Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexicali Bariatric Centre (MBC) at the Hospital Almater

I just had Gastric Sleeve surgery 10 days ago at Mexicali Bariatric Centre (MBC) at the Hospital Almater in Mexico. Dr. Rodolfo Wilhelmy and Dr. Edgar Campos were the main surgeons. I can't sing their praises enough! Their team has dedicated pre-surgery contacts who answer every single question imaginable and walk you through what you need to get to Mexicali every step of the way. They pick you up either from the San Diego airport or a near by hotel and take you to the hospital in Mexicali which is about a 2 hour drive plus border crossing time which is longer leaving Mexicali. You are also taken back to the San Diego airport after your surgery (all included in your package)

The Almater Hospital is on par or even better than some hospitals in the West. Its modern, has a lovely atmosphere about it, the nursing staff is very professional, very kind and sweet. There is an English speaking liaison assigned to the Hospital who takes you through each process. Some of the nurses speak a bit of English but I had no issues because I used an English/Spanish translation ap. All of their equipment is top line, modern, extremely clean and I thought it was decorated very nicely (lovely art pieces ). The doctors were attentive, engaging and they checked on you regularly and they spoke English.

You get a private room with ensuite bathroom which is very nice. There is a 3 seater couch and lounge chair in your room which your travel companion can sleep on and stay in your room. You also have the option of renting a near by hotel room for your travel companion which mine did and she took a taxi to see me daily. If you stay at the hospital, bring bedding for the sofa (blanket, sheet). I brought my own blanket for a mattress pad and my own blanket as well as a body pillow. To me, comfort is necessary when in pain. I would recommend you bring a clip on light to clip to the side of your bed as well as a small extension cord so that you do not have to get up and down to switch on lights when you are in pain, especially for when your travel companion is asleep.

I never had any doubts about MBC whatsoever. They have great reviews and I felt safe and comfortable in the hospital and I had confidence in their skills and facilities.

Their cost was SO MUCH cheaper than the USA and Canada, even including all the airfares I had to pay. To me, it was worth the effort to get all the way to Mexico from Barbados.

If you have any questions, feel free to give me a shout.

Edited by BajanSleeve