Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please tell me I’m not the only one!

I am 5 days post op and these Protein Shakes are not cutting it!!!! I want something of some substance even if it is Peanut Butter or cottage cheese! I am so tired of drinking sweet things and am actually hungry. Surely I am not the only one, right?!

I am 5 days post op and these Protein Shakes are not cutting it!!!! I want something of some substance even if it is Peanut Butter or cottage cheese! I am so tired of drinking sweet things and am actually hungry. Surely I am not the only one, right?!

I’m four days post op. I’m actually not using my pain meds. It makes me uncomfortable which helps with hunger. Sometimes I’m so sore the last thing I want is something to eat.

I have been using popsicles and Jello to help too. So far so good but does feel like I’m drinking Protein Shakes and crystal light non stop to ensure I get my ounces.

27 minutes ago, BrookeR said:

I'm 5 days out too. I wouldn't say I'm hungry, but yes the need for something of substance is most definitely there. I have added some chicken Soup by Unjury once a day and that helps significantly. I will also have a sugar free ice pop that I will chew, just to try and convince my mind that in having something that needs to be chewed.

I picked up some blended veggie Soups today and will be talking to my dietitian tomorrow to clear those and I will add some unflavored Protein to them, hopefully they are ok with it because the fickleness soup is great because it isn't sweet. I know my nutrition store has some soups that I'm going to look into as well.

Mental games are what we have to do I guess for the first few weeks.

good luck.

6 minutes ago, RobR44134 said:

I’m four days post op. I’m actually not using my pain meds. It makes me uncomfortable which helps with hunger. Sometimes I’m so sore the last thing I want is something to eat.

I have been using popsicles and Jello to help too. So far so good but does feel like I’m drinking Protein Shakes and crystal light non stop to ensure I get my ounces.

Good to hear your doing well. I was really surprised, I had 1 dose of morphine in the hospital and nothing but Tylenol otherwise, nothing in the last 36 hours. My incision on the right is a little sore but not bad, otherwise I don't notice the other incisions.

Edited by Down South Aussie

My trick was sugar-free Jello. Don't chew well. It's still slippery enough to go down easily, but it takes a while for your stomach to break it down so you get a bit of "fullness" feeling

I am 11 days post op from a sleeve. Don't break the liquid diet guys. Your sleeve needs to heal and seal. I started pureed Soup which was home made that I strained twice at 7 days post op. That really helped satiate me because I was hungry from 3 days post op! Home made soup - with spinach, sweet potato, boiled skinless chicken in it and took it out after and carrots and garlic and onion. Pureed the heck out of it, strained it twice and it felt very nourishing. Technically not really supposed to have until after 10 days but it was very thin but FULL of savory flavour, which I craved. Hang in there and have lots of popsicles and Jello and try the home made soup and strain it.

Oh I’m not going to break the diet. I fear having complications too much. But, at 10 days I can have puréed foods as well such as tuna and cottage cheese and I am stoked!!! I am just ready for savory foods. I’m tired of eating sweet stuff. I tried some broth last night which I liked prior to surgery but cannot do now. I have been drinking sugar free Gatorade for the electrolytes because I don’t want to get dehydrated

26 minutes ago, BrookeR said:

Oh I’m not going to break the diet. I fear having complications too much. But, at 10 days I can have puréed foods as well such as tuna and cottage cheese and I am stoked!!! I am just ready for savory foods. I’m tired of eating sweet stuff. I tried some broth last night which I liked prior to surgery but cannot do now. I have been drinking sugar free Gatorade for the electrolytes because I don’t want to get dehydrated

You can also try a variety of herbal teas. I only put maybe 1/3 packet of sweetener in them, so they're not so sweet. If you're on full liquids, you should be able to do Soups as well. There's a pretty good butternut squash Soup (totally smooth) that is kind of filling and makes your head feel like "yeah, that was a meal." It's in the soup aisle at the grocery store.

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

Is it the one Campbell's makes because I have seen that one.?

25 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Is it the one Campbell's makes because I have seen that one.?

