Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, Lock down the guys/gals rooms by gender!!

9 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

Dude, you are trying to disprove the validity of people with gender dysphoria...which is a real condition that is fully recognized by the American Psychiatric Association....by saying "it's just like they think they're animals"

Dehumanizing people is a strategy that has been historically employed by proponents of slavery and genocide.

And you seriously wonder why some folks experience your remarks as bigoted?

Free speech does not mean speech free of consequences.

People do form opinions of those who say thoughtless things.

I was not comparing them to animals i was using the example of "otherkin" which is also a group of people who think they are something they are not (look it up if you don't believe me on that one). Secondly the APA has always been highly political, which is why in the past when being gay was thought of as deviant it was also labeled as a mental illness. I am not dehumanizing those that think they are transgender, they are just as human as me. I just don't believe you can change your sex/gender.

Do you know what you sound like? You sound EXACTLY like the ignorant people who have never struggled with their weight a day in their like...who express THIS loud opinion: "Fat people are just lazy and need to stop eating. They don't need surgery, it's the easy way out. They are in denial about the truth. What they really need to do....is put down the sandwich and candy bar and stop making our insurance rates go up with unnecessary butcher surgery that just makes doctors wealthy. They're just going to eat themselves fat again anyway."

Why be an expert on something you clearly know nothing about? Particularly when your comments are degrading to others, negative, and based on your very limited perspective.

If you don't have an intimate understanding of gender identity difference....maybe it's one of those topics you should avoid having big public opinions about. (cause, you know....you come off like an asshat... just like the thin people who think they know everything about being fat)

Again....Free speech does not mean speech free of consequences.

Edited by Creekimp13

1 minute ago, Creekimp13 said:

If you don't have an intimate understanding of gender identity difference....maybe it's one of those topics you should avoid having big public opinions about. (cause, you know....you come off like an asshat... just like the thin people who think they know everything about being fat)

What makes you think I know nothing about it? Just because I disagree doesn't mean I know nothing about it. There are a large number of doctors, biologist, psychologists, and other professionals that have studied it that also don't believe that a change of gender is possible and it is a dysmorphia just like other types (mentioned earlier in this thread) and the best treatment is to bring the patients' minds into alignment with reality rather than humoring that delusion. Hell there are even people who have transitioned and then gone back that believe that the current way of handling it is wrong. And just as people who disagreed when the consensus that homosexuality was a mental illness spoke out against the mainstream consensus were told to shut up people who go against the mainstream will always be shouted down and called all manner of names. I won't be silent just because you disagree with me.

So...you are a gay dude who wants to keep the women out of the guy's room?

Can you help me to understand what topics must be segregated by physical gender on a weight loss support board, and why?

I'm genuinely curious about this.

By not supporting banning the opposite sex from different message boards....by your logic....it could be argued that I'm just helping to bring your mind into alignment with reality....rather than humoring the delusion that we live in a gender segregatable society.

Edited by Creekimp13

9 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

So...you are a gay dude who wants to keep the women out of the guys room?

Can you help me to understand what topics must be segregated by physical gender on a weight loss support board, and why?

I am a straight guy who fully supports gay rights. But the reason for that is sometimes men and women are uncomfortable speaking about sensitive gender specific topics with the other sex chiming in. Some guys may want to discuss how the surgery may affect things like erectile dysfunction or "man boobs", perhaps some women are uncomfortable discussing their menstrual cycle or changes to their breasts or genital areas. Some people aren't uncomfortable with it and that is fine but others are, and if you are going to have the guys/gals only forum rooms I think it would be better if they were locked down.

I think expressing that is fine.

I think using it as a platform to degrade people who have noncisnomative gender experiences...is bigoted.

And....noncisnormative gender experienced people will always be part of the equation when you're talking about gender bans.

You might want such a change....and if you bought a TON...and I mean a METRIC TON of stuff from the bariatric store....you might get your wish.

But ultimately, from a business standpoint, I think Alex would be unwise to create perceptions of discrimination.

But since it's his site, he can certainly make any rules he wishes.

My gut feeling, though....is that most folks are satisfied with the honor system for using those boards and your request is not worth the hassle of potentially excluding a good customer and contributor.

6 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

I think expressing that is fine.

I think using it as a platform to degrade people who have noncisnomative gender experiences...is bigoted.

And....noncisnormative gender experienced people will always be part of the equation when you're talking about gender bans.

You might want such a change....and if you bought a TON...and I mean a METRIC TON of stuff from the bariatric store....you might get your wish.

But ultimately, from a business standpoint, I think Alex would be unwise to create perceptions of discrimination.

But since it's his site, he can certainly make any rules he wishes.

My gut feeling, though....is that most folks are satisfied with the honor system for using those boards and your request is not worth the hassle of potentially excluding a good customer and contributor.

Well obviously there are those that agree with both keeping them open and closed, so I guess we will indeed see.

It looks as though they've already pinned a request to the top of the board asking women to allow men only to use that board. (which is nice, because this allows some personal discretion on gender identity)

I'm fairly sure that will be viewed by the community as enough.

(could be wrong...but any more seems like overkill among adults interacting freely on a message board given the discrimination liability)

The whole thing is sort of a moot point. Those boards simply aren't used very much. The vast majority of people are more focused on community inclusive weight loss topics.

Edited by Creekimp13

On 06/09/2018 at 23:12, Syntax_Attack said:

Well obviously there are those that agree with both keeping them open and closed, so I guess we will indeed see.

I’m just glad in the meantime all these community members will get to read about your “views” and hopefully the next time they scroll past your name, they will just roll their eyes and not give you the time of day, I know I won’t.
The sad thing is, the beginning of this post, we had a respectful conversation about change. And I supported, not agreed, but supported the decision to lock down gender rooms. But, one decision to speak about something you clearly don’t understand may make you a lot of enemies.

On 06/09/2018 at 22:27, Creekimp13 said:

This is a rule of life to live by.

On 06/09/2018 at 22:22, Creekimp13 said:

Do you know what you sound like? You sound EXACTLY like the ignorant people who have never struggled with their weight a day in their like...who express THIS loud opinion: "Fat people are just lazy and need to stop eating. They don't need surgery, it's the easy way out. They are in denial about the truth. What they really need to do....is put down the sandwich and candy bar and stop making our insurance rates go up with unnecessary butcher surgery that just makes doctors wealthy. They're just going to eat themselves fat again anyway."

Why be an expert on something you clearly know nothing about? Particularly when your comments are degrading to others, negative, and based on your very limited perspective.

Agreed! Seeing how easily closed minded and judgmental he can be, I can draw that relation as well.

5 hours ago, AshAsh1 said:

I’m just glad in the meantime all these community members will get to read about your “views” and hopefully the next time they scroll past your name, they will just roll their eyes and not give you the time of day, I know I won’t.
The sad thing is, the beginning of this post, we had a respectful conversation about change. And I supported, not agreed, but supported the decision to lock down gender rooms. But, one decision to speak about something you clearly don’t understand may make you a lot of enemies.

If I make enemies of people for simply having a different point of view then those are the type of intolerant people I don't care to have as friends anyway.

If you can lock people out of the Veterans c forum I suspect you can do it here also.