was less invasive.

As far as how much weight you have to lose, you can lose just as much with a sleeve. A woman I worked with went from 410 to 170 with a sleeve in less than 18 months.

But if you have any issues with heart burn, beware. Sleeves are bad news for people with GERD. I had only mild and occasional heartburn before and I am suffering big time now.

9 hours ago, YeahOkay31 said:

But if you have any issues with heart burn, beware. Sleeves are bad news for people with GERD. I had only mild and occasional heartburn before and I am suffering big time now.

Me, too :(

I Had heartburn prior to my sleeve, it was getting to the stage where it was pretty much constant. As part of my sleeve procedure my dr checked and then fixed my hernia. I’ve had zero heartburn since. Please note I’m only one week post op. Only time will tell if it is permanently gone.

06/10/2018 12:19 PM, Beautfully Flawed said:

So I have completed my 24 week classes required by Kaiser, fitness test done and labs done , I am now just waiting for my surgery date , but I have not yet decided on what surgery I want sleeve or by bass.

I started this journey weighing 336 I’m now 305 , I’m 5’7 , and I’ve been a see saw my whole life. I’m leaning towards the by pass becuz I would like to lose the weight rapidly and lose at least 100 lbs , my big hang up about the by pass is the malabsorption, I take an antidepressant daily and I’m afraid I won’t recieve the maximum benefit of my med. so does anyone have advice 😬 . Also any ad ice on hair loss and preventive measures

You have to remember that the malabsorption aids in weight loss. There is statistically a higher percentage of excess weight loss with the bypass. This is why I chose it, I was 332 when I started.
Also, if you have gerd, don’t do the sleeve. The research is clear on this.

hair loss is inevitable. But I think you can help the severity. Strengthen your hair as much as possible before. I avoided coloring it and making sure it was healthier. I took 10u of Biotin. Getting your Protein in everyday. You will start shedding on your natural shedding cycle, mine started 3 mons post op. Some are before, some after.

I started at 340, I’m also 5.7 I had the sleeve and heartburn constantly, my dr fixed a hernia and I have not had heartburn since either. I’m almost 3 months out and have lost 45 lbs. I chose sleeve because my dr said it had less complication rates and I also didn’t want my intestines messed with. You can lose as much weight as you want on either procedure it’s just always up to you. I also get all the benefit of my medicines I have to take for my arthritis.

4 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Me, too :(

Sorry you are in this unlucky club too, sigh... I just hope I don't end up with a revision. :47_tired_face:

1 hour ago, YeahOkay31 said:

Sorry you are in this unlucky club too, sigh... I just hope I don't end up with a revision. :47_tired_face:

Me, too. I really only wanted to do this once. I'm having such trouble adjusting. I always had the proverbial "cast-iron" stomach. Now it's made of tin foil (and not the good stuff!)

Maybe blown glass and,it will start to explode in teeny tiny shards. Not a happy place .not a healthy situation. I hope and, dare I say,pray? it gets better and better soon. Are you back down to broths and Soups yet? Or are you just playing it by ear?😪

11 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Maybe blown glass and,it will start to explode in teeny tiny shards. Not a happy place .not a healthy situation. I hope and, dare I say,pray? it gets better and better soon. Are you back down to broths and Soups yet? Or are you just playing it by ear?😪

I decided to just do the whole month on Soups and try solids again in July. My husband, bless his heart, keeps trying to tempt me with things he cooks. He just doesn't understand that it's not worth being miserable for 2 hours. I've been making a couple of different soups a week and it's been going ok and my stomach is soooo much better. I see the surgeon for another follow-up tomorrow so I'll see if he has any other suggestions. Thanks for asking!