The Campbell's YES Soups are good, I think I've had the butternut squash, and I also like the Tomato carrot bisque. I don't remember who made the butternut squash one that I was talking about, but it was in a carton, like chicken stock. It was just such a nice change from all the sweet stuff.

Here it is: 14765861?wid=488&hei=488&fmt=pjpeg

It is carried at Target and Walmart. There was also a roasted red pepper Soup that I liked. :D

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

Hi BrookeR - 5 days post op and I have been wondering the same thing. I haven't even felt hungry until yesterday. So, I had a 1/4 c cottage cheese. No problem, no nausea. Then I had yogurt - again no problem. This morning I made instant oatmeal with Protein Powder and cinnamon - ground it up in a small grinder first even though the oats were instant - poured on almond milk and it was awesome. I'm not supposed to have it until stage 2 of diet.

So now I am wondering - if I did damage to my sleeve, how would I know? I feel fine. The only problem I've had through this whole thing is that, if I do like a little bit of housework then go to take a shower, I become exhausted - no heavy lifting but a lot of stairs to climb. I have a desk job so I was thinking of going back to work - 6 days post op but then I wonder if I'll get tired there. I've lost 14 lbs in 5 days. Also, I'm 62 years old so maybe it's just because I'm an "older" sleever - have to give myself injections to prevent blood clots for two weeks - but I am amazed that there hasn't been more problems! I hope I didn't screw up by going of the plan!

Instead of broth, try straining Soups. The flavor of the meat and seasonings stays behind and they are usually thicker than broth. Days 4-14 post-op I LIVED for strained beef stew/soups.

2 hours ago, churchgirl said:

Hi BrookeR - 5 days post op and I have been wondering the same thing. I haven't even felt hungry until yesterday. So, I had a 1/4 c cottage cheese. No problem, no nausea. Then I had yogurt - again no problem. This morning I made instant oatmeal with Protein Powder and cinnamon - ground it up in a small grinder first even though the oats were instant - poured on almond milk and it was awesome. I'm not supposed to have it until stage 2 of diet.

So now I am wondering - if I did damage to my sleeve, how would I know? I feel fine. The only problem I've had through this whole thing is that, if I do like a little bit of housework then go to take a shower, I become exhausted - no heavy lifting but a lot of stairs to climb. I have a desk job so I was thinking of going back to work - 6 days post op but then I wonder if I'll get tired there. I've lost 14 lbs in 5 days. Also, I'm 62 years old so maybe it's just because I'm an "older" sleever - have to give myself injections to prevent blood clots for two weeks - but I am amazed that there hasn't been more problems! I hope I didn't screw up by going of the plan!

Churchgirl, I would honestly resist eating those more rich foods until at least 10 days. Your sleeve needs to heal and to SEAL. Digesting those more solid foods I would imagine puts more stress on the digestion process in your small stomach than it should while its trying to seal. Try making home made Soups, blending the heck out of them and then staining them (take out the meat). The flavor is very savory if you put nice seasoning in them. After 10 days you can have all the stuff you are eating now. Stay away from full dairy until after 10 days

I am 12 days post op and only now regaining energy since I can have more substantive things to eat. But I am also a diabetic so perhaps I would get tired more easily anyway. If you can go back to work after 10 days when you are eating more substantive foods maybe you would consider that so your energy would be more up

Edited by BajanSleeve

Thanks Bajan Sleeve

I am diabetic also. Off of diabetes meds until post op appt but my numbers have been good.

Will take your advice - I made broth today - because I can see now why starting this too early could lead me down a slippery slope!

21 minutes ago, churchgirl said:

Thanks Bajan Sleeve

I am diabetic also. Off of diabetes meds until post op appt but my numbers have been good.

Will take your advice - I made broth today - because I can see now why starting this too early could lead me down a slippery slope!

We should keep in touch churchgirl as we are both close surgery dates, diabetics and trying to figure this thing out. I just made a post earlier today asking advice on how diabetics are coping with adjusting insulin. I have not taken long acting, only rapid acting because I am scared what long acting might do. But my numbers have been going up since I am in the phase 2 part of the diet