Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it too easy to drink my water?

A lot of people on the forum say that it's taken them weeks or months to reach 64 oz of Water in a day, but I'm four days post-op and I'm having no problem reaching it. Is this normal? I guess I'm just going through the phase where I'm paranoid about stretching my stomach out, but I just want some reassurance!

Just now, sleevedinschool said:

A lot of people on the forum say that it's taken them weeks or months to reach 64 oz of Water in a day, but I'm four days post-op and I'm having no problem reaching it. Is this normal? I guess I'm just going through the phase where I'm paranoid about stretching my stomach out, but I just want some reassurance!

I've been able to get more than 64oz of Fluid since day 3 or 4 post op. As long as you aren't chugging the Water down and creating unnecessary pressure from it... you should be fine! If there is pain or pressure however, you might want to scale back slightly.

I was one of those that couldn't do Water or other beverages after surgery. The taste/smell of anything was such a turn off it was making me physically sick. I think you are okay if you are sip sip sipping! Remember water passes straight through. You are doing great!

Yup, what Matt said. You're just one of the fortunate ones!

I was getting my fluids in 3-4 days post op as well, took about a week for me to get all of my Protein in as well. As the Matt said, don't push yourself and if you feel pressure or pain you are going too fast but otherwise sip away.

On 06/08/2018 at 13:29, SleeveinIL said:

I was one of those that couldn't do Water or other beverages after surgery. The taste/smell of anything was such a turn off it was making me physically sick. I think you are okay if you are sip sip sipping! Remember Water passes straight through. You are doing great!

How long was it before you could get fluids down. I have surgery 6/6 and can’t keep any fluids truly down

1 minute ago, gully90 said:

How long was it before you could get fluids down. I have surgery 6/6 and can’t keep any fluids truly down

I didn't do a good job and ended up in the ER a week later for fluids. It was between 2 - 3 weeks before I could drink enough. Someone here suggested I use sugar free Hawaiian punch added to Water and that did the trick for me. I could tolerate the smell and taste. I am 14 weeks post sleeve now and I can do water very easily now. It was just a slow transition. BTW - I was a horrible water drinker prior to surgery so I wasn't shocked at my first couple of weeks. Same thing happened when I went through chemo. I would have to get fluids for 3 days after each chemo treatment.

Thank you!! My doctors office called and said if I can’t hold any down today then I need to go to the hospital and get fluids

2 hours ago, Matt Z said:

I've been able to get more than 64oz of Fluid since day 3 or 4 post op. As long as you aren't chugging the Water down and creating unnecessary pressure from it... you should be fine! If there is pain or pressure however, you might want to scale back slightly.

Thank you!

5 hours ago, sleevedinschool said:

I’m the same, finding Water easy to consume. Are you using your camelback? That might be making it easier as it’s designed for sipping?

i invested in a water purifier about a year ago and my water intake tripped, the taste is so clean.

I drink ~2litres of water a day at the moment, more in the hotter months (its winter in Australia). I use a drink bottles over glasses and my camelback when walking.

You're just lucky! I can drink Water with no problem too. I can even take big gulps. I can't get the full 64oz yet but that's because I get so full. I wouldn't worry about it tho! You're doing great

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, Pearldrop said:

I’m the same, finding Water easy to consume. Are you using your camelback? That might be making it easier as it’s designed for sipping?

i invested in a Water purifier about a year ago and my water intake tripped, the taste is so clean.

I drink ~2litres of water a day at the moment, more in the hotter months (its winter in Australia). I use a drink bottles over glasses and my camelback when walking.

I'm not using the camelback yet, I'm just using the 32 oz jug I got from the hospital.

It is normal to be able to drink semi-normally right out of the box, but the other end of the "normal" spectrum is to have varying degrees of inflammation in the newly cut stomach which impedes flow and makes it an effort to get enough in initially.