Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How has Loosing Weight Changed Your Style Picks?

Obviously for most of us, when we loose weight we change the way we dress. Different sizes and different cuts, not to mention different choices all have an impact.

But what I'm curious about - is how has losing weight impacted your sense of style and fashion?

When I was 335 and a size 24, I gravitated towards wide leg pants, fit and flare dresses (always in winter with opaque tights) because it was a favorable profile for my waist-to-hip ratio. I always wore long sleeve tops or dresses (never sleeveless, hated my arms) and also chose a lot of V-neck tops and sweaters. Finding a blazer that wasn't like a box over my top was challenging, so I rarely wore them even though I love the look of a tailored blazer.

I never wore heels, they were just too tough on my feet with 14 hour work days and living and commuting in NYC.

I never wore any skirts shorter than a midi (if at all) because I didn't like the way my legs looked and I hadn't owned a pair of shorts in 15 years.

I didn't mind wearing more form fitting dresses and tops, but it would always be a measured choice with the Shapewear that invariably went under it.

I tended to lean towards classic, tailored cuts and shopped a lot at Eloquii (avoiding things that were too trendy), Talbots and Nordstrom.

Now that I am a size 10/12 and have lots of options, I find myself really enjoying fashion and style. I like the way pencil skirts look on me and I am now comfortable with knee length dresses and skirts. I don't wear shapewear (but I do wear tight shaping panties if I am wearing a clingy skirt).

I am starting to develop a kind of sexy professional style that is fun and funky - mixing up prints and pastels, wearing shorter length pants and different shape pants and lots of skirts! I am getting transition pieces at Asos (good bang for the buck, but beware their clothes are sized huge, so order down in sizes).

I am still loosing so not buying a lot of clothes - but today I subscribed to Rent the Runway to rent different designer pieces and can't wait to mix it up and create a new sense of chic style with a new me.

So how is your new body influencing your sense of fashion? What are you wearing that you never thought you would wear? And oh! don't be afraid to post pics of your new found fashionable selves!

not sure if my comment will be “valid” as i haven’t had surgery yet, but i can’t wait to be able to dress more edgy. i don’t have the confidence currently to wear the sort of semi-goth, edgy look that i’m into, but i can’t wait to be able to wear that. i’m talking super ripped mom jeans with a crop top that meets the high waist, shorts that will show off my tattoos, sheer shirts with a cute bralette, etc. and i absolutely cannot wait to share clothes with one of my friends. she’s a size 14 and dresses freakin adorable in the perfect preppy teacher way (so i clearly fall on both sides of the fashion spectrum) and can’t wait to wear both.

One thing that I lost as I gained weight was the ability to have self expression through my fashion choices. I can’t wait to walk into any store and be able to find clothes that fit. I’m only a little over a month out of surgery, so the weight is only beginning to fall off. I’m already excited to be able to wear things that are “me” rather than choose from the few available options.

I am very much looking forward to wearing sheath dresses, pencil skirts with a blazer, and having my feel not hurt so badly in heels!

On 06/13/2018 at 15:54, sillykitty said:

I am very much looking forward to wearing sheath dresses, pencil skirts with a blazer, and having my feel not hurt so badly in heels!

Sillykitty you’re a woman after my own heart!

On 06/13/2018 at 01:54, sillykitty said:

i can’t even picture a day where heels won’t hurt my feet 🤣

I STILL love the same style of clothing and I'm not having a great time finding it in smaller sizes (long modest maxi dresses, not skin tight fit and flair styles) it's like the assumption is the thinner you are the more skin you want to show... I kind of would like a brand that would make the EXACT same items from size 0-26

Omg totally!!!!

My kids are both super tall so I love that I can wear heels now (I live in 3” wedges!)

I wear shorts, I wear button up shorts, u wear fitted tees and tanks...I have a bit of a boho style most of the time though. I also do the whole althlesiure thing too, because I do yoga and run. I shop at Lululemon a lot.

I got a LOT of things at goodwill and other resale stores until I figured out my style. Great way without investing too much money!

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:54 AM, sillykitty said:

omg the ability to wear heels and be comfortable has been such a shocking and welcome change!!!!

3 hours ago, Kat410 said:

omg the ability to wear heels and be comfortable has been such a shocking and welcome change!!!!

I can't wait!

When I was younger and normal weight, I rarely wore heels. Now I have to wear heels frequently and they kill me. I get them off literally as soon as I can, like in the car after an appointment! I do wedges, espadrilles, kitten heels, anything to still look professional and not die.

I’m very much hippie bohemian style but those cloths are cut smaaaaal so I can’t wait to be little because it’s just always been my style

I used to wear boot cut jeans all of the time. Now I cannot stand them. I also wear pencil skirts and more tailored looking clothes. I just gave away 15 bags of clothes to the Goodwill. Not sorry. I'm not going back to that size and my style has changed.

I'd love to change my style. Unfortunately, the loose skin on my stomach prevents me from wearing tight fitting clothes. I'm all about comfort, so Spanx are just not a day to day option for me.

I would say that I save money shopping now though, so that's something. Plus size clothes are so expensive.

I kept pretty much the same style, just in smaller sizes. I did trade in my bootcut jeans for skinny jeans but I’m a jeans and graphic T-shirts and converse type of girl- always have been.